Track day insurance. - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-28-12, 16:19   #1
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

Default Track day insurance.

Hey gang,

As some of you know, I totaled my 675R this last weekend on the track. It's repairable, but "totaled" in the sense that any insurance company would just total and pay out.

I called Progressive, and lo and behold, they will not cover one cent of the damage. Because it is a track only bike, I couldn't just drive it to a parking lot and call them. They would really want to know where all of the DOT bits went I'm sure...

Mad as hell at paying a premium for a bike that was in not actually insured, I started to call around to all the major insurance companies wanting to move every insurable thing I owned. No one would cover a bike on the track though. That was until I found Einhorn Insurance (no, I do not work for them).

I called and told her exactly what I do with the bike. I told her that it does not ever ride on the street, and that I travel at speeds in excesses of 140 MPH. Donna didn't care in the least and gave me a reasonable quote. I have a fully insured motorcycle, not only that, I got to pick the full value of the bike. They are more than willing to cover every thing I have done to my motorcycle AWESOME!

The insurance I have also covers me if I were to ride on the street too. Not that I will, but if you are looking to have insured track days, live in California, and may also want to ride on the street, give Donna a call.

Donna Power
Ph: 619.908.1112 Ext. 2
Fx: 866.887.4644
www.einhorninsurance.com
License # 0F74625

She said they also work with a company in Texas too. So if you live there and are interested, call and she will point you in the right direction.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-12, 16:24   #2
Knolly
BOTM Winner

I have Progressive and was assured that they would cover track days as long as they were non-timed. Not surprised that's not the case though.

As I was reading through I thought I had found a new insurance company but then saw it's CA only, damn. Guess I'll have to do some searching for IL.

Old 11-28-12, 17:09   #3
pyroking339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
I have Progressive and was assured that they would cover track days as long as they were non-timed. Not surprised that's not the case though.

As I was reading through I thought I had found a new insurance company but then saw it's CA only, damn. Guess I'll have to do some searching for IL.
The place I work during the holidays has flyers for trackday and race insurance for cars. I feel like they might be willing to think about bikes. From the flyer, it looked pretty awesome. I'll share it the next time I can.

Old 11-28-12, 17:41   #4
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post

That is the exact thing I thought about Progressive. I was so freaking mad to find out I have been paying them all this time for motorcycles that weren't covered. Thank god I didn't need medical, or took out another rider Saturday.

Old 11-28-12, 18:10   #5
sittingturbo

They would have to be stupid to cover me at the track...

Old 11-28-12, 18:16   #6
dubguy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
Hey gang,

As some of you know, I totaled my 675R this last weekend on the track. It's repairable, but "totaled" in the sense that any insurance company would just total and pay out.

I called Progressive, and lo and behold, they will not cover one cent of the damage. Because it is a track only bike, I couldn't just drive it to a parking lot and call them. They would really want to know where all of the DOT bits went I'm sure...

Mad as hell at paying a premium for a bike that was in not actually insured, I started to call around to all the major insurance companies wanting to move every insurable thing I owned. No one would cover a bike on the track though. That was until I found Einhorn Insurance (no, I do not work for them).

I called and told her exactly what I do with the bike. I told her that it does not ever ride on the street, and that I travel at speeds in excesses of 140 MPH. Donna didn't care in the least and gave me a reasonable quote. I have a fully insured motorcycle, not only that, I got to pick the full value of the bike. They are more than willing to cover every thing I have done to my motorcycle AWESOME!

The insurance I have also covers me if I were to ride on the street too. Not that I will, but if you are looking to have insured track days, live in California, and may also want to ride on the street, give Donna a call.

Donna Power
www.einhorninsurance.com
License # 0F74625

She said they also work with a company in Texas too. So if you live there and are interested, call and she will point you in the right direction.

Riders insurance covers trackdays

Old 11-28-12, 19:32   #7
tuscani451

Quote:
Originally Posted by shouldnthave View Post
Hey gang,

Donna Power
www.einhorninsurance.com
License # 0F74625

Check your policy, my buddy liquified his CBR1000 at a track day and since it was NOT a timed event (ie race) it was considered rider training and was covered.

Old 11-28-12, 19:38   #8
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscani451 View Post
Check your policy, my buddy liquified his CBR1000 at a track day and since it was NOT a timed event (ie race) it was considered rider training and was covered.
I went back and forth for two days with them. They were not going to budge on it so I figure I would have to sue to get paid on this. The damage is not so bad that this would be worth pursuing it anymore. If it was worse, and I had other damages that needed to be covered, I would go all the way with this.

As it stands now I'm just going to handle this on my own, and not ever give them a penny of my money again.

Old 11-28-12, 19:49   #9
Slowpoke675

Won't get into details or hijack this thread, but I had Progressive Insurance for my first bike. Long story short, **** PROGRESSIVE!

Old 11-28-12, 21:01   #10
vg13z
BOTM Pimp Daddy!

Send a message via AIM to vg13z

I'm more interested in the circumstances of how you totalled your bike.

As an owner of a brand new 12R who will be doing trackdays on it, I will FREAK if I ever drop the bike or crash.

So I guess that means not very aggressive trackdays for me. At least I am installing a slipper clutch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement