Need advice for lowering Daytona 675 ( Soupy lower link). :) - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > All Things Suspension

Old 11-21-12, 06:25   #11
!!675R!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainbikeracer View Post
I have the same problem with the height issue!

My questions are if I lower the rear by 2 inches, then what's the amount that I should lower the front? If I lower the rear by 1 inch, then will 3/4 of inche be ok? BTW, I'm 5'4" at 150 Lbs. My biggest concern is loosing the handling characeristics. Thanks!
I have the same question as well. Basically what is a good amount to drop the front to counter the drop in the rear say for every inch?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-12, 07:27   #12
Disrupt

You could also try shaving the foam off the seat to lower it, you could try the low gel seat, but trimming the foam may get you closer to what you need.

Old 11-21-12, 10:52   #13
Dave73

I love how people say lowering the bike will ruin the handling... what's the alternative for a short guy? Buy a cruiser?... Because yeah, cruisers have great handling...

Old 01-02-13, 20:10   #14
Mountainbikeracer

Shaving the seat seems like a good idea, until I realized that the seat is all ready very stiff. Thanks for your in suggestion.

Old 01-03-13, 01:55   #15
RedRep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!675R!! View Post
So, i was thinking. The general consensus seems to be that lowering the bike will alter the handling dramatically or at least noticably. Then i was thinking about dominguezs bike, how much he has the forks dropped and the bike lowered. Not sure how much, but with himn being only lik 5'3 im sure its a bit. The bike seems to work just fine for him? IDk, i think there is alot of room for debate on this one. I am just going off what I have heard, not personal experience though.
Fork being 'dropped' in the triples doesn't mean that the bike is lowered - his bikes don't have stock forks or triples so who is to say they are the same length as stock. Being a track bike makes it even less needed to have the bike low for him since he's not stopping often and when he does it's for a race start (start like MotoGP shorties do with one leg down and a thigh across the seat) or coming into the paddock where he has help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave73 View Post
I love how people say lowering the bike will ruin the handling... what's the alternative for a short guy? Buy a cruiser?... Because yeah, cruisers have great handling...
Getting used to riding it like normal people ride dirtbikes.

Old 01-03-13, 14:20   #16
Lufty675

i'm a shortie at 5'6 about 135 lbs. i also thought of lowering my bike. Didn't really wanna put the money out for the link though, so i just delt with it. i can get the balls of my feet on the ground at the same time which really isn't akward anymore. Once i put my track suit on and hit the twisties i never thought of lowering it again. The handling is awesome. But i was told anymore than 1 inch isn't good. I was also told if you lower the rear 1 inch then you want to lower the front 1 1/4 inches to compensate. Hope this helps. Ride Safe

Old 01-03-13, 18:34   #17
shannenh

Im selling one from a Dayton 675r for 20$

shannenh@Hawaii.edu

Old 01-03-13, 18:59   #18
Trip

My opinion. Take it for what it's worth:

You don't need to get both feet on the ground. The ball of one foot at should be enough in almost any circumstance. Practice sliding to each side of the bike to get a foot down. Someone mentioned race starts above. Watch someone like Dani Pedrosa, who is about 5' 2". Granted, street riding is trickier for someone of your stature, but it can be done.

I'd be willing to bet that almost all of the experienced riders here almost never have two feet down.

Also try shaving the seat before you lower the bike. A small reduction in height can make a big difference. Even if you think you still need the bike lowered, you can lower it that much less. And yes, try thick-soled boots, too.

Someone else besides the OP mentioned lowering the bike to be able to flatfoot. I'd say flatfooting is totally unnecessary. I know it makes new riders more comfortable but it doesn't serve any real purpose except when duck walking. Unfortunately, you might have to get off to push the bike.

If you don't have a lot of riding experience and you "need" to have your feet flat on the ground, I'd say you're not ready for this kind of bike. Get some serious mileage on a bike that's easier to manage and I bet that, in time, you won't even think about getting both feet down and flat anymore.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 01-16-13, 22:15   #19
R675Soldier

i dont think lowering an inch or two will drastically change the suspension unless your doing over 90 mph on a corner. i lowered my girl's old gsxr 2 inch and notice very little change, but then again i just cruised on it and didnt hit any twisties.

i'm 5'4 and the seat height of my new 12 is alot higher than my 04 R6. the height actually reminds me of the 06 R6 and up. feels like the same height. i'm on the ball of my feet on both side with the 12. i might lower it an inch so i feel more comfortable and then brimg back to stock height when i go to the track. i know you guys said shave the seat but it wont be comfortable. i want to buy saddlemen for comfort cuz i am planning on taking it to work which is an hour ride. my old bike killed my ass and now i dont mind spending some money for better seat

how hard is it to install a lowering link? and will it void my warranty if i do it myself?

Old 01-17-13, 00:00   #20
domanhtien2007

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by R675Soldier View Post
i dont think lowering an inch or two will drastically change the suspension unless your doing over 90 mph on a corner. i lowered my girl's old gsxr 2 inch and notice very little change, but then again i just cruised on it and didnt hit any twisties.

i'm 5'4 and the seat height of my new 12 is alot higher than my 04 R6. the height actually reminds me of the 06 R6 and up. feels like the same height. i'm on the ball of my feet on both side with the 12. i might lower it an inch so i feel more comfortable and then brimg back to stock height when i go to the track. i know you guys said shave the seat but it wont be comfortable. i want to buy saddlemen for comfort cuz i am planning on taking it to work which is an hour ride. my old bike killed my ass and now i dont mind spending some money for better seat

how hard is it to install a lowering link? and will it void my warranty if i do it myself?
I believe that it is not too difficult to do it by yourself if you have the right tools, you can search on youtube or google for more information. I am not too sure about the warranty though.

Now, I decided not to lower my bike anymore because I will not feel comfortable if I lower it. I dont know, maybe it is just a personal feeling. Now, I try to keep the seat height at stock. I think that we (short riders) just need to get used with the height of the bike. It just improves our riding skill, in my opinion.
I have been riding with the stock height for a year now, and I will leave it like that. :)
That is my 2 cents. Ride safe and enjoy your bike.
I LOVE DAYTONA 675. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement