2013 Daytona 675 & 675R first look - Page 5 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-14-12, 16:48   #41
bizzyballa31

That thing is Fugly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-12, 19:41   #42
Echo3Niner

Send a message via AIM to Echo3Niner Send a message via Yahoo to Echo3Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyuscdjs View Post
Two more HP and two more ft/lb is easily achievable with the arrow exhaust. So yes, for $1,800 more than a '12, add a Yoyodyne and Aftermarket exhaust and what have you really gained? Seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyuscdjs View Post
Sorry, I respect your opinion but I believe more people find this to be a "follower move" rather than a "leader move" which has been a hallmark of triumph since they were reborn.
I'm just using these quotes as an examples of many of the points made here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
The new 2013 has a completely different motor. From what I've read it sounds like it will be easier to develop more reliable power. It has a separate cylinder block now which makes me think they've probably gotten away from the floating cylinder liner which was a weak point on the WSS bike. Also it has high and low speed fuel injectors. Not to mention the fact that it has a factory slipper means the fuel injection is likely tuned to work with it which is always a huge advantage.
Then this quote begins my answer. This isn't just about the incremental changes; based on what I've read, this is about building a competitive bike for WSS. If you watched Jason DiSolvo destroy the clutch and drive line of his AMA Daytona R this year, while Dominguez's lighter tuned bike lasted most races, you'd know that the circa 2006 internal mechanical design needed to be updated to allow for the increase in power needed to be competitive at the highest levels.

So, don't think of it as only +2 ponies and minus a couple pounds, think of it as capable of handling the +50HP and minus 50 lbs when tuned for professional level racing.

All that being said; I'm not a huge fan of the looks either, it is not as different as it used to be, and that was part of it's charm.

But, other than the Italians, who seem to be able to build both performance AND looks (although their build quality and reliability still are far behind), if you look at racing at almost any professional level, form comes a very far second to function, and I think Triumph (and the teams) are tired of losing.

Since I'm not a professional racer, sure doesn't mean I'm gonna rush out and buy one. Three years from now though, when everyone's gotten used to it, and the older bikes are a more distant memory, opinions will change (for a large portion of the crowd anyway); especially if they start winning championships.

Cmd MGySgt of the 1st Tri Div; Daytona RG, 2nd Gen BN, SE Co. (#1)

Retired member: Sixth Gen Militia - 1st VTEC BN (#215)

2011 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition
Triumph Arrow Slip-on
Carbon Tank Protector
Gel seats
Helibars TracStar

Also 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada

Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle; VMI NROTC/Marine Grad

“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”

Old 11-14-12, 22:50   #43
Shamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbfgc View Post
Triumph = fail. I'm all about progression, but to me, asthetically, this thing looks like ass. I don't care how it performs. Would you sleep with a fat ugly chick who's amazing under the sheets and brag to your bros about it? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Ducati is the only manufacturer making nice bikes anymore. Maybe Aprilia. The only Triumph I would ever consider again would be the pre '13s.
If it's the best lay I've ever had, heck yes I would brag! In fact, the best time in the sack for me was with an overweight red head! :D

As for the new bike, why does it say +2 hp? Mine (2009) already has 126bhp? According to multiple sources.

Old 11-14-12, 22:59   #44
MacBandit

According to Triumph the 2012 Daytona makes 125PS which makes out to be slightly more then 123HP.

As for pricing someone here is reading things wrong.

2012 Daytona = $10,999
2013 Daytona = $11,599

$600 difference

2012 Daytona R = 12,699
2013 Daytona R = 13,499

$800 difference

I agree the stock muffler is ugly but what modern bike comes with a good looking muffler and still meets emissions. I know some of you think the F3 muffler looks good but I think it's even uglier then the new Daytona muffler. The point really is who keeps the stock exhaust on a sport bike? Not many people.

Last edited by MacBandit; 11-14-12 at 23:10.

Old 11-15-12, 00:05   #45
Torchsport

Location: 90 miles from Brainerd International Raceway, Minnesota

I can understand some of the negativity towards a new direction of a model. But I'm not as emotionally, and/or financially attached to the outgoing design.
Don't get me wrong, it is sexy as hell, but to me, the newcomer is just as sweet.

I'm definitely interested in reading the shootouts/reviews/reports. It's more of a forward leap than I've seen from the japanese manufacturers, the last several years.

Old 11-15-12, 00:51   #46
MadMel

Peak numbers are only part of the power equation. How it is delivered is the more important part. Same thing with weight... absolute weight matters, but how it feels is just as important.

I will wait for some ass-in-seat reviews before passing judgement on which is the better bike.

Old 11-15-12, 00:56   #47
MacBandit

Definitely a good tact to take. Arguing over specs and appearance is really pointless. Specs lie and people have different tastes.

Old 11-15-12, 14:27   #48
cosmos///m3

Wow... gotta say I have been out of the game for awhile. Sold my 07' back in 2009 and have missed it every day since then... Recently started looking around for a 11'-12' 675R...

Yet I heard about the new 2013s... I gotta say, not liking them at all. I think the exhaust bugs me the most, then the headlights. No thanks. Hopefully I find a slightly used 675R before Spring comes :D

Old 11-15-12, 14:33   #49
dubguy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos///m3 View Post
Wow... gotta say I have been out of the game for awhile. Sold my 07' back in 2009 and have missed it every day since then... Recently started looking around for a 11'-12' 675R...

Yet I heard about the new 2013s... I gotta say, not liking them at all. I think the exhaust bugs me the most, then the headlights. No thanks. Hopefully I find a slightly used 675R before Spring comes :D
Get a 2012.. They are better in a few ways

Old 11-15-12, 14:35   #50
cosmos///m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy85 View Post
Get a 2012.. They are better in a few ways

Like I said I have been aways for a bit :) What are the differences?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement