Anyone have crash experience with Bell Star?? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-28-12, 13:18   #1
tuscani451

Default Anyone have crash experience with Bell Star??

I have both a RF1100 and a Bell Star. I much prefer the bell for various reason, but when i had big crash a RF1100 saved my big dumb head so I'm scared to wear anything else. I wanted to see if anyone has put the Bell through a real life test and walked away ok?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-12, 13:22   #2
noclue90

If it would save your life, it wouldn't get the certifications (DOT, SNELL etc.)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Old 11-28-12, 13:50   #3
kmo

i crashed in a Bell RS-1. Slammed the back of my head and wore through down to the kevlar weave or whatever. Didnt even have a headache.... Needless to say i ordered another. Not to mention the thing fits like a glove and is the most comfortable helmet ive ever worn.

Old 11-28-12, 14:08   #4
phiglit

I know this isn't particularly relevant with the two helmets being discussed, but when I had a high side, I smacked my head pretty good in a HJC helmet. I did get a new floater in my left eye from it, but otherwise my noggin is still in one piece. It was a freebie from the dealership so it couldn't have been much worse than the Bell one you are talking about. It was also before the new crash standards were put in place, so there is that too.

I upgraded to a X-twelve since then mostly for the added protection, and because the shape fits my brain bucket better.

I think fit is more important than people usually take into consideration. I think that if the Bell fits good, it would do just fine. Given the choice between a helmet that fits "ok" and one that fits proper, I would go for the one that fits better, even if it was a less expensive model/manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Old 11-28-12, 14:14   #5
MGFChapin

Tooblekain's gf has had some pretty gnarly crashes in her Bells & her noggin still seems to work pretty well. I think he might've been wearing a Bell too when he crashes this year but his leg took most of the impact. PM him about it.

Old 11-28-12, 15:02   #6
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Tooblekain's gf has had some pretty gnarly crashes in her Bells & her noggin still seems to work pretty well. I think he might've been wearing a Bell too when he crashes this year but his leg took most of the impact. PM him about it.
LOL...she's built quite the collection of Stars. On a couple crashes she actually did lose consciousness. The really bad one where she was in the hospital for a week she was out for 4 minutes and clearly concussed when I was with her and suffered short term amnesia where she didn't remember events from the past couple days.

The other crash where she highsided and broke her wrist she was out for about 30 seconds and concussed for a little bit but by the time I saw her i the pits she was fully cognizant.

Her last crash was a pretty fast one at Turn 13 at Chuckwalla (aka The Bowl) and helmet looked pretty thrashed and she did not lose consciousness.

A couple days ago she and I actually tried helmets on and to my surprise she has been wearing the wrong size Star the whole time. She has been wearing S when she should actually be wearing XS!!! Maybe if she were wearing the right size it may have helped with the loss of consciousness crashes.

For my crash I was wearing a Shoei X-11. After this season I had plans to replace it because it was already 5 years old with a lot of track use...but the crash retired it nonetheless. My helmet showed a lot of damage on the surface. I fortunately (or unfortunately) did not lose consciousness (though I kinda wish I did because I was in serious pain) but being fully conscious I was able to tell ALS on the scene my injuries. I clearly remember the crash and the first initial force my left shoulder/upper back to the big brute of the force followed by my head, left leg, and then my right leg compound fracturing where the bone actually pierced through my kangaroo leather suit....it was a bloody mess. The pool of blood is still on the track and the track owner said I can actually autograph it.

My next helmet I plan on getting is either a size Small Bell Star or a Medium Bell RS-1

(but back on topic)....

One thing you have to consider to is the force of the crash. At certain forces even the most top of the line helmet will not stop you from losing consciousness.

The most expensive gear will always be cheaper than a hospital bill. So something to keep in mind. However if budget is an issue, then do not cheap out on things that protect your head, hands, and feet. If price is an issue, than meticulously study/research the product and its features and benefits

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Old 11-28-12, 15:06   #7
MGFChapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
One thing you have to consider to is the force of the crash. At certain forces even the most top of the line helmet will not stop you from losing consciousness.
Take for instance my $800 Arai I was wearing last May when I was knocked out. Got short-term amnesia too. Kinda hard to stay conscious when you run over your own head though

Old 11-28-12, 15:10   #8
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Take for instance my $800 Arai I was wearing last May when I was knocked out. Got short-term amnesia too. Kinda hard to stay conscious when you run over your own head though
Yep, perfect example. I'll have to see if I can find the study or link showing the graph at what certain force to the head it affects and how much a helmet can only dissipate. If I somehow find it I will post it up

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Old 11-28-12, 16:11   #9
Tucker2.0

Send a message via MSN to Tucker2.0

Agreed, i hit an 18 wheeler that pulled out infront of me wearing an Icon domain II and those are nice helmets but when you have no where to go but the fender of a big rig you're going to loose consciousness. I dont care if you're wearing an 800$ lid.

I was wheeled away with a concussion and two spinal fractures and thats saying alot considering i took out his headlight with my face, flipped over the hood of that thing and slid/rolled another 30 feet

Old 11-28-12, 19:37   #10
tuscani451

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
LOL...she's built quite the collection of Stars. On a couple crashes she actually did lose consciousness. The really bad one where she was in the hospital for a week she was out for 4 minutes and clearly concussed when I was with her and suffered short term amnesia where she didn't remember events from the past couple days.

The other crash where she highsided and broke her wrist she was out for about 30 seconds and concussed for a little bit but by the time I saw her i the pits she was fully cognizant.

Her last crash was a pretty fast one at Turn 13 at Chuckwalla (aka The Bowl) and helmet looked pretty thrashed and she did not lose consciousness.

A couple days ago she and I actually tried helmets on and to my surprise she has been wearing the wrong size Star the whole time. She has been wearing S when she should actually be wearing XS!!! Maybe if she were wearing the right size it may have helped with the loss of consciousness crashes.

For my crash I was wearing a Shoei X-11. After this season I had plans to replace it because it was already 5 years old with a lot of track use...but the crash retired it nonetheless. My helmet showed a lot of damage on the surface. I fortunately (or unfortunately) did not lose consciousness (though I kinda wish I did because I was in serious pain) but being fully conscious I was able to tell ALS on the scene my injuries. I clearly remember the crash and the first initial force my left shoulder/upper back to the big brute of the force followed by my head, left leg, and then my right leg compound fracturing where the bone actually pierced through my kangaroo leather suit....it was a bloody mess. The pool of blood is still on the track and the track owner said I can actually autograph it.

My next helmet I plan on getting is either a size Small Bell Star or a Medium Bell RS-1

(but back on topic)....

The most expensive gear will always be cheaper than a hospital bill. So something to keep in mind. However if budget is an issue, then do not cheap out on things that protect your head, hands, and feet. If price is an issue, than meticulously study/research the product and its features and benefits
Wow dude that's all pretty gnarly. When I crashed I took the majority of the impact to my head and right shoulder. I still dont remember the crash or aftermath. I woke up in the pits and was like WTF happened?? lol. I also found out later I was wearing a medium RF1100 and should have been in a small :-/ I never got evaluated for long term damage and I wish I had b/c I find myself forgetting....um....those things.....spelled with letters.....fcuk....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement