Towing PNO Track Bike - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Track Days

Track Days Track days and other non-racing related track events

Old 11-19-12, 13:24   #1
TheEssence

Default Towing PNO Track Bike

Question for you guys. My coworker said that it is not legal to even tow a vehicle that has a PNO registration on the road. He said for things such as dirtbikes, you need a "green sticker." My question is, for legal purposes, if you had a track-only bike, is it actually legal to trailer it to the track with a PNO registration? I did a search on the web and on the site for this, but didn't get any hits that were more than a "I think....." The only other thing I read was that you can trailer it with a PNO reg, but you just cannot tow a vehicle (such as a car, with the car's wheels on the ground and not using a trailer). Does anyone know for sure the laws regarding this. I know what most people do, I am just wondering the formal laws regarding this. IF I missed the link on this during my search just let me know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-12, 14:29   #2
MGFChapin

It's legal to transport your bike on a trailer with a PNO reg, but technically it's not even legal to ride it on the track because you're still operating it and racking up miles. If a cop pulls you over and sees the PNO reg but that it's in your name, there's no issue, but if you ever plan on putting it back on the road and the DMV sees your odo has gone up, you're screwed.

If you want to do it all legally, you need to either get valid on-road registration for your bike, or get it registered as an OHV. I usually kept my track bikes street legal so I never had to go through the hassle of getting a former OHV plated when I was ready to sell. The exception is my current race bike, which I don't even own the title for, just a bill of sale to show police if I get pulled over. That's pretty common too.

Old 11-19-12, 14:35   #3
tooblekain

Send a message via AIM to tooblekain

Is this for California? If the cop pulls you over asking for registration for the bike on a trailer or bed of a truck, advise him or her that under CVC 4009, "a vehicle transported upon a highway, no part of which is contact with the highway, is exempt from registration."

I got pulled over and when I sited that he immediately shut up. He then said I need to find out if any of the bikes are stolen. I advised him to then run the VINs to see if they're hot. Of course they were okay and he let us go.

What is The Clymb? Click on the link below and be prepared to be hooked:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/tooblekain

Old 11-19-12, 17:26   #4
TheEssence

I am considering buying a strictly track bike. The registration and title are both good, but the reg is a PNO. It will never be a street-legal bike again, at least not while I own it (if I end up being able to get it). So, I am not worried about anything re-registering it later as a street bike again or anything. I was just wondering about trailering it with a PNO reg. I was pretty sure it was fine, but wanted to double check.

Old 11-19-12, 17:29   #5
MGFChapin

In that case you'll be fine.

Old 11-19-12, 18:23   #6
TheEssence

Cool, thanks for your guys' input. Appreciate it.

Old 11-20-12, 01:22   #7
MacBandit

Most states that I'm aware of don't care about mileage on a motorcycle on resale or reregistration.

I do know if it's not rolling on public roads then it doesn't need registered. If you want to know all the details then the best way is to contact your local state police department.

Old 11-20-12, 01:26   #8
MGFChapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
Most states that I'm aware of don't care about mileage on a motorcycle on resale or reregistration.
There are 2 exceptions in CA: If you're registering an out-of-state bike, it has to have at least 7500 miles, and if you PNO a vehicle, when you go re-register as an on-highway vehicle, the odo needs to be the same as when you in-op'd it.

Old 11-20-12, 01:29   #9
MacBandit

Interesting. I've let registrations lapse and have never been asked for mileage but I've never owned a vehicle in California. In Oregon if it's not being sold new they don't care about the mileage ever. Even if you're buying an out of state bike.

Old 11-20-12, 01:34   #10
MGFChapin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
Interesting. I've let registrations lapse and have never been asked for mileage but I've never owned a vehicle in California. In Oregon if it's not being sold new they don't care about the mileage ever. Even if you're buying an out of state bike.
It's an emissions thing. They don't want people buying new out of state vehicles just to skirt the CA emissions regs, hence the mileage minimum. If you can prove it's CA compliant though, you can register before 7500.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement