What did you do to your Street Triple today? - Page 283 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > The Street Triple 675!

Old 11-12-12, 08:35   #2821
woz

Quote:
Originally Posted by archetypicalone View Post
Maybe send Darren an email using the contact page and ask him when they'll be available? Well worth the wait.

Sent from my HTC One S using Motorcycle.com Free App
I second this - their website isnt fantastic, but the quality of their work is seriously impressive, and well worth the wait. Certainly worth firing them an email, and seeing if they can sort you out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-12, 10:24   #2822
Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ky View Post
Sheared the shifter shaft off right at the circlip whilst shifting up into third gear today.

No reason I could see for this, especially as I have a triumph quickshifter fitted and just tapped the shift lever upwards as usual.

Had to ride the bike home stuck in third...

Examined the break and it was a pretty clean snap-off, no jagged edges, no evidence of prior damage.

A half inch steel shaft snapping like a carrot??!!! Very strange...

All I can think of is that the shaft must have been defective from the factory.

The bike is out of warranty, but I think that Triumph should still warranty the work and parts. After all, how many shifter shafts have you ever heard of just snapping off?

However, chances are they won't warranty it, unfortunately.

Anyone got a spare shifter shaft for a 2010 lying around?

S.
You lookin for this?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1352733724.965959.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	33991

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 11-12-12, 10:52   #2823
Orangeman
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ky View Post
Sheared the shifter shaft off right at the circlip whilst shifting up into third gear today.

No reason I could see for this, especially as I have a triumph quickshifter fitted and just tapped the shift lever upwards as usual.

Had to ride the bike home stuck in third...

Examined the break and it was a pretty clean snap-off, no jagged edges, no evidence of prior damage.

A half inch steel shaft snapping like a carrot??!!! Very strange...

All I can think of is that the shaft must have been defective from the factory.

S.
I am aggressive with the shifter and also have the quickshifter fitted. I saw the long exposed end of the shifter shaft and the recess for the circlip as a built in weak point or at least a good lever to wear out the bearing/seal in the case so fitted the Sato Racing shifter shaft support the moment they offered it for the 675. Now I know it was good insurance.

(The stock sprocket cover still fits over it and you can barely see it)

As a side effect it tightened up the shifter action without making it any firmer/harder.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OM '10 ST3R 009.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	33992  

Old 11-12-12, 17:40   #2824
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyyy View Post
My turn signals with my fender eliminator don't seem to fit with my stock pipes. Anyone have a fender eliminator recommendation that works with undertail pipes the allow me to have rear signals? Or maybe anyone have a stock license plate bracket for cheap?
Go with an integrated tail light and ditch the seperate signals altogether.

Trinity's Build Thread

Old 11-12-12, 17:52   #2825
Scottyyy

Send a message via Skype™ to Scottyyy

I'm not a fan of turn signals integrated in the tail light. I believe it's a lot more difficult for people to notice if your turn signal is on or not. Not to mention, it won't legally pass safety inspection here in VA because the signals have to have 6" between the left and right turn signals.

Old 11-12-12, 18:23   #2826
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyyy View Post
I'm not a fan of turn signals integrated in the tail light. I believe it's a lot more difficult for people to notice if your turn signal is on or not. Not to mention, it won't legally pass safety inspection here in VA because the signals have to have 6" between the left and right turn signals.
I have to be careful here... Kind of like talking to a kid who still believes in Santa Clause... but there is no way anyone will not be able to tell my turn signal is on. You might make a case that they won't be able to tell which direction I'm turning, but at the distance where that would be the case, it wouldn't make a difference for any practical purpose. They'd still know I intend to turn, and as they get closer, they will then clearly see which direction.

As for the six inches between left and right, you can make a case (since the lights in the tail light themselves are over 6" I believe) that since the last LEDs to the left are six inches from the last LEDs on the right, you meet that requirement.

But I'm obviously not going to sway your beliefs and you're probably right about not risking running afoul of VA laws. You don't need that hassle. Guess you'll just have to find some smaller signals than what you've got now.

Trinity's Build Thread

Old 11-12-12, 18:41   #2827
Firstimer1969

nice tail tidy..may I ask which model? Thnaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastybutler View Post
Go with an integrated tail light and ditch the seperate signals altogether.

Old 11-12-12, 19:06   #2828
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstimer1969 View Post
nice tail tidy..may I ask which model? Thnaks
Competition Werkes, painted black.

Trinity's Build Thread

Old 11-12-12, 19:37   #2829
Orangeman
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastybutler View Post
I have to be careful here... Kind of like talking to a kid who still believes in Santa Clause... but there is no way anyone will not be able to tell my turn signal is on. You might make a case that they won't be able to tell which direction I'm turning, but at the distance where that would be the case, it wouldn't make a difference for any practical purpose. They'd still know I intend to turn, and as they get closer, they will then clearly see which direction.

As for the six inches between left and right, you can make a case (since the lights in the tail light themselves are over 6" I believe) that since the last LEDs to the left are six inches from the last LEDs on the right, you meet that requirement.

But I'm obviously not going to sway your beliefs and you're probably right about not risking running afoul of VA laws. You don't need that hassle. Guess you'll just have to find some smaller signals than what you've got now.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I find your opening statement condescending and bad form.

Fact is that the integrated tail light is only DOT legal as far as the brake light in concerned. The Turn signal function does not comply and there are many instances of states that have vehicle inspections for bikes rejecting them. In a state like VA that has tough inspection laws its best not to risk it. Better to not have signals at all because they are not required then to have signals installed that don't comply because if they are there, they must meet inspection requirements.

Virginia Motorcycle Safety Inspection
Rules and Regulations

19VAC30-70-360. Motorcycle lights: headlamp, rear, signal, warning.

"Signal lamps installed on the rear of the motorcycle shall be red or amber and shall be located on each side of the vertical centerline of the motorcycle as far apart as practicable but not closer than nine inches, measured from the optical centerline of the lens, and shall be located on the same level and not less than 20 inches above the ground level. "

Old 11-12-12, 20:12   #2830
Sp00ky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman View Post
I am aggressive with the shifter and also have the quickshifter fitted. I saw the long exposed end of the shifter shaft and the recess for the circlip as a built in weak point or at least a good lever to wear out the bearing/seal in the case so fitted the Sato Racing shifter shaft support the moment they offered it for the 675. Now I know it was good insurance.

(The stock sprocket cover still fits over it and you can barely see it)

As a side effect it tightened up the shifter action without making it any firmer/harder.

Oh yeah ... that is what i'm going to fit as soon as the shifter shaft is replaced.

Apparently the Sato Shift shaft support is a little hard to get though....

The shifter shaft is also unavailable here in AU, so it has to be ordered in from the UK... which means a long wait for it to arrive.

No riding until it's fixed...

S.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement