What I learned after a 9000 mile tour on my Daytona - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Trip reports Been on tour? Tell everyone about it here. Old threads may later be moved to the regional forums.

post #31 of 158 Old 12-04-12, 11:24
Logans08Daytona675

I would do it but not on that bike! Ive done 1100 in a day and with a throttle lock and pilot power 2 cts I was quite happy yet I was on the coast of cali near the water and 70 deg most of the way

http://www.loganwildphoto.com

28,000 miles and counting
The Following User Says Thank You to Logans08Daytona675 For This Useful Post:
ododicssork (03-24-14)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 158 Old 12-04-12, 15:26
speedfreak

That's insane, it took me almost 2 years to get to 9k miles! Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
post #33 of 158 Old 12-26-12, 15:11
Rink675

Nice job man, I did a 2200mi trip from CA to MN on a CBR600RR. Not sure if you went through Colorado but that was my favorite part, going through tunnels at the bottom of mountains and the scenery was just amazing!

I traveled those 2200mi in 2.5 days so I averaged 880mi per day if you do the math. Sun up to sun down I was on the bike and only stopped for gas and hotel at night.

So you say your ipod doesn't truly shuffle.....yea I noticed that too! lol I got so bored once I got into the midwest with all of the flat and straight highways that I would try entertaining myself by trying to get the attention of the car beside me.....however it truly shows how much lack of attention people show when driving because none of them even glanced over. Never seen anyone so fixated on going completely straight on 4 wheels lol

2200mi was pretty bad but well worth the trip! You have my respect, I will never do 9k on a sportbike hahaha!

2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
post #34 of 158 Old 02-15-13, 09:52
hazexban
Moderator, Chatbox Comedian & Race Team Sponsor

post #35 of 158 Old 02-21-13, 04:34
Logans08Daytona675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink675 View Post
Nice job man, I did a 2200mi trip from CA to MN on a CBR600RR. Not sure if you went through Colorado but that was my favorite part, going through tunnels at the bottom of mountains and the scenery was just amazing!

I traveled those 2200mi in 2.5 days so I averaged 880mi per day if you do the math. Sun up to sun down I was on the bike and only stopped for gas and hotel at night.

So you say your ipod doesn't truly shuffle.....yea I noticed that too! lol I got so bored once I got into the midwest with all of the flat and straight highways that I would try entertaining myself by trying to get the attention of the car beside me.....however it truly shows how much lack of attention people show when driving because none of them even glanced over. Never seen anyone so fixated on going completely straight on 4 wheels lol

2200mi was pretty bad but well worth the trip! You have my respect, I will never do 9k on a sportbike hahaha!
Yeahhh thats insane

http://www.loganwildphoto.com

28,000 miles and counting
post #36 of 158 Old 02-25-13, 13:01
Merk_RR

Wow 9k mile trip? That's insane, but in a good way
post #37 of 158 Old 03-17-14, 03:29
coh4777

Geez I did a trip from Vegas to LA and back one weekend and I thought that was an accomplishment!
post #38 of 158 Old 03-25-14, 10:09
TDFbound

The left side of your tire wears out first on long rides because of crowned roads- the road slopes down from the center. Not sure if you already knew that or not, but on long trips the left will always wear first.
post #39 of 158 Old 05-17-14, 01:00
Rammstein675

I would be a corpse if I did this.
post #40 of 158 Old 04-03-15, 17:56 Thread Starter
The Underdog
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Coming back to this thread three years later.

Thanks everyone for all the cool compliments. I'm just a novice biker that got away with doing a long trip without dying. That was such a weird time in my life. I had just been fired from a job for saying the F word. I had just fallen out with a girl I had been hanging out with for a year. We were supposed to go to Europe together but I had to end up going by myself because I'd already paid for shit when she kicked me out of her life (because I told her I was in love with her...) This trip happened a few weeks after getting back from that.

So yeah, I didn't set out to do 9000 miles on a sport bike. That's just silly. I actually set out to run away from my problems and I didn't care about anything sensible.

First, I was just going to visit my family in Houston Texas. Tail of the dragon and Blue Ridge was on the way so I did them. Then my one high school friend lived in Austin, so that wasn't much farther. Then my one Army friend lived in Tucson, so that wasn't much farther. Then two high school friends in Los Angeles, another Army friend in Monterey, another friend in Denver, one in Kansas, one in West Virginia, and before I knew it, bang... Lap of the country.

Almost died 3 times.

Time#1 - Went to pass traffic on Highway 1 on the California coast. Somehow didn't see oncoming cars and had to ride the centerline. Got lucky on that one. That could have been a head on collision with a roll down a cliff to the ocean.

Time#2 - Riding highway 36 across Northern California about 4 days later. Middle of nowhere, riding at a brisk pace (had like 5000 miles worth of constant riding to boost confidence at this point), front end hit gravel that was in a shadow, washed out and caught at the last millisecond before eating shit and ending up in a valley 50 miles from anything. Right leg instinctively tried to go down and catch the fall (something that would work on a bicycle), got whipped back by the rushing pavement, and hit my passenger peg, producing a nice fat, blood soaked bruise on my calf.

Time#3 - about 10 minutes after time#2, I did the exact same thing AGAIN only didn't hit my leg. Toned it right the **** down after that.

Besides all the motorcycle related stuff I learned on the ride, I learned a lot about myself too. I learned that a lot of the people I visited had bigger problems than me. Hadn't seen anyone in over ten years, since we were in our teens or early 20's. Visited a total of twelve people and only 3 were doing well. Everyone else was a mess. Families with drug problems, broken marriages, bad decisions that had set the tone for the rest of some people's lives. Most places I visited, I was thankful that in a day or two I was going to be getting on my bike and rolling the hell out of there. I felt thankful that I even had the option of going on a soul searching trip. There's some hard times going on out there. If you've got a job, a bike, and a place to ride, take stock. You're in a good place. Take care of your life, think about what you do, what you spend money on, who you marry, and don't screw it up.

Now for some happy ending type shit...

Not long after my big trip, I started dating another girl. It was prolly too soon coz still feelings for the first girl but whatever, somehow I didn't screw it all up. She was different right from the start. She was actually in to me romantically. I didn't have to walk on egg shells with her. She wasn't *****y, she didn't constantly take things I said the wrong way. It wasn't like trying to live up to an impossible standard all the time. She also had a ZX6R!! Going on year 3 now and we are still together and things are still good. Still have our bikes, still ride together. We are going on a big trip soon, so I may have to post up a thread about that. I don't want to jinx it by running my mouth but it's going to be fairly epic.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Underdog For This Useful Post:
Akeller (04-08-15), chielmi (04-06-15), damion (04-03-15), Glocken (04-07-15), Lorik Quiin (04-05-15), MadMel (04-04-15), Nastybutler (04-04-15), st3Grl (04-11-15), trumppking (04-04-15), Zaph (04-05-15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement