They Really Are Out to Get Us! - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-08-12, 18:37   #11
noclue90

Most productive thread in a while.

Anticipation is key. Practice makes better, never perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-12, 00:36   #12
ICanHazCheetos

Thanks for all of the comments. It really means a lot! I have already put some of this to use. I had a guy almost pull out in front of me today and I had an old lady almost hit me at a stop sign. Glad I read some of these tips before the ride or i probably would not have gotten out of her way in time...

Old 11-09-12, 00:59   #13
Geof3

PRACTICE emergency braking... A lot! Do it at speeds you will be riding, whether its 25 mph or 100 mph. Learn what it feels like to get the front end to bite hard and have the rear squirm a little. Learn how to do it without doing a full on stoppie... This requires learning what your rear brake can do for you in this situation. Also, make sure your rear brake can't lock up, there are many ways to do this, and the triumph rear is actually pretty good for not locking. This one skill can save your life one day.

Also, never tailgate anyone, anytime. Like others have said ride in the open, make your own space and stay out of blind spots. If you can't see their face/eyes in the rear view, they sure as hell can't see you.

Old 11-09-12, 01:54   #14
Hammie

+1 to getting in front and being aggressive defensive rider. Also, always act like every car at an intersection is going to turn into you. Be ready for them to turn out.

Old 11-09-12, 09:25   #15
OKStriple

Also- Check the riding skills forum for more threads like this.
Have you taken the MSF course? It should be mandatory for new riders - it will get you thinking about traffic more.
What about other safety classes? Some local law enforcement and highway Patrol Motorcycle Cops offer free classes near me - that focus on rider skill and dealing with traffic issues. Their main objective is to keep you alive so it's focused toward what to do in street situations.

Just yesterday, commuting to work, a cager changed lanes into me on the way to work, and one changed lanes into me on the way back. Neither one raised my heart rate as I caught it unfolding as soon as it started and had allowed myself plenty room for escape.

Always have an escape plan. IE: If that car coming at me turns left in front of me, what are my options? If the cars ahead of me brake suddenly and the one behind me doesn't brake in time, which way is my exit route around the car in front of me?

Old 11-09-12, 09:25   #16
apbt4life

i want to clarify something for you that almost everyone wrote and that is to ride like like every one is out to get you. Now that doesnt translate to ride paranoid cause every one else is out to get you, but to ride 100%aware,alert, and defensive. If you do this you will be ok. Like mentioned above i dont like to be surounded by cars for that reason im either in the front or back away from the cars. Good luck.

Old 11-09-12, 09:30   #17
OKStriple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
PRACTICE emergency braking... A lot! Do it at speeds you will be riding, whether its 25 mph or 100 mph. Learn what it feels like to get the front end to bite hard and have the rear squirm a little. Learn how to do it without doing a full on stoppie... ......

Also, never tailgate anyone, anytime. Like others have said ride in the open, make your own space and stay out of blind spots. If you can't see their face/eyes in the rear view, they sure as hell can't see you.
Good advice. AND Read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. Work through the practice drills listed in the book which includes emergency stops.

Old 11-09-12, 09:37   #18
675R_Daytona

Get HIS VIS gear!

Retro-reflective material is awesome!!!!

Your bike has a loud color, but you need be loud as well.

Once I bought my Reflective vest, people have noticed me a little bit more.

GREAT THREAD!!!!

Joe

MODS: Arrow Slip-On, GB Racing Protection Bundle, Orbital Tank Pad, Tech Spec Tank Grips, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen

GEAR: ICON Airframe Helmet, ICON ARC Leather/Textile Jacket, ICON Super Duty 3 Boots, Dianese Reflective Vest, Cortech Latigo RR Gaunlet Gloves, Triumph Adventure Overpants, Ogio No Drag Mach 5, Cortech Tank Bag, Triumph Sport Saddle Bags

Old 11-09-12, 16:25   #19
Karl

They haven’t seen you, eye contact means nothing.
Those who have seen you don’t care and will pull out/across/over anyway…
The “motorcycles are dangerous” expression has done much to harm us; any accident is now our fault because they are dangerous and we should know better.
This is obvious bullshit but this is the attitude too many people (some cops for instance) have.

If in doubt back off, ether in traffic or in the hills if you’re not absolutely sure losing 10-20kph can be the difference between saying “that was close” and hearing “help is on the way”

With the new “safety” crap being built into cars they now have thicker pillars to house airbags… and hide motorcycles. Car safety is for them, not us.
Use your mirrors and indicators… Someone has to and they won’t.
After looking in your mirror look over your shoulder, it’ll save your life.
Good gear for commuting and great gear for racing your shadow in the twistys!

Watch for those mummy busses, people carriers, whatever you want to call them… They are piloted by mothers who have 18 screaming kids to herd and not enough sleep. They wouldn’t see you if you rode past stark naked doing a handstand with a roman candle shooting out of your arse.

Truck drivers I find are some of the better drivers out there, bus and taxi drivers are some of the worst. In saying that, it’s bloody hard to see much out of a truck and they take a lot to stop so give them plenty of space.
I have a deep hatred of taxi drivers that would take years of therapy and lithium to soften.

HiVis vests, white helmets and your lights on during the day may work, but chances are that those who wear them are safer riders anyway and statistically it may make little difference. The lights on thing is a moot point as they stay on regardless.

Ride and ride often, ride in the rain and in the wind, ride on stinking hot days and at night. The more you ride the better you get at it.
And training days are always a good idea… I should do another one too.

And to finish, park in obvious, well lit and inconvenient (to others) places. We have beautiful machines and like fine art they should be appreciated by the masses.
It’ll also stop them being parked on or nicked.

Old 11-09-12, 18:48   #20
MadMel

Space is your friend.

Ride with that goal, and much of the other stuff becomes irrelevant, much of the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement