30-second bar end removal - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 11-11-11, 23:10   #31
FastOF

Send a message via AIM to FastOF

Okay, sorry if I don't have very specific help.

It would seem that if you don't have the step on the inner surface of a replacement bar-end weight that you'd have problems getting it to mount properly. You could mill off the outer surface of the insert. Or, you could remove the insert, and use any 16mm diameter universal bar-end. Search on the board and you'll find information from those of us who've mounted the Throttlemeister bar-ends/throttle lock. Those are mounted after removal of the OE insert.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-11, 22:54   #32
Ricardo_

yep, now I think I need to throw away those internal inserts and buy any aftermarket bar end with a expansion collar.

inclined to order a china-made from ebay; cheaper replacement for another possible lowside =[

like this:

the description says "13 to 18mm".
Direct fitment maybe?

Old 11-18-11, 13:38   #33
FastOF

If the threads in your inserts aren't completely buggered, I'd consider these, or something similar. If only one of your inserts is buggered, post up in the for sale section; I'm sure somebody has a set that they aren't using, and you could probably get 'em cheep.

Old 04-08-12, 02:40   #34
makasu

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life.

So if i take out the weights i could use the Rizoma hardware to make the Rizoma Grips and Bar Ends flush without too much movement?

How does the bike even ride without the bar weights?

Thanks

Old 04-19-12, 09:59   #35
FastOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by makasu View Post
Sorry to bring an old thread back to life.

So if i take out the weights i could use the Rizoma hardware to make the Rizoma Grips and Bar Ends flush without too much movement?

How does the bike even ride without the bar weights?
AFAIK, the answer to the first question is yes. I don't know the Rizoma bits specifically, but there'd be nothing in the way. As far as to how it would ride without the OE inserts/weights, I suspect a little buzzier, but not much. There's not much mass to the OE parts, and the Rizoma grips and inserts probably make up that difference.

Pics when you mount em.

Old 08-11-12, 22:03   #36
greg328

Just to clarify--there's not way to remove the small 3mm allen screw from the end of the OE bar end while in situ, correct? I have a 2012 675R and I'm trying to install CRG folding mirrors and I have the British Custom CRG adaptors.

Try as I might, I can't remove the hex screws. On the left clip-on, I can grip the bar end, and spin the screw but it doesn't back out. On the throttle side, it won't budge, even with a kung fu grip on the bar end.

So, I need to remove the throttle bracket and slide the throttle tube inboard, correct? This gives me access to the push-release tabs, apparently?

Greg

Old 08-12-12, 00:04   #37
Far Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg328 View Post
Just to clarify--there's not way to remove the small 3mm allen screw from the end of the OE bar end while in situ, correct? I have a 2012 675R and I'm trying to install CRG folding mirrors and I have the British Custom CRG adaptors.

Try as I might, I can't remove the hex screws. On the left clip-on, I can grip the bar end, and spin the screw but it doesn't back out. On the throttle side, it won't budge, even with a kung fu grip on the bar end.

So, I need to remove the throttle bracket and slide the throttle tube inboard, correct? This gives me access to the push-release tabs, apparently?

Greg
The screws on my bar ends snapped before they would come out. Triumph must have put some serious loctite on there. Just do as this thread describes.

Old 08-24-12, 04:18   #38
!!675R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecepticonDon View Post
Don't even try to use the allen screw.
Edit: take apart the throttle housing and it will allow enough freeplay with the throttle tube to reach the retainer tab holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llenta View Post
Exactly

DON'T TRY TO UNSCREW THE SCREW AT THE END OF THE BAR END, MOST PEOPLE END UP STRIPPING IT

Unscrew the 2 screws on the throttle housing and slide that up toward the middle of the bike about and inch or so. That makes room for the grip to slide up an in or so as well. This exposes the holes in the clip-on where you pinch the tabs on the bar end weight. Then the whole assembly slides right out and you don't strip any screws. Then if you want to put on a new throttle tube, slide the old one off, slide the new one on. Or just put thing back together the same way you took them apart. Its a whole 2 minute job from start to finish.

win all day long! Took me about 5 min to get the little tabs pushed in at same time lol but came right out afterwards!

Old 08-24-12, 13:25   #39
Freakazoid

in depth and thorough, well done!

Old 11-27-12, 02:48   #40
SFstreettriple

Ok I have to share the secret to my success of getting those bar weights off. I'm in the middle of a helibar install and I couldn't get those suckers off for the life of me. The secret.... heat the shit out of them. I held them over the stove with pliers for a good 3 minutes and then cranked out the alen bolt.

good luck fellas...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement