Track day insurance. - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-30-12, 11:02   #21
lokodog

My wife and I switched insurance companies to AAA a while back and I asked about trackday coverage for the bike. Each time I called back and they checked the notes they thought it was odd that coverage for the bike was not covered. I pretty much had to explain the track to them and why it wasn't covered each time. Underwriters ended up looking into it and they are the ones who denied it.

The Long Beach Motorcycle Show is coming up next weekend and I'm going to be asking about insurance from all the vendors there.

2007 Graphite 675 (stock)

Times
Fontana: 1:47.467 (Dunlop Q2)
Chuckwalla CCW: 2:13.3 (Pirelli Superbike Pro)
Buttonwillow 2:11.81 (Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SC2)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-12, 12:53   #22
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedude View Post
Shopped around for new insurance a few months ago. I sat there with the agent and had her call underwriters from every insurance company I was looking at to see if they covered track days, aka "closed circuit training", aka non timed events, etc...

Bottom line, if you live in NY Foremost is the only one that covers track days, and their rates for me are pretty high.

"slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
Could you get a mailbox at a UPS store in New Jersey? Then you could get Riders insurance. They cover the track, and have great rates I hear.

http://www.rider.com/

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881

Old 11-30-12, 17:51   #23
Papachristou

i wished i knew someone who lived in a RIDER insurance state. i'd definitely do that. they seem to be the only ones. SF used to but they got really vague when i asked them about it.
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Old 12-01-12, 04:48   #24
firedude
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
Could you get a mailbox at a UPS store in New Jersey? Then you could get Riders insurance. They cover the track, and have great rates I hear.

I've thought about it, but my only qualm with that is if the bike gets stolen out of my father's garage in NY am I going to run into any headaches. I've had people tell me that the homeowners insurance will cover it, but the agent I did my shopping with told me since the loan and registration is all in my name, it's my problem if someone decides to run off with it and I don't feel like coming up with excuses why it wasn't where I told them it would be stored.

For now, I'm gonna switch to dairlyland this week. Their quote is 40% cheaper than what I'm paying progressive right now. I'm not worried about the track day coverage for now since the daytona won't see a racetrack till next season. My ultimate plan is to pick up a track bike next year. Preferably another 675 but I'm not gonna be picky, just gonna look for something I on craigslist that I won't lose any sleep over if I go down at the track. If I can't make it happen then I'm just gonna have to suck it up and pay foremost.

I've done 3 track days so far on the 675 without being covered on the track and haven't taken any spills. My last one I managed to save a high side, and I've come to the conclusion that the more you develop your skills on the racetrack the higher the chance is you're going to go down doing so. I don't want to have the headache of dragging the remains of a bike to a parking lot and explaining to my insurance my made up story and/or getting stuck with a totalled bike that I'm gonna have to foot the bill for while still having 6k left on the bank loan.

Old 12-01-12, 21:12   #25
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedude View Post
I've thought about it, but my only qualm with that is if the bike gets stolen out of my father's garage in NY am I going to run into any headaches. I've had people tell me that the homeowners insurance will cover it, but the agent I did my shopping with told me since the loan and registration is all in my name, it's my problem if someone decides to run off with it and I don't feel like coming up with excuses why it wasn't where I told them it would be stored.

For now, I'm gonna switch to dairlyland this week. Their quote is 40% cheaper than what I'm paying progressive right now. I'm not worried about the track day coverage for now since the daytona won't see a racetrack till next season. My ultimate plan is to pick up a track bike next year. Preferably another 675 but I'm not gonna be picky, just gonna look for something I on craigslist that I won't lose any sleep over if I go down at the track. If I can't make it happen then I'm just gonna have to suck it up and pay foremost.

I've done 3 track days so far on the 675 without being covered on the track and haven't taken any spills. My last one I managed to save a high side, and I've come to the conclusion that the more you develop your skills on the racetrack the higher the chance is you're going to go down doing so. I don't want to have the headache of dragging the remains of a bike to a parking lot and explaining to my insurance my made up story and/or getting stuck with a totalled bike that I'm gonna have to foot the bill for while still having 6k left on the bank loan.

So you were visiting you dad and your bike was stolen. I can't imagine an insurance company fighting that.

Once you have the insurance you can go wherever in the country you want. No one could ever stipulate: We cover you, as long as you don't park it in your dad's garage in NYC.

I say go for the gusto, and get that mail box. There is no way they would not pay out for a visit to NYC. It's not your fault NY has the silly rules that keep you from being insured for the track. I couldn't even consider it a lie at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 12-03-12, 17:22   #26
FRide5385

I don't understand how this would work. Your license would still be out of state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post

Old 12-03-12, 17:43   #27
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRide5385 View Post
I don't understand how this would work. Your license would still be out of state...
You would have to register the motorcycle to the mailbox address. You would have New Jersey plates.

Old 12-03-12, 18:45   #28
wvstr

Replacing your bike is cheaper than insurance fraud, either get a track bike, or spares to fix it if you do crash, if you aren't prepared to take your bike home in a pile, then don't take it to the track. Track riding is great fun and improves your skill set, but there are consequences you need to prepare for like crashing and getting hurt, does your health insurance cover injuries if you get hurt and lost wages if you can't work all things to consider before ever going.

Old 12-04-12, 08:24   #29
soulpatch

Def glad I live in a state with Rider but I am still paranoid and every year for renewal I make sure to call them, talk to an underwriter, and ensure we are on same page with track riding. Then I make them put a note on my policy about our convo and will call back about 2 weeks later to ensure note is on there. Yes paranoid and a bit crazy. LOL

I really wish someone woudl come up with track only insurance. I will ride the GSXr on the street and the 675 will be track only so why should I have to pay for liability and such when that is not applicable at the track. Every rider assumes risk stepping foot on the track. Either you ball up your own bike or someone takes you down. unlike street you can't go after that other person for insurance payout. So liability and is a moot point.

Old 12-04-12, 09:00   #30
speedfreak

One of my friends crashed his bike at the track and he said that State Farm paid to get it fix. He said the secret is in what you say on the claim. He told me that he emphasized that he was at a track with a motorcycle SCHOOL ( ride smart) in a learning environment, it was not a competition nor a lap timed event. He was there to learn how to ride better on the street. Surprisingly he said that State Farm covered his claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement