Removing starter motor for track? - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 11-06-12, 13:05   #31
antirich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona.Scott View Post
Holy shit... what's the story on that bike? Did the motor just poof? Or was it a crash then boom
Guy had a simple lowside at turn 5, Lighting (CCS expert race). Bike spun around in circles, then spun back on track into the blind turn. A pack of riders came up and t-boned the GSXR 1000, right in the gas tank, sending the rider sky high. Bike then turns into a fireball from the impact.

I though it was a fire at the airport, for the smoke cloud was huge.

Bike that made the impact also bounced back and hit my friend who was in the following pack of racers. He was then hit by another rider who was avoiding the mess. Despite my friend being hit twice (on both sides), he managed to save the bike and park it on the armco. Amazing!

We got the impact and resulting mess on video. Wasn't fun for those involved. The fire also melted the pavement. GSXR had a full tank of race gas, for it was a GP race.

Oh, except for some bruised bodies, no one was seriously hurt.

CCS#696

http://www.dragonflyinteractive.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-12, 13:15   #32
Knolly
BOTM Winner

My first reaction: What the **** did I just read.

My second reaction: How could you possibly say all of that but not link to the video. Sounds absolutely insane, all things considered it's amazing everyone got out alright.

Old 11-06-12, 18:00   #33
antirich

It's probably not as dramatic as it sounds. Just a racing incident that resulted in flames instead of broken bones. Again, no one was seriously hurt and that's what really matters.

The surprising part was the guy who owned the GSXR. He actually didn't see much of the incident, for he slid off the bike about 50 feet before the collision. In the pits, he was pretty much taking it all in stride, and even joking around with us about it.

Nice to have that kind of money I guess.

CCS#696

http://www.dragonflyinteractive.com

Old 11-17-12, 02:35   #34
homer

Send a message via AIM to homer Send a message via Skype™ to homer

If its purely for the weight savings, you can do a few other things to remove just as much, if not more weight than the starter.

First, go on a diet and lose 5 pounds.

I'm not sure if you've explored aftermarket wheel options, but a set of carbon wheels will save you something like 5-6 pounds per wheel. Or a really high end set of magnesium wheels are almost as light.

You can even get carbon ceramic brake rotors. You'll save about 4 pounds replacing the front rotors. Not sure about the rear.

So, with carbon wheels and rotors, you'll save 15 pounds of unsprung, rotating mass.

I'm sure with a racebike, you've already done most of the weight saving race mods by now, such as the race fairings that eliminate the headlight assembly and other things.

My point being, removing something such as the starter has a much greater cost in time, convience, and other things that isn't outweighed by the weight savings.

For example, a buddy of mine from high school had an old 70's Ford F150 truck with a big block V8 and air conditioning. You usually don't see air conditioning on vehicles that old, especially on trucks, being how utilitarian they were back then. But in Florida, everything has a/c because it's unbearable without it in the 9 month long summer. But my friend in his infinite wisdom and desire to mod his slow ass truck and make it faster, decided to remove the a/c compressor for "weight savings". It probably weighed 20 pounds, which is nothing compared to the weight of the truck, especially with a big block engine that weighs about 900 pounds on its own. He decided to sacrifice a great deal of comfort and driveability for an imperceptible amount of weight savings. He was a chunky dude who needed to lose at least 50 pounds to get back in shape and he could have done that instead. But at least he made himself a free mobile sauna to sweat out the additional weight savings.

Nevertheless, I like that you are thinking about creative ways to shave weight from the bike.

One last thing: Luckily, the bike comes from the factory with a great deal of fasteners and bolts (mostly for the body parts) that are aluminum instead of steel. This probably saved at least a few pounds. But you could probably replace as many of the steel fasteners with aluminum ones to save additional weight, provided they don't need to be super strong for certain applications. But even then, you can get titanium fasteners.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement