Starting Issues After Fill-Up - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Maintenance and repair > Repair/Troubleshooting

Old 11-16-12, 14:56   #1
ICanHazCheetos

Default Starting Issues After Fill-Up

So I am having an issue starting my motorcycle. It seems like everytime I fill the tank, it doesn't want to start afterwards. I have to twist the throttle a lot to get it to start. Once I burn off some gas, it will start up with no issues. What could be my problem here? I'm using 93 octane.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-12, 15:15   #2
Disrupt

I had the same issue a couple days ago, but I just held the throttle open very slightly and it would start. But now it dosent want to start anymore.

Old 03-07-13, 12:52   #3
homer

Send a message via AIM to homer Send a message via Skype™ to homer

I've been having some similar issues as well. Lately, it's sporadically becoming harder to start.

Sometimes, it will start right up, cold or hot. Sometimes, it takes a couple attempts before it will start. And sometimes, it won't start at all. I'll run the battery dead trying to start it. Jump starting it gives it enough extra juice to spin the starter a little faster and eventually it will start.

It usually happens when I stop somewhere to get gas or go to the store after the bike has warmed up.

But this morning, I had the issue when the bike was cold. It took a couple tries, but it eventually started. And it backfired for the first time ever... just as the engine started.

I'm thinking maybe it's time to change my spark plugs. I installed plain copper plugs about 10,000 miles ago and I know that copper plugs tend to wear out sooner than platinums or iridiums. I'm hoping that's the problem.

Or maybe it's a fueling issue where it's flooding during the startup conditions? I could go into the tune and pull out some fuel under 500 RPM.

Hopefully, it's not the cam timing. I have 26,000 miles on the bike which is like having 100,000 miles on your car.

It's becoming really annoying and it's gotten to the point where I have to carry jumper cables wherever I go just in case I run the battery dead trying to start it.

Did you ever figure out what is causing the issue with your bike?

Old 03-07-13, 12:56   #4
DCMoney

change the plugs.

Old 03-07-13, 13:51   #5
BMAF

The pump wasn't green, was it?

BMAFRacing GP Brake Res kits - CLICK HERE

Old 03-07-13, 15:01   #6
Lightsdarkness

Send a message via AIM to Lightsdarkness

water in your gas?
2006 Graphite 675- 16,000 Miles- Sold

Old 03-07-13, 15:06   #7
Disrupt

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer View Post
Did you ever figure out what is causing the issue with your bike?
I have a LiFe PO4 battery (Ballistic) which don't like to start in the cold weather. Took the battery home, let it warm up and put it back on the bike and it started in the first attempt. MacBandit said that the bike will do some weird shit when its not getting the right juice. I am changing my plugs too, copper do need to be changed out more often, and getting 10k+ is probably over doing their longevity, so hopefully that's your problem.

Old 03-07-13, 16:07   #8
homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsdarkness View Post
water in your gas?
Worse... Ethanol. Nowadays, gas is diluted down with as much as 15% Ethanol (E-15). However, I did load a new tune on it via TuneECU that supports up to E-25. (Side note: I'd really like to find an E-85 tune) My bike is my daily driver in the winter when the weather is nice here, so I doubt there are any issues with the gas going bad. I do use a fuel additive on occasion, but I've experienced the same issue even with treated gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disrupt View Post
I have a LiFe PO4 battery (Ballistic) which don't like to start in the cold weather. Took the battery home, let it warm up and put it back on the bike and it started in the first attempt. MacBandit said that the bike will do some weird shit when its not getting the right juice. I am changing my plugs too, copper do need to be changed out more often, and getting 10k+ is probably over doing their longevity, so hopefully that's your problem.
Great point. There could be the possibility that the battery is right on the borderline. Right now, I have a BikeMaster TruGel battery that's over a year old. I'll do some voltage tests to be sure. But I've never had this issue with dying batteries, stators, or regulators in the past.

I'm always able to get it started eventually with jumper cables. But the last few times I've had to jump it, it's cranks over longer and longer before it actually fires.

I'll pull the plugs and check em out. I doubt they are fouled or anything, but they are probably just worn out. 10,000 miles on copper plugs with a motorcycle is a lot.

I'm gonna try and find a set of NGK Iridiums this time around. I thought about experimenting around with e3 Diamondfire plugs, but they have regular copper electrodes so they'll wear out just as quick as the cheap ones.

I'll post an update in a few days to see if I notice any difference.

Thanks for the help guys.

Homer

Old 03-07-13, 20:54   #9
homer

Default UPDATE

UPDATE:

I picked up a set of NGK Iridiums from Advance Auto on the way home from work today for 8 bucks each. (Ironic Note: The bike wouldn't start after I bought the plugs at the parts store. They had to get the jumper box out so I could crank it over until it finally started)

Pulled the old plugs when I got home and they were noticeably worn. Also, the threaded terminal posts at the top of the plugs had some minor surface corrosion on them. There was also a little bit of oil on the threads, but no evidence that the bike is burning oil. (I've attached a crappy cell phone pic of the old plugs)

I gapped the new plugs at .040, put some dielectric grease on the threaded terminal posts and sprayed a little bit of WD-40 inside each coil to help prevent moisture buildup and corrosion.

With the new plugs installed, the bike fired right up. I immediately noticed how much quicker and easier it starts. It fires up almost instantly, just like when the bike was new.

I haven't ridden the bike to test it in the same conditions as before, but I am 99% certain the new plugs fixed the problem and it will start every time now.

I'm sure there will also be a noticeable improvement in fuel mileage, as it's been degrading gradually the past few months or longer.

Homer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00077-20130307-1930.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	40122  

Old 03-11-13, 15:35   #10
kyle319

Default Re: Starting Issues After Fill-Up

Glad you found the problem... ive been fighting with a shoddy battery all last year and now even on the charger it has a full charge of 9.8 volts:P
So I gotta man up and buy a lithium one:/ also what plugs did you go with? I was gonna pick up some of ngk 10eix here once its nice out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement