Daytona Handling Issues - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-27-12, 18:50   #31
[Terry]

Send a message via MSN to [Terry]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Do you know what your sag was on Karl's bike? I'm sure you're aware that the stock spring is meant for someone well over 100 kilos. I'm only 68 kg and it felt like barebacking a Golem. I'd say getting the right spring for yourself is the first step.
THANK YOU!! Finally someone has confirmed this for me That's exactly what I felt like on the stock spring. I'll check my sag on Karls bike next time I see him and update. It's either too hard or too soft atm.

I'm normally between 67 and 69 kg so I'd be same weight as you. Although I suppose you're running a completely different shock too.

Any recommendation on a spring?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-12, 19:13   #32
[Terry]

OK so I've just been on Race Tech's website looking at springs. The recommended spring rate for me is 9.6kg/mm.

The Ohlins spring I have is 9.5kg/mm so why is it that I cannot get the correct sag using the stock shock and Ohlins spring? The Racetech spring recommended is 8mm taller in height than the Ohlins but that's nothing?

I'm so confused now!!!!

Old 11-27-12, 19:17   #33
MGFChapin

Sure you're measuring sag correctly? How are you doing it?

I ordered an Elka custom made for my weight, and I don't remember the spring rate. 9.5 sounds about right though.

Old 11-27-12, 19:31   #34
[Terry]

Quote:
Sure you're measuring sag correctly? How are you doing it?

I ordered an Elka custom made for my weight, and I don't remember the spring rate. 9.5 sounds about right though.
I hope I'm not doing it correctly! That would solve a lot of problems haha!

I marked a point on the rear fairing directly above the rear wheel. I then got a helper to lift the rear with me and another to measure from the axle to the point. This is L1

I then kitted up, jumped on the bike, got one helper to hold the front and the other to lift and slowly lower the rear so it settled and then measured again. This is L2

I then did the same as above but got the helper to push down on the rear and let go slowly and then measure. This is L3.

L3 and L2 were averaged to account for any stiction and this we'll call L4.

L1 - L4 is the sag....

Is that correct??

Old 11-27-12, 19:58   #35
MGFChapin

Yeah your method & math are perfect, unfortunately, haha! I'll dig around for the article & let you know.

Old 11-27-12, 19:59   #36
[Terry]

Quote:
Yeah your method & math are perfect, unfortunately, haha! I'll dig around for the article & let you know.
Haha thanks! Much appreciated!

Old 11-27-12, 21:17   #37
MGFChapin

OK, I can't find the geometry article, but I have 3 or 4 others that, combined, I think will help you out. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them as attachments.

Old 11-27-12, 21:30   #38
[Terry]

Quote:
OK, I can't find the geometry article, but I have 3 or 4 others that, combined, I think will help you out. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send them as attachments.
Awesome! Thanks a million! Done!

Anyone know why I wouldn't be able to get the correct sag with the correct spring? Is there something such as rebound or compression that would affect it? I've added a spacer above the shock to the mount to increase ride height, would this affect it?

Old 11-27-12, 22:20   #39
Smoke

Perhaps the dogbone and suspension plates are mounted backwards.

Someone mentioned tyre pressure, I didn't see your answer to that, same for your buddy's fork height, same for the tyres, they can have drastic effects.

You will never have exactly the same feeling on two bikes, but stock should be your objective.

Lowering the bike makes it use more lean angle for the same corner, all other things being equal, lowering the front isn't something to be done lightly. You're describing a lack of confidence which could be down to twitchiness and lack of stability.

Chapin, as the rear shock sags under bike and rider weight, it isn't fully extended anymore, therefore preload affects its length, and ride height ;)

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Old 11-27-12, 22:43   #40
[Terry]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Perhaps the dogbone and suspension plates are mounted backwards.
Good point, I'll check. The triangles are on the right way round but I never checked the dig bone.

Quote:
Someone mentioned tyre pressure, I didn't see your answer to that, same for your buddy's fork height, same for the tyres, they can have drastic effects.
Tyre pressures were checked and confirmed before our ride. We both have the exact same tyres too. Fork height started out as the same (both 6mm pulled through) and mine are now at 7.8mm.

Quote:
You will never have exactly the same feeling on two bikes, but stock should be your objective.
Yea, I don't expect for them to be identical but the difference is astronomical. It's hard to explain how bad my bike is. Even 80% as good as his handles would be awesome!!

Quote:
Lowering the bike makes it use more lean angle for the same corner, all other things being equal, lowering the front isn't something to be done lightly. You're describing a lack of confidence which could be down to twitchiness and lack of stability.
I'll maybe put the forks back to 6mm through but it's more the rear that I don't have confidence in. Front seems much better than the rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement