Winterize vs Idling - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 10-30-12, 23:19   #11
Bhodi513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone675 View Post
imo no. the hot/cold cycles will just cause internal moisture/condensation.
I have asked this question regarding my other bikes in the past and this is the response I usually get. It made enough sense to me that I buy it. Basically if you aren't going to run it for an extended time, you shouldn't start it up on a regular basis. Now I throw fuel stab in my bikes as soon as snow hits the ground. If it gets warm, I can still ride but if the slush and salt stays, my bike is ready for storage. I also switched all of my bikes over to LiFePO4 batteries. No more tending!

AB
1971 T120

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-12, 03:36   #12
way2faded

I winterized my 675 every year. My other bikes tho not only would I ride thru winter but I would fire them up every week and try to ride down the street n back. I follow this for both of my 1986 VFRs, and not once have I had to clean the carbs.out come spring

Keep in mind my garage doesnt see below 40f, as I run a gas heater

Old 10-31-12, 11:57   #13
675R_Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker2.0 View Post
hey Guys

I was having a discussion about winterizing a bike with an older rider today. And he stated something interesting. Since he rides as much as possible even in the winter, He says he just walks out to the garage every 3-5 days and cranks it up. Lets it idle for a while and thats it.

Is this a viable alternative to completely winterizing your ride? Ive never heard of doing that before.
idle for a while is considered extreme riding conditions for engines. I would not recommend this. If you choose not to winterize your bike, I suggest actually riding it!

MODS: Arrow Slip-On, GB Racing Protection Bundle, Orbital Tank Pad, Tech Spec Tank Grips, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen

GEAR: ICON Airframe Helmet, ICON ARC Leather/Textile Jacket, ICON Super Duty 3 Boots, Dianese Reflective Vest, Cortech Latigo RR Gaunlet Gloves, Triumph Adventure Overpants, Ogio No Drag Mach 5, Cortech Tank Bag, Triumph Sport Saddle Bags

Old 11-21-12, 11:06   #14
chemlight_ninja

You should just bring her inside. Doesn't she deserve to be in the nice warm house? When it gets below 40 degrees and mine is sitting in the garage she looks at me all pathetic and I can't help but bring her inside.

Old 11-25-12, 10:23   #15
Tucker2.0

Send a message via MSN to Tucker2.0

Thanks for the info guys, im not about to winterize anything triumph while its still getting in the 50's here.

Ill winterize my wifes bike because she's too chicken to ride cold.

Old 11-26-12, 14:06   #16
Papachristou

am i the only guy who has seen the "search" button?

Some people say it is bad to idle, some say it is good. Do what you want. It isnt cold enough to ever put the bike up in NC anyway. I keep startron in it and a battery tender on it. If you are really OCD, get the wheels off the ground.
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Old 11-26-12, 18:24   #17
DarrenKav

Around here it gets below zero pretty regularly throughout the winter. Given that, I winterize and leave it alone. It stays on the tender whenever I'm not on it so that part is easy. I have been advised that unless you go out and get it up to running temp and ride it, you're not really going to burn up the moisture that builds inside, so best not to create more of it with occasional winter idling.

Old 11-26-12, 18:32   #18
///Matt

true winterizing is more intended to preserve the vehicle during harsh cold weather, not just to make it stable to store. That's storage. Winterizing would involve a change or drain of the coolant so it doesn't freeze and break hoses or hard parts, in addition to some other freaky cold weather stuff. There is no need to truly winterize in NC, or most states.
- Racetech fork valves and springs - Competition Werkes integrated smoked taillight and FE - Zero Gravity Corsa windscreen - CRG RC2 levers - Sato frame sliders - GB Racing case covers - StompGrip tank grips - Proton flushmount signals -

Old 11-26-12, 19:16   #19
dabird

Send a message via Yahoo to dabird

I live in Ms. I use gas stablizer, keep the battery charged and take a short ride every week or two.

Old 11-27-12, 08:24   #20
Tucker2.0

Send a message via MSN to Tucker2.0

thats what im doing, theres no need for storing a bike in NC unless its an unusually bad winter, which it doesnt look to be.

I pull it into the shed, make sure everything checks out, clean/lube the chain, check fluids, and try to ride it once a week

Sponsored Links
Advertisement