Dealing with rust/pitting - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 11-29-12, 16:53   #1
moanthebairns

Default Dealing with rust/pitting

I bought a second hand 2006 daytona a few months or so ago.

It only had 1000 miles on the clock and I got it for a steal. The Only thing wrong with it is that it was showing signs of rust/pitting in places.

Ive since replaced rusted bolts and washers etc, now I need tackle the pitting on the engine, footrests, discs and a bit of rust at the front left fork leg.

Anyone else had problems with rust/pitting. How did you get rid of it? Whats the do's and donts.

I plan to just use some autosol and get what I can off, then acf-50 the whole bike to solve the problem. It could be that the previous owner never kept in a garage. He put it in a huge carrier bag that couldnt breath and caused it more harm than good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-12, 17:23   #2
Decipher

That poor thing must have been exposed to ALL the elements. I can't even imagine how this happens. It sounds like a decent plan to start but I've never had to do something so extensive. Good luck and post up some before and after pics so we can admire your work!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using motorcycle app

Old 11-29-12, 18:34   #3
llenta
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moanthebairns View Post
I need tackle the pitting...footrests, discs and a bit of rust at the front left fork leg.

the perfect solution would be a set of attack rear sets, some galfer rotors, and a set of Ohlins .

But seriously, a green scotch bright pad does wonders on the rotors and fork leg. It's abrasive enough to get the rust off and clean it, but not so much that you will do any damage to the metal. Just take your time, it shouldn't take more then 10 minutes or so for each one.

I'm sure the same could be done for the engine, but I'm not sure.

Old 11-30-12, 01:20   #4
MacBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decipher View Post
That poor thing must have been exposed to ALL the elements. I can't even imagine how this happens. It sounds like a decent plan to start but I've never had to do something so extensive. Good luck and post up some before and after pics so we can admire your work!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using motorcycle app

It's not usually storage that causes these issues. I had a customer who purchased a brand new Street Triple then trailered it down to the Palm Springs area for 6 months and came back. After that the bike was covered in rust and pits. My bet is that it was the trailer ride. If you trailer use an enclosed trailer or one that has a rock guard at the front of the trailer.

The rust and pits on the fork leg are the hard part. If it's especially pitted it will cause a leak. In this case a replacement leg would probably be in order. If you can feel the pit with your finger nail then it may be that deep. I would try buffing it out first with a fine metal polish.

Old 11-30-12, 05:57   #5
moanthebairns

the rust is actually on the suspension stantion tube. itís very small so I plan to just take it easy with a scotch pad and then maybe some polish. itís out of reach of the forks "normal" compression range so I might be ok. Failing that it will be a new stantion. Aslong as I get some acf-50 on it that will halt any further rust.

As I say he never bought an actual cover for it. I leave my ninja outside with a ventilated cover its 13 years old and has no signs of rust. This tool put a huge thick plastic cover over it and the water was all trapped in for months. It would have been like a green house.

It shouldnít be too difficult, corrosion is fairly common over here in Scotland as we salt our roads for 4 months out of 12 due to the cold. Iíve seen a few before and after shots of what can be achieved. Itís not really that bad to be honest it just gives me something to do when its -4 degrees at the weekend and I canít get out on the bike.

Old 12-03-12, 07:26   #6
moanthebairns

set about it at the weekend

fairings off, the other halfs toothbrush and some autosol and a before and after of my work. top is before bottom after.

I called it a day when it was -2 degrees and went and done some work on the ninja. took the fairings inside, washed, t-cut and waxed them. Other half wasnt too crazy about the tar i left on the floor after.

ill try a copper brush and see if i can get it looking any better then acf-50 it to stop rust. dont know how to do the brake discs however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	34253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 008.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	34254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 010.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	34255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 011.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	34256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 017.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	34257  

Old 12-09-12, 17:42   #7
moanthebairns

before and after. Used lots of wire wool at the weekend

covered the bike in acf-50 to stop further corrosion jobs a good one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0851.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	34345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0872.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	34346  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement