Mallala trackdays - Page 42 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Regional forums > Australia and Asia-Pacific

Australia and Asia-Pacific AAP Regional forum; rides, get togethers, events

Old 11-11-12, 16:26   #411
old blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidr View Post
The thought has crossed my mind, however I fear rashing the Ape.
I assume Brackets would be my only option with the Ape (at least to have a chance of not being stone motherless last all the time) ?
Yep, Brackets would be your best bet.

Go on, give it a go. You'll love it! And you only need to go as fast as you want. But it's a different atmosphere and somehow more 'meaningful' than a track day.

I guess the biggest benefit is this - you will be riding with racers, so you'll learn good techniques and lines simply by observing the people you're on track with.

By comparison, at track days you're sharing space with everyone from the occasional racer to the worst kind of dangerous numpty available - it's hard to learn from others when the standard is so patchy.

Brackets, David. You know you want to do it!

O.B

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-12, 20:33   #412
SV650

Yep, I will be racing the December meet.

David, bracket racing is good fun, the grid is well spaced so you only race the people in your row.

Four riders and you'll get to know there technique/strengths/weak areas throughout the day which makes for some pretty fun racing.

You've got the flash Aprilia right? I had considered bracket racing my 748, but int the end it was better to just buy the sv650.

Cheap, fun and easy to ride. After the weekend just gone, racing amongst other limited class bikes I can't think of anything more fun.

Unless you want to win an open class race, a 650 twin is a great bike for the two race tracks in this state.

Old 11-11-12, 20:51   #413
Rorz

Brackets is the only race you can do without race prepping the bike anyway (raceglass w/bellypan, lockwiring etc). From memory you can do 3 bracket races with your mirrors, numberplate etc removed, lights taped, water in cooling system. I think you'll also need case savers, side stand removed as well.

After those 3 races you can no longer enter under 'P' plates and will need full prep. That said it could easily take you 18 months or longer to get those three races under your belt.

I think you'd go well in Brackets, you certainly won't come last with those lap times. Depending on the field you might be battling for an outright win in Bracket 2. I can understand the aprehension of putting the Ape down, I'd hate to think what it'd cost to fix if you did a proper job on it. Maybe a $2-3k Limited shitter would be a better option?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_GB#gid=0

Old 11-11-12, 21:10   #414
Rorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemm View Post
Yes it's a 2-day. Saturday is prac/qual/race and Sunday is racing.
Sup regs here:
http://www.motorcyclingsa.org.au/doc...FormC12151.pdf

$240 for 3 races of 6 laps where I would get lapped on Limited's lap 4.... No thanks!
Bring on historic champs at Mac Park... Super fun there :-) (anyone else going to that?)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

From what I understand there will still be a ride day on the Saturday. I think the intention is to just have a couple races in the afternoon in place of the racers track sessions (ride day sessions will go on as normal) so that people that have just come out to the ride day can check out a few races on the Saturday and see how it all goes down with the hope that some of them might decide to give it a crack. That was what was discussed the other day anyway.

What bike are you running and what kind of laps are you putting in? I can't think of any bike combination that will result in only being able to do 3 races. You should also be eligible for Brackets which means you'll get 2 x practice sessions, 2 x qualifying, 3 x Bracket races and 3 x Limited races. Trust me, that's plenty of racing... you'll be shattered at the end of the weekend.

Even if you do get lapped in a Limited race... who cares? The guys at the pointy end of Limited are absolutely flying (sub 1:17 which is a freaking decent time on a sportbike) so there's no shame in being rounded up by a $15k+ GP bike or a little twin that has wheels worth more than your whole bike. They're also good riders so you'll find they pass you super clean. You'll be so entrenched in a battle with someone going your own pace you won't even notice them!!

Have you considered popping down to one of the race club meetings? Pretty casual affair, brief meeting about racing then a few beers while talking about bikes. I'm sure if you come down we can allay some of your concerns, everybody is pretty friendly and keen to get new faces out racing regardless of whether you're setting lap records or a mobile chicane. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Old 11-13-12, 04:45   #415
Rorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorz View Post
Anyone want to buy some used track tyres?

I have 2 x Pirelli Diablo slick rears in 180/55R17 SC2 compound (perfect for 600)

$100 each

also have a front Metzeler Racetec 120/70R17 K2 compound

$80

Nobody wants these? Plenty of life left in them.

Old 11-14-12, 15:19   #416
gemm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorz View Post
What bike are you running and what kind of laps are you putting in? I can't think of any bike combination that will result in only being able to do 3 races. You should also be eligible for Brackets which means you'll get 2 x practice sessions, 2 x qualifying, 3 x Bracket races and 3 x Limited races. Trust me, that's plenty of racing... you'll be shattered at the end of the weekend.

<snip>You'll be so entrenched in a battle with someone going your own pace you won't even notice them!!

Have you considered popping down to one of the race club meetings? Pretty casual affair, brief meeting about racing then a few beers while talking about bikes. I'm sure if you come down we can allay some of your concerns, everybody is pretty friendly and keen to get new faces out racing regardless of whether you're setting lap records or a mobile chicane. Everybody has to start somewhere.
Hee hee, you haven't seen my bike!
Air-cooled, 99cc, mildly tickled 1980 Honda H100 hiding behind a RS125 fairing. This is me:

1:42's at Mac Park, and similar at Mallala but haven't been to Mallala for nearly 2 years now. I'm in Atujara MCC and the guys there are great, being chucked in with the RDs/LC's isn't too bad. Meetings are the same from the sound of it, beers, snags, bikes.

As for being entrenched in battles with people my own pace they don't seem to be racing at Mallala anymore since the two Historic Groups seem to have been dropped. Whereas at the Mac Park meets there are a bunch of older 125's and buckets that come across the Vic border, plus the P2's and P3, racing at both NYE and Easter this year there were races with multiple overtaking and many people were finishing within a second if each other - it was great! (And I'd finish mid-field!) I look wistfully at Hartwell/Winton and even more jealously at the big fields in PCRA's Superlite/Motolite/Commuterlite classes in NSW and similar in Qld. If only we had something like that here where you could race on a reliable 125, it would be so much fun!
But I guess in reality Mallala doesn't lend itself much to that style of racing.

Old 11-14-12, 16:02   #417
old blue

Mallala USED to cater for that sort of racing back when I raced a CB125 in buckets.

But despite opening the buckets class with rules that capped mods and spending to a modest level, in next to no time there were guys racing megabuck, super-modified bikes, ignoring the spirit of the class (and the rules...) and hosing the people who got into Buckets for a bit of cheap fun.

Unsurprisingly, the class died soon after.

Honda H100? Love 'em?

O.B

Old 11-14-12, 16:36   #418
gemm

Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post
Mallala USED to cater for that sort of racing back when I raced a CB125 in buckets.

But despite opening the buckets class with rules that capped mods and spending to a modest level, in next to no time there were guys racing megabuck, super-modified bikes, ignoring the spirit of the class (and the rules...) and hosing the people who got into Buckets for a bit of cheap fun.

Unsurprisingly, the class died soon after.

Honda H100? Love 'em?

O.B
Yep they seem to have better controls on mods in the eastern states, and maybe people with more balls in enforcing the rules which has contributed to the class' longevity

Honda H100 - ringadingding! and at least I can pull the bike apart and put it back together myself ;-) Got it for $100 in a million bits. And if anyone still has a CB125 or other bucket unloved in the shed I know someone that is looking for one!

Old 11-14-12, 16:52   #419
old blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemm View Post
Yep they seem to have better controls on mods in the eastern states, and maybe people with more balls in enforcing the rules which has contributed to the class' longevity

Honda H100 - ringadingding! and at least I can pull the bike apart and put it back together myself ;-) Got it for $100 in a million bits. And if anyone still has a CB125 or other bucket unloved in the shed I know someone that is looking for one!
Sold my bucket about 18 months ago to a young guy who tracked it a couple times, but I've not seen it out there in quite awhile now.

Shame. It has a hot cam (tighe), the head was ported and bench flowed by Bill Hanson, has heavy duty clutch, flat slide carb, Redline race exhaust and more. Although it's not much to look at, the engine's a monster.

I used to be all over H100's in the turns, start pulling past them on the exit, then you'd hear the little H clear its throat and come on the pipe. Bye! They'd leave me standing still! Great little bikes.

O.B

Old 12-04-12, 00:07   #420
SV650

Four sleeps till next race...!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement