They Really Are Out to Get Us! - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-09-12, 23:39   #21
Shamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post
The old SIPDE rule has kept me out of trouble for many years.

Eventually it becomes automatic and you develop that 'bikers sixth sense' that really does keep you alive.

SCAN - never let your eyes be still. Scan all around you, all the time. If you see a biker who isn't constantly moving his head, you're looking at a biker who doesn't scan enough.

IDENTIFY - identify potential threats well ahead, behind and beside you. Learn to identify events 'unfolding.'

PREDICT - try to predict the possible outcome...if a car suddenly stops, or pulls out, if that kid playing on the roadside runs out onto the road, if that guy behind keeps coming up as fast as he is...

DECIDE - don't waste time. Make a decision based on your predictions about what you need to do.

EXECUTE - no, don't kill the car drivers gangland style, regardless of how tempting this might be. Execute your decision and get out of harm's way. As sp00ky rightly said, often this means getting ahead and into clear space.

And that's about it. Never assume car drivers will do the right thing. Don't even trust them when you've made eye contact. Assuming the worst will help you live longer.

O.B

Same here buddy. My eyes are ALWAYS scanning, even if there are no cars around. Where I live, even the wildlife don't see you!

I will also add, DO NOT trust intersections. Even if you have a green light,be cautious. Whenever I go through intersections, I look 3 ways, left, right, center, and I slow down, while covering my brakes as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-12, 16:39   #22
Geof3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Same here buddy. My eyes are ALWAYS scanning, even if there are no cars around. Where I live, even the wildlife don't see you!

I will also add, DO NOT trust intersections. Even if you have a green light,be cautious. Whenever I go through intersections, I look 3 ways, left, right, center, and I slow down, while covering my brakes as well.
Ditto...

Old 11-10-12, 16:53   #23
DayBoy

All good stuff.

I also use most of the same theories when I'm driving my car and even in the car some days it seems that they are all just out to get me!

Old 11-10-12, 17:59   #24
MakinBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post
If a car is driving abnormally slow, it means it is about to do something stupid.
This x 1000.

Old 11-12-12, 16:44   #25
Papachristou

Not only to cagers not see you and not care, they will also try to kill you on purpose because they dont like that you are passing them, cutting between cars, lane splitting, hanging off the bike, etc. Ive had cagers swerve into my lane head on because i was flicking the bike back and forth on a straight road warming up the tires, ive been leaned over in a corner and had them do the same thing, or on a two lane curve, had them honk at me or swerve into my lane, they have tried to chase me down, brake check me when they are the ones doing 10mph LESS than the speed limit in the left lane, etc.

GEAR UP!!!!! Head to toe buddy. Shit isnt cheap but your co-pay from the hospital bills will cover your gear the first trip.
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Old 11-14-12, 22:36   #26
OTVALI

I second the reflective vest comment - especially at night. Looks stupid but saves your life because you light up like a cop car.

I recently got into an accident at an intersection and learned one very, very, very important thing:

GREEN LIGHT DOES NOT MEAN GO!!!!!

look for ****tards who decide to run the red before accelerating away from the intersection... this WILL save your life, as a bike's acceleration will ensure that you are the first thing in that intersection and the first thing that car will hit.

Finally, use your horn - it's helped me out more than once :) that is, before I got the arrow, now I just rev (and honk).

Old 11-15-12, 10:53   #27
Papachristou

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTVALI View Post
a bike's acceleration will ensure that you are the first thing in that intersection and the first thing that car will hit.
unless im feeling froggy, i try to proceed through with a car next to me. ill speed up or slow down to go through with a car instead of alone.
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Old 11-15-12, 11:58   #28
elshawno

Like everyone says be aware. you have to constantly think ok if this car does this i'm gonna do this and so on... Always having an escape plan. People don't see you even when they are looking at you they don't realize your there or how fast your going. 90% of people driving cannot judge traffic flow or speed so be prepared to be cut off. Look for signs of drivers moving yes cars have blinkers but that doesn't mean they use them. If a car is close to a center line they are probably changing lanes. Whenever someone comes close to killing you they will always act like its your fault and be mad at you for that. Don't stick around in the same place too long unless your in a big empty section of traffic. Make a bubble around yourself and if someone enters that bubble go make a new one. There are alot of a-holes that will try to mess with you or even intentionally try to hit you but just remember your on the fastest thing on the road jut twist and go. Always have your bright lights on and even get HID's. when you come to a stop especially at night watch your back. Drivers can confuse your one tail light with that of the car in front of you. If you dont go to the front on the lane at a stop modulate your brakes so drivers coming up on you can see your light flashing and see you a little better. Don't trust other riders they might not be as skilled as you or you as skilled as them ride at your own pace. Dont think because its raining drivers will be sympathetic. It seems to me they are worse in the rain. Coming from a state where lane splitting is legal they drive closer together in the rain and do not want to let you pass. they dont care that your wet and cold while they are dry and warm. Ive been next to peoples windows honking and they wont look at you or move over to let you through. Remember you have less grip and need more braking time in the rain also.

I raced my car a little before I started riding a motorcycle and picked up a lot of ques from that but its a whole other world on a bike. throttle, handling, braking, ... its all different. you have to be even more alert. I think its made me a better driver. I also came from riding years of amature park and street bmx. It gave me a very good sense of balance, braking, and handling. If you dont believe me go carve a swimming pool or halfpipe, or flow an entire park and tell me how different it is. This experience has saved me with balance and handling in emergency situations. I've learned how to adjust my weight when losing traction or even locking up the rear. How to avoid target fixation and have good instincts. But all i can say for all this is practice and I mean good practice, try to avoid bad habbits and learn from someone who knows what they are doing. There's always something new to learn I know I still have a great deal to learn.

Old 11-15-12, 12:08   #29
DaarkSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00ky View Post
Here are the best tips I can give you after 50 years of motorcycle riding ....

1: You are invisible. Car, truck, bus, tram and all other drivers can't see you.

2: Don't ride your bike like you drive a car. Use the bike to cut through traffic to get to the front, then go!

3: Aggressive-defensive riding is your best chance of survival. Be forceful, but courteous.

4: Never relax. You need to be 100% awake in traffic. Be aware of what is around you.

5: Ride like every one else is trying to kill you!

6: Get a good set of rear view mirrors so you can see behind you easily.

7: Look ahead. See the gaps. Be smooth, not erratic. Use your indicators. Don't let the cage drivers dictate the terms, slip through them like an eel and get clear road.

Hopefully, you will survive to be a grumpy old bastard bike rider like me...

S.
I will say that riding in Las Vegas, though sounds easy, is one of the worst places int he country to ride. I am constantly using SPIDE and Agressive / Defensive techniques. I also use the bikes power to get away from merging traffic as fast and as safely as I can.

All I can add to this great thread is that never take ANYTHING for granetd! Even the turn into your driveway at the end of a ride.

I am the bamboo, no matter how the wind blows.....I will not break

Old 11-15-12, 12:35   #30
NakedSaturday

If cell phone jammers weren't illegal, they would be a motorcyclists friend, helping to minimize the distractions faced by those we are forced to share the road with.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement