Triumph 675 Forums banner

How do I remove the lock from the filler cap?

5K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
Hey

I ordered a new tank from worldoftriumph, it came with a new cap and I didn't understand why until I tried mounting my old one and found that a couple of bolt holes don't line up.

Obviously they included the new cap sans lock for this reason, but how do I move the locking barrel to the new gas cap? will this need to be done by a locksmith?

#3 ·
I don't believe there is a way without destroying the old cap. Triumph does this with the saddlebags too (requiring cutting the housing apart to get the lock out).

I could be wrong about the filler cap though since I haven't tried with one of them but if there aren't bolts to take it apart then that's what they intend.

#4 ·
I got it out, when I put it in the new cap it won't turn, I'm guessing I need a locksmith to cut the cap to suit my barrel+key. maybe someone with better expierence of locks can tell me what I'm looking at here:

Here's how to remove the barrel.
Step 1: remove the gas cap from the bike, then undo the 2 screws on the red section of the lock.
Set the rear half of the lock, the ring and springs aside and you should see this:

Step 2: Remove the rubber o-ring and you should see the first brass washer

Step 3: push down on one side of the brass washer until the other end pokes out and remove it, do the same for the brass washer underneath it

Step 4: you should be left with this, push the retaining pin back into the barrel and slide your barrel out

#5 ·
Could do what I did and spring for a keyless gas cap :)

#7 ·
Cheers, I'll have another go tonight, i thought I had it in the same way as the old one but who knows.
I guess a lack of sufficient lubrication could also contribute? the barrel does actually rotate just not very much. maybe it's sticking or too tight or something.

I'm guessing the tank + cap are the 2012 parts sprayed with the colour and decals from 08? they wouldn't have old tanks sitting around I guess.

#9 ·
Awesome, thanks dude!

If I want to get a new metal cap for the top of the lock (because I bent the one on my gas cap) do you reckon I can just buy a new locking barrel that's meant to be used on triumph panniersor something? I can't find a part number for just the tank locking barrel or anything. I get why that would be though.
I've found Part number T2500693 for "Locking Barrel" but have no idea what bike or lock it is for.

#10 ·
Just thought I'd update this to let you know that it did indeed work, it still didn't turn but it was because the barrel needed to be lubed. the old one was full of graphite but the new one only had a fine layer of grease.

#13 ·
Honestly I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think the saddlebag locks are the same on the other bikes and if you did get a replacement lock then it wouldn't be the same as the ignition. That cover is only there to keep large objects out of there to prevent the lock from being jammed from junk getting in there. It doesn't keep dust or water out and there is the filler cap flap that does the rest of the job. if it really bothers you just yank it out altogether as it really isn't necessary on the filler cap since it has the flap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.