2013 Daytona 675 & 675R first look - Page 8 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-19-12, 00:44   #71
aerozeta

So everyone is moving away from the undertail.....
It looks so Kawasaki with R6 pipe on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-12, 01:57   #72
LIV2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerozeta View Post
So everyone is moving away from the undertail.....
Only the shit manufacturers, the 2013 CBR600RR has an underseat

Old 11-19-12, 04:38   #73
autonomy

bit surprised there hasn't been some reviews of it yet? guess all the big mags/sites are gearing up for it soon? the new street triples had a run with MCN..

not to sound too uninitiated as i'm not into shaving every second off the track, but why is everyone so against underseat exhausts for track racing? i mean obviously more weight with the extra length and it's higher up, and every bit counts, but its not that much surely... i'm no physics or racing guru, but i would naturally assume that an underseat exhaust would provide the most central weight distribution. sure being up high its going to have a bit of a pendulum effect when pushing/pulling into corners, but you use that to your advantage once you're used to it right? if you're gonna get to the minutest of detail i would assume an undermount, whilst keeping the weight low, skews things to one side slightly and has a slight aerodynamic downside?

Last edited by autonomy; 11-19-12 at 04:49.

Old 11-19-12, 06:22   #74
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

The undertail exhaust is purely for looks, with a sidemount you get the weight lower which will help with turn in feel and handling since the weight is lower on the bike

For everyday street riders this makes no difference, but since the Daytona is made for the track that is where most companies are going and for a good reason. They want to win races. So they are going to do whatever is needed. Lower exhaust means lower weight means hopefully better handling and more wins.

Old 11-19-12, 06:26   #75
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIV2 View Post
Only the shit manufacturers, the 2013 CBR600RR has an underseat
And 848.

Honda will change the 600 once they actually do a redesign on it. The CBR600RR has not had a huge overhaul for a while now. So I bet in the next year or so they will be doing one.

Old 11-19-12, 15:32   #76
vg13z
BOTM Pimp Daddy!

Send a message via AIM to vg13z

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeledWonder View Post
And 848.

Honda will change the 600 once they actually do a redesign on it. The CBR600RR has not had a huge overhaul for a while now. So I bet in the next year or so they will be doing one.
the 2013 CBR is redesigned and they retained the undertail exhaust.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/625/14...irst-Look.aspx

Old 11-19-12, 16:35   #77
Tucker2.0

Send a message via MSN to Tucker2.0

You know the "third eye" is growing on me, the tail still looks short and stubby. Im not a bobber fan so to me it looks way off balance when viewing from the side.

Old 11-19-12, 18:54   #78
TonyNyc

Another consider for the under the tail pipe is that in the event you crash, the exhaust will probably come away unscathed. With the GP style exhaust, you are going to trash the muffler if the bike hits or lands on the right side. Believe me, I am speaking from experience. I crashed my 675 4 times this in seasons and the pipe was fine in all cases - I have the Arrow full exhaust. 2 of the crashes happened at pretty fast speeds - one resulting in me tearing my whole knee apart (I lowsided, got caught under the bike with foot still on peg. Bike hit curbing, flipped in air and took me with it) The other crash was a super fast lowside (like 110 mph) resulting in my Aplinestars Air Bag suit going off and a crushed gas tank.

I see R6's crash all the time at the track and the exhausts are almost always trashed afterwards.

Old 11-19-12, 21:01   #79
rddmm2

+1 on undertail exhaust. The side mount exhaust will often bear the brunt - even in a minor low side. Is expensive unless you can live with the road rash.

Old 11-19-12, 21:04   #80
Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vg13z View Post
the 2013 CBR is redesigned and they retained the undertail exhaust.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/625/14...irst-Look.aspx
2013 CBR600RR:

That's really not a redesign. It's a bit of a facelift. It's 85% the same bike. Rest assured, when they decide to do a ground-up redesign, the underseat exhaust will probably not survive.

Here's the thing, Triumph is basically damned if they do and damned if they don't. I think everyone is a bit disappointed in the lines of the new bike, but the exhaust was the right call.

Underseat exhausts, except for maybe TonyNYC's point, really don't make much sense at all. They're generally heavy, place weight up too high, and are inefficient for making power. They can also be uncomfortable, although the 675's is far from the worst.

The chunky subframe also saves weight and in the right area, too.

Now, had Triumph turned out the most beautiful bike in the world that couldn't win a magazine comparison test, the spec-sheet jockeys would be moaning to high heaven. And so would some of you.

Are projector lights or lack thereof really going to make or break a motorcycle purchase decision? (Especially, as someone noted, when the projectors suck.) I get that all the little things add up and looks count, especially since all these bikes are already way better than almost all of us can ride them, but Triumph still has to compete--in the magazines, websites, racetracks (and, maybe more importantly, in race paddocks) and ultimately the sales floor.

I wanted the Daytona to be prettier, too. But take a look at some of the videos on YouTube from the Milan show. They seem to give a little better impression of what the bike will look like in the flesh. I think you'll find that, while maybe not as distinctive and pretty as the original, it's probably better looking than you think. And some of the details are really well done.

I'm keeping my '07 but if the '13 is as good as some are predicting, I could see myself with one of those, too. I'll see it in person in January and decide if it's too ugly to have a ball on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement