Lane splitting legal in Australia? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Regional forums > Australia and Asia-Pacific

Australia and Asia-Pacific AAP Regional forum; rides, get togethers, events

Old 10-18-12, 13:01   #1
Slowpoke675

Default Lane splitting legal in Australia?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/b...-1226498718520

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-12, 14:42   #2
Smoke

With great responsibility should come great power

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Old 10-18-12, 19:02   #3
allaussiegrown

Lane splitting will not be allowed.

The motorcycle council of NSW has worked with the RTA and the Sydney Council to start a trial within the city to Lane FILTER. This is to monitor the effectiveness of traffic congestion vs safety.

It is a great step forward but no doubt car drivers are going to be against it because their cage restricts their mental capacity to calculate that their overall travel time will decrease due to motorcycles agility.

'11 675R
Werkes Slip On Pipe + STD Fender Elim + Intergrated Tailight - ZG Double Bubble DS - Dual HID Headlights and Angel Eyes with Coloured Headlight Housing - Red Seat Cowl - LED Strip Indicators - 1050 Throttle Tube -
Attack Reasrsets (Red Pegs) - Powdercoated wheels and Sidestand - GB protection Kit - CRG Levers folding - Saddlemen CF Track Seat - Watsens

Old 10-19-12, 01:33   #4
CrazyCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaussiegrown View Post

It is a great step forward but no doubt car drivers are going to be against it because their cage restricts their mental capacity to calculate that their overall travel time will decrease due to motorcycles agility.
That's the big trouble!

Not the motorbike riders, although some of them can push their luck a bit, but the dopey aggressive car drivers.

Most parts of Europe the car drivers are smart enough to handle motorbikes and scooters have certain designed in advantages, including being able to squeeze between stopped cars.

But here in Oz..... no chance. :(

regards,CrazyCam

Old 10-19-12, 03:14   #5
Tripod

It's a start...why that zone and not out to Pyrmont/Surrey Hills/Nth Syd etc...or indeed all of NSW. Yesterday I filtered/split in front of a bikecop down Market St and not only could he tell I've done this stuff before responsibly, a couple of cars made way to the left for me to get thru (with a big thanks from me) and he (the cop) didn't mind getting left behind.
There's a way of doing it safely...I'm a little worried that if the practice is made overtly legal we'll get those douchebags on scooters screaming b/w lanes with their barely clad gfs on the back about to become clay pidgeons/skin graft studies

Old 10-19-12, 16:08   #6
Sp00ky

...Sigh.... It would have been nice to get the trial period covering all of NSW or even Australia..

Still, it's a start, maybe the thin edge of the wedge for Oz riders. I hope so.

If it works out well, we could even see some sense from the powers-that-be about other motorcycling in general.

Lately, after years of lane splitting and filtering through traffic, i've noticed that the growing number of Asian drivers here in Australia, especially the young girls, become absolutely brain dead when you put them in a car.

Then when you try filtering past them in grid-locked traffic they get a surprise to see a motorcycle rider beside their shiny new car trying to squeeze past to get to the front of the long queue of stopped vehicles.

It's like ... Wha!!?? where did he come from? Oohh watch out! Don't scratch my car while i'm chatting to my girlfriends on my phone with my car stereo blaring while i'm doing my nails.

Honestly...it's like they leave their brain behind once they get behind the wheel.

Hmmm, after reading what I just typed, I realised that they are not so different from most other cage drivers.

Anyways, I hope that the area of "legal" filtering is extended to cover all of Australia in the near future.

Either way, it won't stop me from doing it.

S.

Old 10-19-12, 18:52   #7
CrazyCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
There's a way of doing it safely...I'm a little worried that if the practice is made overtly legal we'll get those douchebags on scooters screaming b/w lanes with their barely clad gfs on the back about to become clay pidgeons/skin graft studies
I am afraid that I share your worry, Tripod.

In about 30 years of commuting into Sydney for work, I did vast amounts of filtering....gently, between stopped cars.

I never got a ticket for it.

I hesitate to say this, but I suspect that the cops tend to be fairly selective about who they book for lane splitting, except when they are specifically tasked to have a blitz on it.

I got warned once, by a bike cop on Victoria Road, that the next Monday there was going to be a blitz on, and to watch out!

regards,CrazyCam

Old 11-09-12, 19:32   #8
Rhys12

Yeah im not so sure about cops being keen on it.
I've been filtering on my comute into sydney for ages now and the last few years theres been more and more cops booking people for it. i've seen it a dozen times.
I know its slightly different but moore park rd, there is a bicycle lane on the left between parked cars and the 2 lanes of heavily banked up traffic 4 out of 5 morning a week. at least once a week theres a cop sitting there waiting to book people riding in the cycle lane or lane filtering in between the 2 lanes of stopped cars. ive had so many close calls of being booked there it kills me.

Hope they make it legal asap.
-Rhys

Old 11-09-12, 20:35   #9
MadMel

They book you in Brisbane, and even set up traps for it. Indooroopilly just uphill of the police station is a favourite spot for them to set up, because you can't see them as you come over the hill. I've been pinched there. They also set up regularly coming down the hill from Chapel Hill, because traffic is backed up for 500m and again you can't see them until you come around the corner. There they bust you for taking the shoulder (guilty and apprehended) or splitting lanes. I've seen 5 bikes pulled over there at the same time.

Old 11-09-12, 21:19   #10
Goldy

I do it all the time in hear in S.Aus and never had any problem from police and have seen them do it also.
Comes down to common sense I will only lane split when I get to a fresh set of red lights and there is enough space and time to get to the front of the que , Ive had a few cars tail gate so I couldn't get in front of them into the left or right lane that's a precious 2 second of there life they will never get back the horror , I think its frowned upon here in SA but not in forced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement