exposing a firearm - Page 5 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Off Topic > LEO

LEO Law Enforcement Officers - Q & A

Old 01-16-12, 21:46   #41
Joker675

First, I would like to say I exercise my second amendment rights daily and have been for quite a while now. I carry a firearm everywhere I can legally with a CCW. Forgive me if at times I rub off a bit bias. I'll try and stick to common sense and logic.

Concerning the original topic of this post -

In situations such as that one, its difficult for average armed citizens to process a threat quickly, and efficiently. We'd like to believe that we would be calm, collective and cool if we found ourselves in an escalating / threatening situation. In reality, we usually end up being the opposite. When someone's demeanor becomes threatening, we instantly lock up and defend. Its human nature to react in this way. I don't agree with this guys actions to draw a firearm. Based on the very little facts in that story, he was NOT justified in drawing a firearm. Only a select few states allow "defensive display" (AZ being one of them). However, this is a very, VERY strict way of warning someone you are armed and will defend yourself if the situation deteriorates any further.

Simply put, it says you have the right to "expose" your firearm and rest your hand on the grip in a "defensive" stance. This does NOT include removing the weapon from its holster. This reaction, however, is only warranted when there is real threat to you. Obviously "threat" can be perceived in many ways by everyone, but when it ends up in court... this guy better have had a deadly weapon.. and he better have threatened to use it against you. On your end, if the weapon comes out of the holster, there should only be milliseconds in between the draw and the discharges. Otherwise it leaves too many variables on the table that can work against you.

A guy following you, yelling at you... screaming, throwing his hands up and giving you the finger may be "threatening" but is he a "deadly" threat? No, not at all. He's probably a pissed off neighbor that finally snapped and couldn't take it anymore. He lost his cool and confronted the bike owner all wrong. Still, presenting a firearm to THAT situation is wrong. Both guys handled that confrontation wrong.

My .02

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-12, 14:49   #42
Papachristou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker675 View Post
A guy following you, yelling at you... screaming, throwing his hands up and giving you the finger may be "threatening" but is he a "deadly" threat? No, not at all. He's probably a pissed off neighbor that finally snapped and couldn't take it anymore. He lost his cool and confronted the bike owner all wrong. Still, presenting a firearm to THAT situation is wrong. Both guys handled that confrontation wrong.

My .02
a voice of reason. i like it
6000k HIDs - LED Markers - TechSpec Snakeskins

GB Racing Stator Cover(slight scuff) $50-retail is $70!

price INCLUDES shipping, PM Me!

Old 01-18-12, 04:22   #43
dmroberson

Send a message via Skype™ to dmroberson

In NC, where I'm from, the person could be charged with

Going Armed To The Terror Of The People

Quote:
By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself/herself with any unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The

N.C. Supreme Court states that any gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore, persons are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.

Old 11-08-12, 01:47   #44
pyroking339

In Michigan, it's not illegal unless the gun is pointed at an individual.

Old 11-08-12, 17:03   #45
old blue

From a recent post by SeeNoEvo;

4. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can't sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you're not ready to shoot grouse.

----------------------

5. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. Although a permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

I think this should pretty much get it sorted.

O.B

Old 11-11-12, 10:27   #46
DecepticonDon
BOTM Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by old blue View Post
From a recent post by SeeNoEvo;

4. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers, or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you can't sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you're not ready to shoot grouse.

----------------------

5. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more dangerous than a vegetable peeler. Although a permit will be required if you wish to carry a vegetable peeler in public.

I think this should pretty much get it sorted.

O.B
Except for the better than 10:1 ratio of Defensive uses of firearms to crimes committed with firearms.

Old 01-13-13, 00:11   #47
purpletriumph

If the guy was on his land then why not scare him away

Old 01-22-13, 09:51   #48
pyroking339

Default Re: exposing a firearm

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpletriumph View Post
If the guy was on his land then why not scare him away

You shouldn't escalate the situation by pulling a weapon (knife, gun, whatever) unless you have full intention of using it to kill them. There are other ways to handle the problem.

Old 01-22-13, 11:18   #49
DaytonaSpidey

Default exposing a firearm

The question of legality seems moot to me, if I feel threatened enough to pull my weapon it will for sure be releasing thunder...I didnt read the story but its up to the person in the situation to judge the level of the threat to them, if you can't do this in a responsible manner then you may find yourself in some trouble, for instance if a person pulls a gun without the intention of firing it at the perceived threat you are instantly putting someone else in immediate life threating danger without question (its conceal and carry) meaning you don't know who is and isn't, why take that chance....doesnt make sense to me

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 01-24-13, 16:26   #50
OKStriple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papachristou View Post
All i was saying, is that in certain situations that i believe more risky, i switch to open carry by moving my shirt/jacket up over it. Places like a parking garage or if walking down some of the narrower roads downtown with my girlfriend. .....
Papa - you live in Memphis. That qualifies about every place but Germantown as a risky situation. ( I used to live in Memphis a long long time ago and did some traveling there for business a lot a couple years ago)

All I care about is my Street Triple and like, maybe 3 or 4 people

Sponsored Links
Advertisement