Exhaust Deaden help - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > The Street Triple 675!

Old 11-16-12, 04:59   #1
tonee

Default Exhaust Deaden help

Hi all,

I received by Danmoto baffle today and I've read some people have stuffed the baffle with steel wool to deaden it or something. I'm not exactly sure what's the best way to tackle this, do I wrap it around the outlet gap, fill the outlet gap with the steel wool or fill the inlet hole with steel wool?

OUTLET

INLET

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-12, 07:30   #2
tp555

Baffle is a real perf killer. Restricting flow for noise control. Stuffing fiberglass in between the the shells will lessen noise but add more restriction. Drilling holes in the dead end wall will improve flow but add noise. The core pipe is usually a long pipe with lots of holes drilled into it with fiberglass surrounding it with some length to it.Note most silencer baffles have a smaller dia than that for this bike. like around 1" dia or a bit more. If your ambitious you could drill lots of holes thru both pipes and stuff it with fiberglass. Does require at least a drill press and it boring as hell. Danmotos are really cheap.Actually worth it, the SS one, for the connecting pipes and shell for a rebuild with new guts.I have thought about that. Might do it in the future. To quiet this puppy down make a new baffle using 1 1/4" Dia pipe welded to the the end cup for mounting. As long as it can be with fiberglass stuffed around it.Drill 1/8" holes in the length as many as you can stand. You would have flow and some noise reduction. Better than what you have now. Does require fabrication equipment or hopefully you know someone.

Old 11-16-12, 11:46   #3
vintagespeed

have you tried it as is? if so and you want more quiet then using still wool will help. wrap the center section (with the holes) with layers of steel wool. you'll also need to secure it around that center tube with some bailing wire or stainless zip ties to keep it from roaming around inside your pipe as it breaks down over time.

the trick is to wrap layers, not just stuff it 'til it's packed tight. look up "re-packing a 2 stroke pipe" on google and you'll see how its' done.

if you pack it in there too tightly you'll restrict exhaust flow enough to overheat the engine, burn valves or other nastiness.

Old 11-16-12, 14:44   #4
tonee

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
have you tried it as is? if so and you want more quiet then using still wool will help. wrap the center section (with the holes) with layers of steel wool. you'll also need to secure it around that center tube with some bailing wire or stainless zip ties to keep it from roaming around inside your pipe as it breaks down over time.

the trick is to wrap layers, not just stuff it 'til it's packed tight. look up "re-packing a 2 stroke pipe" on google and you'll see how its' done.

if you pack it in there too tightly you'll restrict exhaust flow enough to overheat the engine, burn valves or other nastiness.
Thanks, I'm just wondering how you'd wrap it within the small gap to get it around the tube. The spacing is very small, do I shape the wool first and slide it in? But then that'd be similar to "stuffing" it not wrapping

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 11-19-12, 10:59   #5
desmodromic

Get some stainless steel pot scrubbers like these:

Sized appropriately so that they will press-fit into the inner tube of your exhaust. Stick 1 or 2 down your exhaust, and then install your attenuator. Basically you are using the attenuator to hold the pot scrubber(s) in place, and prevent them from blowing out.

You may have an issue with the scrubber unraveling and working its way through the holes in the attenuator. You can prevent this by wrapping the attenuator with screen from an exhaust repair kit:

http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem...epair%20Kit-66

I did this with a Competition Werkes lowboy and it is significantly quieter.

Last edited by desmodromic; 11-19-12 at 13:48.

Old 11-19-12, 14:35   #6
vintagespeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonee View Post
Thanks, I'm just wondering how you'd wrap it within the small gap to get it around the tube...
that there is the trick my friend.

Old 11-19-12, 22:33   #7
tonee

Here's what I've done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1353382365494.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	34104  

Old 11-19-12, 22:33   #8
tonee

Is this what you mean?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1353382408702.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	34105  

Old 11-19-12, 22:58   #9
spike_africa

That's what I did. I got two bags of coarse steel wool and stuff them up. I would still much rather search some more into the cruiser crowd and get a universal baffle that would fit inside. There are so many to choose from. Just need to get one that is twice the length and I don't think I would need the steel wool then.

Old 11-20-12, 01:05   #10
tonee

sweet, and thats safe for the engine?

I don't want fry those valves

Sponsored Links
Advertisement