R suspension bottom of the barrel? - Page 5 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  
New Posts Faq / Help? XBOX Live Modifications Classifieds
   
Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > All Things Suspension

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-12, 23:09   #41
Shamrock
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 791
Thanks: 38
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgun_13 View Post
It is just off the bottom of the barrel for ohlins and brembo...

SORRY!

Production bikes dont use top shelf anything!.

YES! Somebody gets it!
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-12, 22:40   #42
f16falcon
Member
 
f16falcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Why do you need to be pro to use suspension??

I don't get the logic of saying only a pro can benifit from advanced suspension. That makes no sense to me. Do we understand what suspension does? Consider a bike with NO suspension compared to one with average suspension. Do you need to be a pro to benefit from the average suspension? No, because simply riding the bike normally, you will feel unstable with no shocks.

Suspension helps keep the tire on the ground and therefore adds more grip. Why do you need to be a pro to benifit? People crash many times because they exceed grip. A novice will exceed grip faster than a pro if both are riding normally, so the novice would be better off with better suspension. The pro, who is better at managing his grip, will not need as much. So imagine a noob with top of the line suspension who goes into a turn too hot. He leans too much because of bad body positioning. Would the extra stability from superior suspension not benefit this noob?

Are you guys saying rather that any high end suspension with give just about the same level of grip and stability for normal riding? Perhaps the advantages of the higher end suspension are things like adjustability(which the noob will not know how to use) and it's performance at it's limits which a noob which never get close too?
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-12, 23:02   #43
DecepticonDon
BOTM Marshall
 
DecepticonDon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: near Savannah, GA
Posts: 3,528
Thanks: 43
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16falcon View Post
I don't get the logic of saying only a pro can benifit from advanced suspension. That makes no sense to me. Do we understand what suspension does? Consider a bike with NO suspension compared to one with average suspension. Do you need to be a pro to benefit from the average suspension? No, because simply riding the bike normally, you will feel unstable with no shocks.

Suspension helps keep the tire on the ground and therefore adds more grip. Why do you need to be a pro to benifit? People crash many times because they exceed grip. A novice will exceed grip faster than a pro if both are riding normally, so the novice would be better off with better suspension. The pro, who is better at managing his grip, will not need as much. So imagine a noob with top of the line suspension who goes into a turn too hot. He leans too much because of bad body positioning. Would the extra stability from superior suspension not benefit this noob?

Are you guys saying rather that any high end suspension with give just about the same level of grip and stability for normal riding? Perhaps the advantages of the higher end suspension are things like adjustability(which the noob will not know how to use) and it's performance at it's limits which a noob which never get close too?
The newb exceeding his available grip would be doing so because he doesn't know the limit of grip, nor can he understand the feedback from his tires and suspension.

What do you consider normal riding, chicken strip annihilating or commuting?
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-12, 22:09   #44
Dave73
Senior Member
 
Dave73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 1,136
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

This is how it works:

Honda, Suzuki, Triumph, etc call up Showa, Kayaba, Ohlins, etc and say " Hey, we want to use your stuff. We are going to buy eleventy sets of them...we want hootus valves, unobtanium coatings, and super widgets...how much will that cost?" Showa, Kayaba, and Ohlins gives their price with those specs in mind. If Honda, Suzuki, Triumph, etc like it then they buy it. If not, they change the specs to suit their needs or to achieve their target price point.
__________________
09 Street Triple
06 Track Triple
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 00:24   #45
Red October
Member
 
Red October's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Posts: 207
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16falcon View Post
Suspension helps keep the tire on the ground and therefore adds more grip. Why do you need to be a pro to benifit? People crash many times because they exceed grip. A novice will exceed grip faster than a pro if both are riding normally, so the novice would be better off with better suspension.
If novice exceeds the grip it's likely due to excessive lean angle which is driven by bad BP...as you point out below. In this case higher end suspension wouldn't save them anyway.

Quote:
The pro, who is better at managing his grip, will not need as much. So imagine a noob with top of the line suspension who goes into a turn too hot. He leans too much because of bad body positioning. Would the extra stability from superior suspension not benefit this noob?
Just to pull a number out of air...in 90% of the cases the answer is no?

Quote:
Are you guys saying rather that any high end suspension with give just about the same level of grip and stability for normal riding?
Yes

Quote:
Perhaps the advantages of the higher end suspension are things like adjustability(which the noob will not know how to use) and it's performance at it's limits which a noob which never get close too?
Yes to both, and BETTER adjustability.

Consider your average track day noob/beginner level rider which, honestly, is pretty good equivalent to "normal riding".
Do they feel difference in suspension or tire grip given the times they run and lean angles which probably do not exceed 45 deg? Not bloody likely.
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 19:10   #46
Dave73
Senior Member
 
Dave73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 1,136
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Part of becoming a faster rider is learning the limits of your equipment. As far as a noob needing upgraded stuff... If they haven't exceeded the capability of the base model equipment (which is pretty good), why would they need something better?

I have seen a few 675Rs at the track and haven't been wowed by an operator yet...
__________________
09 Street Triple
06 Track Triple
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 19:22   #47
Jstu202
John the Jersey Admin
 
Jstu202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,167
Thanks: 9
Thanked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave73 View Post

I have seen a few 675Rs at the track and haven't been wowed by an operator yet...
Prepare to be wowed..

(my R is still waiting for its full exhaust.. haven't even put a mile on it yet haha)
__________________

CCS Expert # 900 STT - Advanced TPM - Advanced NESBA - Advanced TTD - Advanced
Spammer Kill Count - 205 "Piranha Gun! Oh Yeaaa!!"
Ridersdiscount
- BridgewaterAcura - VIP Honda - JackTrebourMotorcycles
"Death smiles at us all, All a man can do is smile back."
2014 Triumph675.net Track Day! Sign up HERE!
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 19:31   #48
Dave73
Senior Member
 
Dave73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 1,136
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Oh, I'm sure there are some fast guys with'em... just they seem to be in the minority from what I've seen so far.
__________________
09 Street Triple
06 Track Triple
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-12, 22:15   #49
shouldnthave
BOTY Winner
 
shouldnthave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,255
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave73 View Post
Oh, I'm sure there are some fast guys with'em... just they seem to be in the minority from what I've seen so far.
I know a few...


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
__________________
675R dedicated track bike.

My Girl: http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76881
Status: Offline
 
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump





Forum SEO by Zoints
Copyright 2009 TRIUMPH675.NET Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum