Dunlop Q2s . Anyone running them ? - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > The Street Triple 675!

Old 11-21-12, 14:57   #21
IE9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinski View Post
I have run the Q2 and they are a great tyre but only 3000kays from rear, I then went to get another as it was such a great tyre but the bloke in the shop recommended the Dunlop Sportsmart / Sportmax instead, said it is stickyer & will last longer + has N-tec to help keep shape at lower pressures , I rode them on the street & Trackday & although I found the Q2 to be an awesome tyre the sportsmarts were even better
That's crazy that you guys get such low mileage on your Q2's. It definitely must be riding style and tire pressure. I have Sportsmarts on my Guzzi and put 12k on them for my cross-country trip. The rear still look like it could go another 10k. I might try them on my Street Triple next time around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-12, 16:36   #22
Kiz

I went to order some Q2s for my triple. Turns out there's 2 varieties - standard and GPA. The GPA is the really good one with the grip you want. The standard is rubbish by comparison. Then you have to choose the compounds you want - soft, soft-medium or medium. Does anybody know which specific type they are using?

Old 11-21-12, 17:03   #23
sirhosis of deliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinski View Post
I have run the Q2 and they are a great tyre but only 3000kays from rear, I then went to get another as it was such a great tyre but the bloke in the shop recommended the Dunlop Sportsmart / Sportmax instead, said it is stickyer & will last longer + has N-tec to help keep shape at lower pressures , I rode them on the street & Trackday & although I found the Q2 to be an awesome tyre the sportsmarts were even better
+1 for the sportsmarts.

I have a set on my Daytona and love them.
I was anti Dunlop after sampling the OEM DUnnie on my 09 R1, a truly horrible, scary tyre. I was talked into a set of GPR Alpha 11s a year later as they were real cheap and these changed my mind back to the positive for Dunlop. They were awesome sticky goodness! Didn't last too well though. LOL

Sportsmarts seem to have the best features of the Alpha 11s but are better in the wet and seem to be going to last me a lot longer too.

Old 11-26-12, 19:14   #24
riderx

I love Q2's on the Triple. They have great grip and hook up nicely through the twisties and on the track. I run pressure pretty low for performance riding (30/30). Tend to only get about 2000 miles before I feel like its time for new tires. To me, it's worth it to ride how I want with confidence

Old 11-26-12, 19:35   #25
Gerard7AA

OP... You didnt mention your riding style. If you are low to intermediate track rider... Any tire will do.. If you are advanced track rider the pirellis will allow you to exploit your skill to the max.

If you are going to be doing more distance (slab, touring) riding then you should think of even a harder compound tire... Again it all depends on your riding style.. I have used the Q2s since they first came out and they are great, they just seem to require a bit more heat buildup.

Old 11-27-12, 18:18   #26
Strider

Ok Gents. I got 6k out of my rear on my stock Qualifiers. I bought the bike second hand so the jury is still out on actual total distance on the rear really (between 3k and 6k, big variance I know ). For the 3k that I rode it I did one day at a short track TONS of commuting and some back roads scratching. I did 2 sessions on another track day and corded the center.

For commuting and back roads they were fine, but I didn't think they were all that great for track days. Keep in mind I haven't gotten to a big boy track with it yet.

Are Q2's massively better then Qualifiers? At this point I'm thinking about Michelins or Bridgestones cause the Qualifiers were so "Just ok".
'06 KTM 450SMR (track bike)
FS Penske Double Clicker with ride height and preload adjustment. About 2000 miles of use. Sprung for 180lbs without gear. $550.00 http://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...90#post4067890
FS Black Skidmarx rear hugger $50.00

Old 11-29-12, 13:37   #27
ZrexRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 13 View Post
How would you all say the Q2s are compared to the OEM Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas?

Look for the December 12' issue of Sport Rider Magazine. They did a sport tire shootout with the following tires:

Avon 3D Ultra Sport
Bridgestone S20
Continental ContiSport Attack 2
Dunlop Q2
Metzler Sportec M5 Interact
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
Shinko 010 Apex

They rated the Q2's #1 and the Rosso II's #5

*I realize now after looking on Pirelli's website the Rosso II's and the Roso Corsa(what comes oem on the Sreet Triple) are two different tires.*

Last edited by ZrexRich; 11-29-12 at 13:55. Reason: added information

Sponsored Links
Advertisement