Tiger 800 vs Tiger 1200 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Polls 675/motorcycle polls

View Poll Results: 800 or 1200?
800 33 84.62%
1200 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 10-31-12, 20:23 Thread Starter
Rink675
Senior Member
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tiger 800 vs Tiger 1200

Which one would you rather have and why? I want to get a commuting/ fun bike and I am torn between the 800 and 1200.



2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Rink675 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old 10-31-12, 20:26
Knolly
BOTM Winner
 
Knolly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,902
Thanks: 15
Thanked 44 Times in 37 Posts
I've only rode the 800 but from every review of the Explorer, the general opinion seems to be that the Tiger 800 is such a fantastic bike that the Explorer is really an answer to a question no one asked.

2013 Street Triple
2009 Ninja 250 Track/Race Bike
2009 Triumph Daytona 675 - Sold - My Self-Indulgent Bike Thread
2008 Street Triple - Sold
Knolly is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old 10-31-12, 20:54
dabird
Senior Member
 
dabird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: columbia, ms.
Posts: 810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to dabird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rink675 View Post
Which one would you rather have and why? I want to get a commuting/ fun bike and I am torn between the 800 and 1200.
They are both great bikes. I plan on getting the 800 in the future. I tried them both, and found the 1200 explorer to be way too tall. I'm 6' and could barley touch my tip toes to the ground. also my wife claimed she felt she was sitting to high up on the passenger seat. In the smaller tigers. There is the 800, and the 800xc. again I found the xc to be a little tall. and really are you going to to be riding off road? I found the 800 to be just right. Plenty of power, handles great, and was comfortable. Try them all and pick the one that suits you. Me, I don't feel secure if I can't flat foot.
dabird is offline  
post #4 of 38 Old 11-01-12, 00:35
MacBandit
Senior Member
 
MacBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10,382
Thanks: 2
Thanked 153 Times in 138 Posts
Garage
If you want a commuting and all around fun bike the 800 would be the answer. If you want a mile pounder touring machine that can go down gravel roads then the 1200 is the machine. One is a touring bike that can do gravel the other is a sort of long travel standard/do everything. Personally however if you are use to a 675 the 800 feels slow.
MacBandit is offline  
post #5 of 38 Old 11-01-12, 03:05 Thread Starter
Rink675
Senior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabird View Post
They are both great bikes. I plan on getting the 800 in the future. I tried them both, and found the 1200 explorer to be way too tall. I'm 6' and could barley touch my tip toes to the ground. also my wife claimed she felt she was sitting to high up on the passenger seat. In the smaller tigers. There is the 800, and the 800xc. again I found the xc to be a little tall. and really are you going to to be riding off road? I found the 800 to be just right. Plenty of power, handles great, and was comfortable. Try them all and pick the one that suits you. Me, I don't feel secure if I can't flat foot.

I figured the 1200 was tall but I didn't think it was that tall! I will have to get the 800 then because I am fine with all sportbikes but getting higher then that would start to bring issues.

Yea I would do tons of off road riding, there are so many trails that run from state to state that ATV's, dirtbikes and ect use so it would be fun to be able to go off road and not have to bring a trailer and drive to a place just to ride.

I just wish you could find them used because I could get myself one mean race bike for the cost of a brand new 800 lol.



2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Rink675 is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old 11-01-12, 10:41
eldridge216
Member
 
eldridge216's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: greensboro nc
Posts: 219
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
800 XC model for me....... spoked wheels, little more beefy supspension, and slightly more off road oriented.

my avatar describes how i feel when im on my daytona

pin to win
eldridge216 is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old 11-05-12, 14:57
firestarter
Super Moderator
 
firestarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: devon, UK
Posts: 1,206
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
having bought a tiger 800 in march last year thinking it would be a great ride boy was i mistaken it got sold earlier this year because 94hp and 210kilos of bike make for a slugish bike that only had at best avarage gas milage. i traded it in for a 2008 speed triple with arrows that returns better economy than the tiger ever did and puts a big smile on my face every time i ride it where as the tiger was just a bike all be it a triumph

2011 tiger 800 road
2007 street triple RIP




firestarter is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old 11-05-12, 22:01 Thread Starter
Rink675
Senior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
having bought a tiger 800 in march last year thinking it would be a great ride boy was i mistaken it got sold earlier this year because 94hp and 210kilos of bike make for a slugish bike that only had at best avarage gas milage. i traded it in for a 2008 speed triple with arrows that returns better economy than the tiger ever did and puts a big smile on my face every time i ride it where as the tiger was just a bike all be it a triumph

Did you ever take it off road?



2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Rink675 is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old 11-06-12, 00:34
MacBandit
Senior Member
 
MacBandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 10,382
Thanks: 2
Thanked 153 Times in 138 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
having bought a tiger 800 in march last year thinking it would be a great ride boy was i mistaken it got sold earlier this year because 94hp and 210kilos of bike make for a slugish bike that only had at best avarage gas milage. i traded it in for a 2008 speed triple with arrows that returns better economy than the tiger ever did and puts a big smile on my face every time i ride it where as the tiger was just a bike all be it a triumph
That's pretty much my impression of the 800 as well. Also as for fuel mileage for comparison the Tiger 1050 can get high 50s for fuel mileage and the as you know the 800 is lucky to get in the high 40s.
MacBandit is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old 11-06-12, 09:07 Thread Starter
Rink675
Senior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
Rink675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
That's pretty much my impression of the 800 as well. Also as for fuel mileage for comparison the Tiger 1050 can get high 50s for fuel mileage and the as you know the 800 is lucky to get in the high 40s.

Such disappointing news, how much off road riding did you do?



2007 Triumph 675 Race Bike
Rink675 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome