2013 Daytona 675 & 675R first look - Page 13 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 12-02-12, 09:27   #121
bupton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I don't recall any current street bikes that use a plastic tank other then some dual sports.
Quite a few current street bikes used plastic tanks. Ducati still has them, MV has them, Aprilia has them, KTM has them, as well as several of the Japanese companies to boot. And as far as weight goes, the nylon tanks generally weigh a good bit less than steel tanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-12, 13:19   #122
Logans08Daytona675

Older speed triples had plastic tanks.

Old 12-02-12, 13:32   #123
MacBandit

Yes older Triumphs had plastic tanks. I did say "modern" meaning current. Currently the only street (non-enduro) KTM sold in the USA is the RC8 and I do believe it has a metal tank. The Ducati I can't say anything about other then I do know they had huge problems with those in the past and I kind of figured they quit making the plastic tanks. As for weight the last time I compared two identical tanks one in plastic and one in steel they were pretty much the same weight with the steel one having the slight edge. Granted this was in 1997 when BMW switched from plastic to steel with the R1100GS. Beyond steel however if you make a tank out of aluminum it is far far lighter then an identical plastic tank. I stand by my claim that the only advantage to plastic is durability, mainly for off road bikes.

Old 12-02-12, 14:56   #124
bupton

RC8 series bikes have tanks made of the same PA6 nylon that most street bikes have. Acerbis makes these tanks, same as they do for most other manufacturers. Hell, even some Harleys are coming with these tanks. There are actually very few companies that are using metal these days, with Triumph and Yamaha being among them. As far as the weight goes, steel tanks are approximately 25% heavier than the nylon tanks. Yes, aluminum tanks are lighter, but there are VERY few companies offering those on their bikes, with the Panigale and the new 848SE being the only two that readily come to mind.

Old 12-02-12, 15:51   #125
MacBandit

Every Japanese sport bike I've worked on in the last couple years has been steel. BMW use to do a lot of aluminum tanks.

I get the point however there are apparently a lot of plastic tanks out there on bikes I haven't had any interaction with and apparently modern plastic tanks are lighter then they were 10 years ago.

Personally I prefer metal. They look better and there's no chance of swelling. I was just thinking the other day about how plastic panels on cars and bikes just don't have that crisp beautiful line smoothness that classic cars and bikes had that were all metal m

Last edited by MacBandit; 12-02-12 at 15:56.

Old 12-05-12, 18:12   #126
Saden

Former owner of an '07, was planning on getting a new 675 when the last payment was made on my '09 WRX.

That horrible exhaust has stopped me dead in my tracks, and with only a few more months until the car is paid off too...

Anyone started asking dealers what kind of discounts/offers they will be having on left over 2012s?

Old 12-05-12, 18:43   #127
LennyZ87

you can still get an old style billed as a '13, i did.
1989 Yamaha FZR600 (sold)
cars:
03 Pontiac Grand Am GT
72 AMC Javelin AMX

Old 12-05-12, 18:47   #128
hefdukes23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saden View Post
Former owner of an '07, was planning on getting a new 675 when the last payment was made on my '09 WRX.

That horrible exhaust has stopped me dead in my tracks, and with only a few more months until the car is paid off too...

Anyone started asking dealers what kind of discounts/offers they will be having on left over 2012s?
Yeah, I got a "2013" as well. Same model as the "2012" just manufacturing date dictated it as a 13. I didn't get much off as a "leftover" because it's the Sulphur Yellow special edition and they weren't willing to haggle. Though the extra bits on it were worth the price to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

There's a reason you've never seen a motorcycle outside a Shrink's office...

2013 Daytona 675 - Sulphur Yellow
2007 Daytona 675 - Graphite (SOLD)
2004 GSX-R 600 (SOLD)

Old 12-05-12, 18:58   #129
LennyZ87

maybe im just to used to cars, i was amazed that mine is even considered a '13 seeing it was born 04/12. the dealer i went to was really nice and had great people but wouldn't come down at all on the price, but i did get a free tank bag, so i at least got something.

back on topic, yeah im not too fond of the new '13s, im hoping by spring the dealer i went to has one so i can physically look at it just for kicks. it does suck that they ditched the projectors and under-tail exhaust, but hey ya never know in a few years they could do a facelift and at least bring back the projectors. even tho im not a huge fan of it, but im surprised it took this long for Triumph to have abs and the other electronic stuff. im just kinda old-school and like to try to be smarter then my car/bike.
1989 Yamaha FZR600 (sold)
cars:
03 Pontiac Grand Am GT
72 AMC Javelin AMX

Old 12-05-12, 20:32   #130
crev-dog

When I 1st saw the 2013 I was repulsed.. with the Buell like 1125r front end to the Suzuki Gladius subframe to the ugly Honda-esk exhaust.. its got nothing on my 2007 D675..

But with a custom paint job, different mirrors and a new aftermarket exhaust.. I'd make room for it!

I just don't see it as having the same sex appeal as the older ones..

It reminds me of the current gen R1.. except not quite as ugly as the R1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement