different front and rear tire - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Tire Tech

Tire Tech For all discussions related to your Tires and what you are running.

Old 11-26-12, 14:54   #1
kazanakius

Default different front and rear tire

Hello guys,

I am in the need of a rear tire change, but I can not find any dragon supercorsa in the market.
The front tire is still as good as new so I would like to keep it and save some money.

I found a rear Michelin Power One at an extremely good price. Do you believe that it would be a problem to have a different front and rear tire? Should they always go as sets?

I d appreciate your help ;-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-12, 14:59   #2
Sp00ky

It's always better and safer to run tires of the same brand and type together.

S.

Old 11-26-12, 15:18   #3
raven21

I ran a dunlop rear once at a race weekend on my SV when i shagged my Pirelli and no one had another there. Ended up having a terrible front end bouncing at speed. I wont mix tires again.

Old 11-26-12, 15:23   #4
kazanakius

oh damn! Wouldn't like that! :/

Old 11-26-12, 15:27   #5
sittingturbo

Likely the roll profile will be off, if your only doing freeway riding you will not see a problem... But if you ride twisties or track, go buy a set of Dunlop Q2's offline. 240 for a set, and they are excellent street/track day tires.

Old 11-26-12, 18:26   #6
DarrenKav

If you're not riding at 7/10th's and just doing some basic street riding then go for it.

Old 11-27-12, 11:22   #7
MemphisR32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenKav View Post
If you're not riding at 7/10th's and just doing some basic street riding then go for it.
If you doing basic street riding get a Pilot Power, I have Power Pures and ran them on the street a few times and hate them. Too soft and if its at all cold they slip like crazy and wear quickly. I couldnt imagine how much worse a Power One would be.

Old 11-27-12, 12:28   #8
NakedSaturday

I've never had problems mixing and matching tires, and prefer the different handling characteristics of different tires and find it isn't much different from running different tire compounds other then different profiles.

Old 11-27-12, 14:43   #9
DarrenKav

Something interesting I heard last week from a new mechanic at my local ducati shop. We were talking about spec tire rules, tire costs and all that in different racing series around the globe. He raced in the Italian supersport series and at one point his team was using two different brands of front and rear tires.

They would try different brands and compounds to find the best handling for a particular rider's preferences. So he may have had a dunlop front and a bridgestone rear depending on the track and conditions, other times dunlop front and rear, etc..

I was surprised to hear that, but I guess it makes sense if you're looking for a particular handling or performance feel that a given brand doesn't offer you. I don't recall why he stopped doing that, it was either due to a spec tire rule or specific brand sponsorship..unsure.

Just some food for thought.

Old 11-27-12, 16:50   #10
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenKav View Post
Something interesting I heard last week from a new mechanic at my local ducati shop. We were talking about spec tire rules, tire costs and all that in different racing series around the globe. He raced in the Italian supersport series and at one point his team was using two different brands of front and rear tires.

They would try different brands and compounds to find the best handling for a particular rider's preferences. So he may have had a dunlop front and a bridgestone rear depending on the track and conditions, other times dunlop front and rear, etc..

I was surprised to hear that, but I guess it makes sense if you're looking for a particular handling or performance feel that a given brand doesn't offer you. I don't recall why he stopped doing that, it was either due to a spec tire rule or specific brand sponsorship..unsure.

Just some food for thought.
Plus 1...I did that using a Dunlop 209 GPA medium front and a Michelin Power Race hard rear. Worked well...not impressive, but I was in a bind financially and did fine with that set up.

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement