Sold my bike for cheaper without pink slip. Now that i have it guy wont respond. - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Off Topic > LEO

LEO Law Enforcement Officers - Q & A

Old 11-19-12, 12:51   #1
jellies

Default Sold my bike for cheaper without pink slip. Now that i have it guy wont respond.

I sold my motorcycle for 4000 because I needed the money right away but I didn't have the pink slip because it was still in the mail. Since I didn't have it I gave him the bike for 3000 and the other 1000 would be given when I got the pink slip. He kept asking when it was going to come and when I finally got it he flaked out on picking it up. Now he's not responding to anything. The bike is in my name and I have the registration and pink slip. Would reporting the bike stolen be appropriate or should I not involve the police at all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-12, 12:56   #2
Disrupt

Did you have anything on paper? Even something stating the agreement (3000 upfront and 1000 for title) with both your signatures and notarized would have been good enough position that he wouldn't have been able to dick you over. Ill let the lawyers come in here and hopefully have more useful info.

Old 11-19-12, 13:06   #3
Godly

In my opinion i'd give him a day or two to respond to you, if he doesn't, i'd report the bike stolen just to get his attention. He can't register the bike without the title so I don't know why he wouldn't respond.

Old 11-19-12, 13:07   #4
Disrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godly View Post
In my opinion i'd give him a day or two to respond to you, if he doesn't, i'd report the bike stolen just to get his attention. He can't register the bike without the title so I don't know why he wouldn't respond.
track bike?

Old 11-19-12, 13:08   #5
eldridge216

Do you have any notorized documentation stating the deal? bill of sale, or some sort of contract that would bind the buyer to the agreement. and do you have any witnesses to the sale, along proof that he only gave you $3000 not $4,000?

for example,
I seller X sell my bike (year make model VIN xxxxxxxxxxxxx) to buyer Y for $4000.... ect. your signature, his signature, Notary stamp or witness signature depending on state rules.

if he has no docuemtnation (notorized bill of sale with your signature, his, and the bikes Vin number, and he obviously doesnt have the title according to your story) stating that he owns the bike, you can probably get the bike back. but if he has proof that he paid you for the bike its gone, at that point it is his word against yours and he would have the upper hand if he had a bill of sale. even if he didnt pay you the full amount but says he did would you be able to prove he didnt?

need more deteails, and YES CALL the POLICE, explain to them the exact situation, hell even go down to the station with the tilte and explain the situation.

pin to win

Old 11-19-12, 13:36   #6
jellies

Ok so I wrote out a bill of sale and signed it but I don't have his signature anywhere. I do have a copy of what I signed saying that I shall receive 1000 dollars when I hand over the title with the vin number and everything else. I still have title so if he shows the police that paper that I signed then he'll have to give me the 1000 right? If he doesn't show the paper though then there's no proof he purchased it And I have the title and registration.

Old 11-19-12, 13:42   #7
bmw4422

I'm not sure what to do here, but I don't think u should report it stolen.

That would be filing a false police report and could come back on you when the other guy produces the paper.

like someone else said, he may be planning on using it for a street bike and doesn't care to get it registered.

Old 11-19-12, 13:47   #8
jellies

My only guesses would be:

He's making it a track bike but he didn't seem like the type of guy that would.

He sold it without the title. Stupid as hell since he'd probably lose money.

He's parting it out. He bought the bike ready to give me 4k the day i sold it if i had the title. I don't think hes prepared to part out a bike.

He's just gonna ride it without registering it.

My worst fear is that he crashed the bike and doesn't think he needs the title for something he cant ride.

Old 11-19-12, 13:50   #9
jellies

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldridge216 View Post
Do you have any notorized documentation stating the deal? bill of sale, or some sort of contract that would bind the buyer to the agreement. and do you have any witnesses to the sale, along proof that he only gave you $3000 not $4,000?

for example,
I seller X sell my bike (year make model VIN xxxxxxxxxxxxx) to buyer Y for $4000.... ect. your signature, his signature, Notary stamp or witness signature depending on state rules.

if he has no docuemtnation (notorized bill of sale with your signature, his, and the bikes Vin number, and he obviously doesnt have the title according to your story) stating that he owns the bike, you can probably get the bike back. but if he has proof that he paid you for the bike its gone, at that point it is his word against yours and he would have the upper hand if he had a bill of sale. even if he didnt pay you the full amount but says he did would you be able to prove he didnt?

need more deteails, and YES CALL the POLICE, explain to them the exact situation, hell even go down to the station with the tilte and explain the situation.
The thing is that on the paper i gave him it says that he gave me 3000 and hell give me the last 1000 when i give him the pink slip. I still have the pink slip so he didn't pay me in full.

Also just wanted to thank all you for such fast responses! You guys are amazing!

Old 11-19-12, 13:52   #10
bmw4422

if crashing it is on your mind, I'd hope that he didn't and caused damage to something. If they researched the bike back, it would come back to you, and you have no bill of sale signed by him.

Not to add more worrying points to you, but the more info you have floating around, it can help you decide more quickly what you need to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement