09+ cylinder head on 06 engine? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > Performance Mods

Old 11-14-12, 12:22   #1
pyroking339

Default 09+ cylinder head on 06 engine?

Do you guys know if it's possible. Since I haven't seen anything about it before, my guess is that's because it won't work. As I probably incorrectly recall, the changes to the top end that mate with other systems were limited to the cam profile and exhaust port shape, so that would supposedly work right? I'd be adding the appropriate exhaust and tuning it. I'm bored in class and got thinking so I thought I'd there it out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-12, 13:56   #2
antirich

To the best of my knowledge, it should work. I even think one of my older engines had a 2010 head on a 2007 block, but i can't remember.

The head gaskets are the same, as well as cams (not profile, but size), pistons, rods, valves, cam chain, etc. The big difference is the port shape and exhaust area.

You'll have to use the newer cam tensioner, cause the mount is different on the newer head. Obviously, the exhaust are different too.

CCS#696

http://www.dragonflyinteractive.com

Old 11-14-12, 14:49   #3
pyroking339

Quote:
Originally Posted by antirich View Post
To the best of my knowledge, it should work. I even think one of my older engines had a 2010 head on a 2007 block, but i can't remember.

The head gaskets are the same, as well as cams (not profile, but size), pistons, rods, valves, cam chain, etc. The big difference is the port shape and exhaust area.

You'll have to use the newer cam tensioner, cause the mount is different on the newer head. Obviously, the exhaust are different too.
Thanks. I thought the gaskets were the same. I don't recall any changes to the injectors or the intake, but wouldn't be surprised. Exploring it as a cheaper way to get the newer engine changes.

Old 11-15-12, 01:31   #4
MacBandit

Yes it will work. You'll need a manual cam chain tensioner for the new head though. The 2009+ Daytona has a hydraulic tensioner and the old bike does not. There is not provision in the old block for oil supply for the hydraulic tensioner so as I said before you will need a manual one.

Also you'll need a custom dyno tune since the new head flows completely different from the previous one and the old ECU isn't compatible with the new maps. Of course you could copy the fuel and ignition tables over but that doesn't get you any of the throttle smoothing and other half dozen behind the scenes maps that make it all work well so a custom tune is the best option.

Also you'll need the 09+ cams but that probably goes without saying.

Throttle bodies, injectors and everything else in the intake tract are the same. In fact the intake cam is the same as well. All the changes were to the exhaust side.

Old 11-15-12, 02:56   #5
Triumph Race Support

So which head gasket are you going to use as both stock engines have different ones!

Old 11-15-12, 03:16   #6
MacBandit

As far as I know the only difference is the allowance for the oil passage for the CCT. Ether head gasket should work since the CCT doesn't require oil in this application.

Old 11-15-12, 05:43   #7
RSV675

What type of gains, can be had from performing the head swap?

Tune ECU Tuned-Leo Vince SBK Factory Titanium Full Exhaust-Carbon Fiber Shark Fin,Rear Hugger,Chain Guard,Heel Guards-LSL Spindle Sliders-WoodCraft Rear Sets-GP Rear Brake Kit-Triumph Gold Yoke Nut-Competition Werks Integrated Smoked Tail Light-Chinese Levers-

Old 11-15-12, 12:17   #8
MacBandit

Around 5hp on a stock motor. On a built bike nothing over the old head. You can port the old head along with a full system and the exhaust cam from the 09+ and get the same numbers as the newer bike.

Old 11-15-12, 15:18   #9
pyroking339

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
Around 5hp on a stock motor. On a built bike nothing over the old head. You can port the old head along with a full system and the exhaust cam from the 09+ and get the same numbers as the newer bike.
Thanks for responding. I was hoping I'd hear something from you on this.
Not doing this for sure. I was just wondering if this would be an option when I eventually want to get more out of the engine. I've heard the ports are better than the gen 1 and there are more exhaust options for the gen 2 exhaust ports. Just another potential direction to go with the modding

Old 11-15-12, 15:39   #10
MacBandit

It's really not an option I would consider unless you are racing and need every last bit of power. If you need a new motor then picking up a used 09+ is another good option. If you have an older Daytona and are just looking for power then cam timing and a dyno would be a good place to start. After that then port the heads and more dyno work. There are a lot of options out there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement