Forks pre-load problems - Page 6 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > Modifications > All Things Suspension

Old 11-12-12, 16:09   #51
kmo

Take out some compression damping to let the suspension move through more of the stroke. But not so much that the bike dives when your hard on the brakes

Spring may be stiff in the front. I'm no expert though just an idea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-12, 22:56   #52
Dave73

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo View Post
What are the causes of stiction? What did you do to limit yours?
Many things cause stiction: the bushings against the tubes, the piston against the cartridge wall, the damper rod going in the fork cap, the fork seals, and a biggie that is often overlooked (and easily preventable) is fork/triple/ axle alignment.

I reduced mine with some polishing, grease on the dust seal, and careful attention to fork and axle assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikke View Post
well, just did another trackday after lastest fork service, and im getting only 25mm Sag and it bottom out 30~35mm above axle casting...
My numbers didn't coincide with the often parroted Dave Moss spec of 17mm. I have a post in this forum somewhere where I measured the mechanical bottom out with the fork disassembled.

First make sure the suspension has all its movement, then you may want to consider reducing air gap to prevent bottoming. I had to go from 120 to 110 on mine after disabling the hydraulic bottom out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo View Post
Take out some compression damping to let the suspension move through more of the stroke. But not so much that the bike dives when your hard on the brakes

Spring may be stiff in the front. I'm no expert though just an idea
If you take out compression damping it will dive and bottom out more.

Old 05-06-13, 05:58   #53
Smeghead76

So I have found a similar problem with my 06 Daytona.
I had the forks serviced about 12 months ago. Lately I have been pushing a lot header and finding the front very hard and nervous.
So with the help of a friend I se about checking my suspension settings and the max I can get in the forks is 19mm.
We checked and re-checked and 19mm is it. As far as I know the springs are stock!
I am wandering if its a spring issue an oil issue or maybe some binding, although fork movement seems free and fluid.

Old 05-06-13, 06:00   #54
sittingturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead76 View Post
So I have found a similar problem with my 06 Daytona.
I had the forks serviced about 12 months ago. Lately I have been pushing a lot header and finding the front very hard and nervous.
So with the help of a friend I se about checking my suspension settings and the max I can get in the forks is 19mm.
We checked and re-checked and 19mm is it. As far as I know the springs are stock!
I am wandering if its a spring issue an oil issue or maybe some binding, although fork movement seems free and fluid.
How many mils of stiction do you have?

Old 05-06-13, 06:08   #55
Smeghead76

Stiction was 5-6 mm.
And I should mention I am currently 83kg or 182lb with out gear

Old 05-06-13, 11:33   #56
MacBandit

Oil level could be too high.

Old 05-06-13, 18:15   #57
Dave73

That would be a lot of oil to lock the fork at 19mm.... I would think oil would be puking out of the seals like crazy.

5-6mm stiction is pretty good for stock forks.

Whats the free (bike) sag? Is this a new problem or has it been there since the forks were serviced?

Old 05-06-13, 19:44   #58
Smeghead76

To be perfectly honest I can't remember what the free sag was. I would have to remeasure.
I have been very lazy since the forks were serviced and this is the first time I have actually gone through and done a full setup. They have always felt very stiff though.

Old 05-07-13, 00:35   #59
MacBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave73 View Post
That would be a lot of oil to lock the fork at 19mm.... I would think oil would be puking out of the seals like crazy.

5-6mm stiction is pretty good for stock forks.

Whats the free (bike) sag? Is this a new problem or has it been there since the forks were serviced?
Maybe but it wouldn't take too much extra oil to reduce rider sag.

Old 05-09-13, 13:32   #60
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

Smeghead76, you may have missed my earlier comments about the standard springs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Racing View Post
As I mentioned before the standard springs were far too hard even for track work. I weigh 182lbs. The forks also left at least an inch of unused travel before being worked on.

Darren at MC Technics is a top suspension guy and has worked on my GSXR1000 race bike, ZRX1200R road bike, 675 Track bike and recently my Daytona Street below. On each bike he has worked magic and made them far better handling. Trust me, he knows his stuff. So when he says that every Daytona he has worked on has too hard fork springs as standard then I believe him.

This was backed up by my lack of faith in the front end when braking hard on the track. I needed to brake harder, but the fact that the front end felt solid was preventing me from doing so. Now with the .95 springs in it is transformed and I can also trail brake into the corners. He also remove a fair amount of fork oil too as there was no air gap.

As he has found a lot of overly hard springs in Daytonas I would suggest you get to a reputable suspension expert and get them tested as it would appear that the early Daytonas may have suffered from differing spring rates, possibly due to bad quality control.

Whatever the reason, a suspension expert is your best bet, because if you have no confidence in the set up then it is not right for YOU and it needs changing. This is why there is never a perfect suspension set up for a bike, only a perfect suspension set up for the rider, as we all have different views as to what is ideal.

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement