R/R Recall - Page 6 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 11-20-12, 15:14   #51
jaysexxin

I thought it was my battery until my bike stalled 1 day after riding on a brand new battery.

Took my bike to the dealership (Shoutout to Daniel @ Rocket Cycles in San Diego - really helpful guy) and they replaced it for free.

I called Triumph and they said they would compensate for the battery I bought. They asked for my last 6 of VIN, first and last name, and mailing address. I emailed the associate that helped me and got an email back within a few hours stating that the check should be on its way in the next 2 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
I replaced mine because it was shot. This was over a year ago.

When the recall went out I asked my dealer who I could speak to at Triumph to try and get reimbursed for my outlay. He just got in touch for me and sorted it out. It's taken a while mind, couple of months down the line and just been told the dosh is on the way. I had to provide a receipt, or at least let my dealer know when I bought it so he could trace it on his computer system. However I had the receipt. Around 190 and I expect to get the full amount back. If not I will be moaning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-13, 08:21   #52
zilwis

Hi All,

I have D675 '07 and R/R is not working. I saw that mine VIN (296236) is in range to change R/R but I live in Lithuania (EU) and we do not have Triumph dealership in my country, do any one knows what I should do?

Old 02-13-13, 11:09   #53
TRMN8TR

I would call the nearest dealer and see if they can help you out. They usually require you to bring the bike in, but maybe they would make an exception. You would probably have to send them your failed R/R and they can order a new one.

How far is it to the nearest dealership?

Old 02-13-13, 13:57   #54
zilwis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8TR View Post
I would call the nearest dealer and see if they can help you out. They usually require you to bring the bike in, but maybe they would make an exception. You would probably have to send them your failed R/R and they can order a new one.

How far is it to the nearest dealership?
I write message to UK dealers, nearest dealer is about 800 km from me :(

Old 02-24-13, 02:28   #55
Blaise

Thumbs down A tale of woe

Firstly, sorry for the wall-of-text...

A couple of years ago I experienced the dramas of a failed R/R where it decided to over-volt the system (turned out to be supplying 17.8V) which fried the ECU, boiled the battery dry and blew every bulb that was running at the time. I'd bought the bike second-hand less than 8 weeks before and as such, the bike came with a statutory 3 month warranty (thank goodness). The bike was transported to the dealer the following day...

The bike was off the road for nearly 10 weeks whist parts were sourced by the dealer from Triumph in the UK and the only reason I managed to get back on the road was through the intervention of Chris from Triumph Australia's head office with the dealer in question. Essentially, after 9 weeks in the shop, they finally decided the R/R was shot and the dealer needed to order a new one BUT there were none in Australia with a shortage/backorder coming out of the UK. It looked like I'd be waiting at least another 4 weeks as all 41 units on backorder were already spoken for. Triumph Australia instructed the dealer to install a shunt R/R in my bike until a replacement mosfet unit became available whereupon the dealer would call me to come in and get it swapped over. I went to the dealer (24 hours after Triumph Australia told me what was happening) to pick up the bike and was informed that I didn't need to come back in again (for a swap over) as they had sourced and installed the mosfet R/R. There was a new 675R on the workshop stand and I'd assumed they'd pulled the R/R from this machine and installed it in my Daytona. I went over this point a couple of times to ensure I understood them correctly and each time I was assured that I had the revised R/R installed. I never received any further calls from the dealer (and wasn't expecting to anyway) to say they had the replacement unit as I was told that I had the revised unit installed.

Well, the charging system has failed again and I started to investigate... and I now know that there were a number of different units depending on the VIN. Therefore, the R/R unit would have differed as the machine I assumed they'd pulled it from was a '11 model machine. I managed to dig up side-by-side photos of an original MY06 R/R unit and the revised/replacement unit from this post on here and I can confirm that the unit on my bike has the wires emitting directly from the heatsink, not the connector block style and adapter loom employed by the revised unit shown in the photos. In addition, I've also learnt that the orientation of the fins (when installed) for the revised unit face towards the rear of the bike, not towards the engine (as mine does) with the mounting plate to the rear. The unit installed on my bike is silver-ish, not grey-ish as shown in the photos. Finally, (and correct me if I'm wrong) the adapter plate that comes with the replacement kit hasn't been installed on my bike.

I called the dealer up and attempted to explain and rectify the situation insisting that the R/R unit they installed was an old type shunt unit, not the revised diode based unit I'd been told was fitted. Then it started - "that was 2 years ago", "out of warranty" and "there's been a few revisions of the replacement, how would you know it isn't the correct one?". He also explained that the problem might be the stator and/or the R/R so they'd need to look at it so I asked when I could bring the bike in. I was told that he was booked solid for 3 to 4 weeks (what a load of BS... sound more like he doesn't want me to come back). I got off the phone with the dealer, rang Triumph Australia's head office to state my case and asked if I could go to another dealer (one I'd been happy with the work they'd performed in the past) due to the delay the original dealer quoted. I was informed that as long as it was an official Triumph service centre, it'd be okay. I called the other dealer up, relayed my story and was told that this has the hallmarks of becoming a political "hot-potato" and I'd be better off attempting to rectify the problem with the service centre who did the original work. I can see his point as he doesn't stand to earn any money for work he might need to perform, plus it might get messy with head office. He did say that if I got into a bind to call him back and they'd see what could be done to help.

That's the point I'm at now... I'm still riding the bike (it's my primary/only mode of transport) BUT I need to put the battery on charge after each ride as I'm essentially relying on the stored charge of the battery to keep the bike going. I have consciously withheld the name of the original dealer to give then a chance to step up to the plate and fix this problem AT NO CHARGE (assuming that it's not simply a faulty stator). I fervently believed I was LIED to by this dealer regarding the R/R and they simply were hoping to fob me off with an "older style" unit... problem is that it appears to have failed again and the (suspected) ruse has been unearthed. Triumph International had an across-the-board recall of their shunt based R/R's due to the number of failures and if it turns out that I do indeed have an old style R/R (pretty likely), I'll be buggered of I'm going to shell out a single cent to have it repaired - especially as I was told I had the revised mosfet R/R installed.

Two questions I have based on my description above are:
  • Do I definitely have an older shunt unit?
  • Should this work be carried out free of charge (assuming the R/R is shunt based) seeing as Triumph were replacing these due to the recall and the fact I was lied to regarding what unit they'd installed?
I suppose I'll have to book her in and try pleading with them to look at it as soon as possible. Another possible avenue to pursue could be Consumer Affairs if I can confirm the unit is shunt based BUT all instructions and information was carried out verbally... I doubt any paper trail would confirm my assertions.

Old 02-24-13, 18:48   #56
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise View Post

Two questions I have based on my description above are:
  • Do I definitely have an older shunt unit?
  • Should this work be carried out free of charge (assuming the R/R is shunt based) seeing as Triumph were replacing these due to the recall and the fact I was lied to regarding what unit they'd installed?
Show us a picture of the R/R you have fitted and then we can make a call on which one it is.

Yes, the R/R recall is free as long as your bikes VIN is one of the bikes under recall.

If it's just the R/R that's packed up, without damaging anything else, then getting the recall MOSFET unit fitted should solve your problem.

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Old 02-24-13, 19:02   #57
Blaise

My R/R looked exactly the same as the old unit in your pics.

And it's definitely in the VIN range supplied on page 2.

Last edited by Blaise; 02-24-13 at 19:27.

Old 02-24-13, 19:22   #58
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Well it's an old one then. Just see if your bike is covered by the recall, if it is get the new MOSFET R/R fitted for free and then hopefully your troubles are over.

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Old 04-08-13, 14:13   #59
RickT

My R/R fried itself shortly after picking it up from winter storage last spring. Triumph replaced it under a "goodwill" program.

Just picked my bike up from this years winter storage and found out the R/R was again replaced as part of a recall.

No details on the recall or what bulletin it might have been part of. I asked if the recall was needed given I just had it replace last spring and they didn't know, so just replaced it anyway.

Got my fingers crossed this is going to be OK. Not sure if there was any connection but near the end of the riding season last year I noticed my battery seemed a little down on power. I thought maybe it was due to the bike sitting around in my garage due to not being ridden as much. Maybe it's connected to the R/R?

Old 04-08-13, 18:19   #60
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Maybe the first replacement was just another crap one. You should have the decent one now. I did a post with a photo comparing the two so have a search for that and make sure you have the decent one now. But you probably do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement