question on blocking the SAI - Page 6 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 09-27-12, 21:58   #51
Jstu202
John the Jersey Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power-Tripp View Post
Instead of blocking the SAI, use it to your advantage.

At high rpm, the crankcase builds up pressure - even more if you use an oil that foams at higher rpm. This pressure makes more work for the crankshaft to pull down on the pistons, and robs output from the engine.

If you use a short length of hose to connect the crankcase vent to the reed valves in the SAI system, this lets the crankcase pressure bleed off to the exhaust. I've seen as much as 1-1.5 hp gains on the dyno at high rpm from this simple/cheap modification. Yet on some bikes, it shows nothing worth mentioning, but I would much rather vent hot oily air from the crankcase to the exhaust, than to the airbox - especially on a track bike.

Something to consider, and I hope it helps,

-WT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsgraphics View Post
"T" the two ports on the cover and then route it to the case brether, it scavagnes the vacume from the case, most teams do it, and when we dyno'ed many different bikes they ALL make a bit more on top when this is done. I'm getting my engine back this month, i'll post pics when i get it back...

Not alot of hp, but nearly 1.5-2rwhp everytime.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbsgraphics View Post
not just unplugin the air box, there is the control valve you can ditch, and then you have to plug the open holes on the air box.. make sure you DONT kink the line anywhere, if you do it will build crank pressure and force some leaks, but the theory is that you provide a closed loop system for the crank system, and as pistons go up and down the volume different has a place to go and keep everything in balance...
how ever the theory, it has showed up as positive numbers on dyno's..
Does this method disqualify a race bike from supersport in some organizations? And +1 to Racermasen, does anyone have pictures of this done?

CCS Expert # 900 STT - Advanced TPM - Advanced NESBA - Advanced TTD - Advanced
Spammer Kill Count - 215 "Piranha Gun! Oh Yeaaa!!"
Ridersdiscount
- BridgewaterAcura - VIP Honda
"Death smiles at us all, All a man can do is smile back."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-12, 13:16   #52
Bocky

I'm hoping someone can help me, as I've read a few pages about keeping or removing SAI I have a seen a few people saying it stops after market exhausts popping and someone said popping is a bad thing. I have a akra slip on with no other mods yet and it loves to burble is this a bad thing or are they talking about something different, a difference between a Burble and a pop? I never thought for one second it would matter as I've had let's of cars that exhausts burble and my dads 1198sp does it like crazy.

Sorry if this sounds dumb.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 10-03-12, 13:29   #53
MacBandit

The burbling could be from the SAI but it may not. Popping and burbling can be from the SAI and also from poor tuning. It doesn't hurt anything it's just a symptom of excess fuel on deceleration.

Old 10-03-12, 13:29   #54
MacaveliMC

Didn't read every single post on this so I may be repeated something, but I recently talked to a mechanic who used to work at my Triumph dealership. I mentioned about removing a few things from the bike (air flap, EXUP, ect) and he said "you didn't remove the SAI did you?" and I said uhhh no? but I was thinking about it?

And he basically explained to me why it's absolutely retarded to just remove that from the bike without modifying any of the fueling. Apparently the Oxygen sensor is looking for a certain reading based on the SAI system being in use, and if you remove it the oxygen sensor sees a different reading obviously, and the engine won't run correctly, it'll run more lean or something. So if you are running normal maps and an O2 sensor, he says it's a bad idea to remove the SAI.

Sooo, take that how you will, it was his advice to me, and now I'm sharing it with you.

"I actually just have my throttle cable pulled so its
wide open even when i start the bike. balls to the
wall is how i live, screw stoplights and slow people."
- TwoWheeledWonder

Old 10-03-12, 13:31   #55
MacBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstu202 View Post
Does this method disqualify a race bike from supersport in some organizations? And +1 to Racermasen, does anyone have pictures of this done?
I've never heard of it disqualifying anyone. It's not a vacuum pump. Although where my friends race here in the PNW I've never heard of anyone being asked for an engine inspection for any reason.

Old 10-03-12, 13:32   #56
Jstu202
John the Jersey Admin

Well then turn off the oxygen sensor.

(please see Macbandit's post below before doing this, thank you)

Ridersdiscount

Last edited by Jstu202; 10-03-12 at 13:44.

Old 10-03-12, 13:34   #57
MacBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacaveliMC View Post
Didn't read every single post on this so I may be repeated something, but I recently talked to a mechanic who used to work at my Triumph dealership. I mentioned about removing a few things from the bike (air flap, EXUP, ect) and he said "you didn't remove the SAI did you?" and I said uhhh no? but I was thinking about it?

And he basically explained to me why it's absolutely retarded to just remove that from the bike without modifying any of the fueling. Apparently the Oxygen sensor is looking for a certain reading based on the SAI system being in use, and if you remove it the oxygen sensor sees a different reading obviously, and the engine won't run correctly, it'll run more lean or something. So if you are running normal maps and an O2 sensor, he says it's a bad idea to remove the SAI.

Sooo, take that how you will, it was his advice to me, and now I'm sharing it with you.
Yes it does affect adaptations (what the O2 sensor is used for) a little bit. The bike will run slightly rich but not that much. It will not hurt anything. It only affects the off idle adaptation as well. It does not affect the idle adaptation. This is because the SAI is only open at steady throttle cruising speed (very low engine load) and on deceleration. If there is more engine load or you are accelerating at all the bike reverts to the base map and doesn't rely on the O2 sensor at all.

Old 10-03-12, 13:36   #58
Jstu202
John the Jersey Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I've never heard of it disqualifying anyone. It's not a vacuum pump. Although where my friends race here in the PNW I've never heard of anyone being asked for an engine inspection for any reason.
I see. Well for CCS they've made the top three finishes in expert remove the fuel tank/airbox assembly for inspection. I've seen it done with some of the amateurs too.

Thankfully I suck too much to really worry about that inspection, but if on the off chance everyone has a mechanical failure in the same race and I get a podium I'd rather not be DQ'd.

They have yet to inspect my airbox in the past two seasons I've raced and gotten podiums however.

Ridersdiscount

Old 10-03-12, 13:43   #59
MacBandit

There are pictures in this thread.

[ame="http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52872"]Crankcase vent to SAI - Triumph675.Net Forums[/ame]

I know you were joking about the O2 sensor but just clear this up for those that may not know. If you are racing go ahead and remove the O2 sensor as it will never be used. If you are a road rider keep the O2 sensor. It's used to fine tune the off idle ecu adaptations. This improves throttle response and throttle smoothness along with better fuel economy and smoother running. The O2 sensor is one of the main reasons that modern fuel injection so much better then the old systems in the 80s and even early 90s.

Old 11-26-12, 18:40   #60
DaarkSide

There is one question I have that has not been answered here yet.......

What are the purpose of the solid dowels in the Triumph kit? I am not sure I understand the use of adding a "plug" to something that is being blocked off to begin with.

NVM found my answer, had to use google to find it though. LOL

I am the bamboo, no matter how the wind blows.....I will not break

Last edited by DaarkSide; 11-26-12 at 18:52.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement