Triumph aftermarket brake lever issue? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 11-30-12, 23:58   #1
LeeHam

Default Triumph aftermarket brake lever issue?

Has anyone else got the Triumph aftermarket levers and have an issue with the lever attachment bolt being loose and giving the lever a lot of up/down play? I've tried tightening it however there is no room for a socket, and the allen key just spins. There is probably ~15-20mm of vertical play at the end of the lever, feels kinda flimsy and I am concerned about it becoming loose and loosing front brake use affecting confidence. Interestingly it came like this straight out of the packet.

Pics of the bolt in question:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080165.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	34218 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080166.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	34219

Last edited by LeeHam; 12-01-12 at 23:05. Reason: typo edit - m instead of mm for lever play, updated measurement after riding

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-12, 03:15   #2
LeeHam

Anyone?

Did my head in on a ride today paranoid about it falling out (don't think it's going to as it is tight, just not sure if it is right). That was until I holed my rear tire good after hitting a hundred metres or so of smashed glass on the road :(

Old 12-13-12, 17:47   #3
PCFRonin

is there a sleeve in the OEM lever that can be swapped over?... or am I thinking of the pivot bolt

Old 12-13-12, 18:25   #4
LeeHam

Had a reply from another forum member who has used them for around 10k kms - there is a fair bit of free play in his too but no issues as yet. More movement than I would have expected is all.

Old 12-16-12, 16:02   #5
Juz

Pretty sure there was a little brass insert that you take out of the original lever and put in to the new lever. I've had mine on for 2 years so cant remember for sure but my levers do not have much play in them.

Old 12-16-12, 16:51   #6
Josh675

^ spot on, there is a brass sleeve that needs to be swapped over, I did mine recently and it would be loose without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

Old 12-16-12, 17:13   #7
LeeHam

Thanks for trying guys but as per the first post, the looseness/movement is all based around the pin/bolt( as circled in the images), and cannot be tightened/undone due to physical reasons with nut positioning and tool access.

The brass sleeve goes in the pivot spot between the mount and the lever assembly (to the left of the bolt in question) - this was done with a bit of lube when installed.

Old 12-16-12, 19:16   #8
MadMel

Stick to cheap Chinese eBay levers, and you don't have these problems.

Old 12-17-12, 20:55   #9
Juz

Photo?

Take it all off and take the brass sleeve out. (It goes in the lever itself).
The bold should slide through the brass sleeve and be a snug fit.

Possibly wrong bolt on there?

PM me to remind me. I will take mine off and take a photo for you.

Old 12-18-12, 01:02   #10
LeeHam

Again, it is not that bit and as above I used the brass sleeve from my last triumph lever to go in the bit where it is supposed to (and it fits fine with no movement there).

Have a close look at the two pics in the first post if you will - the circled pin and bolt is the one that is causing the movement, and there is no way I know of to get to it either to undo it or tighten it up due to access on the otherside, and the bolt just spins otherwise. The bolt is itself is tight but there is a lot more movement that one would expect and it feels really flimsy, like it needs a small washer or or maybe a little bit thicker metal on the inside of the brake mount to stop the wobble. No amount of tightening will fix it as you would need to bend the metal mount in closer.

The clutch lever is fine with no movement, and it is a pain in the ass because it was purchased from Pure Triumph in the states and I am pretty sure any aussie dealer is just going to say not their problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement