same striple riding position with clipons as daytona? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > General 675 discussion

General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

Old 11-04-12, 15:50   #1
zyhano

Default same striple riding position with clipons as daytona?

So I want to put clipons on my street triple which will convert it to a cafe racer style bike.

In my case, I want to do it because of the track days I'm doing and will be doing next year.

I'd like to have the daytona's riding position so that at least I know I'm able to achieve the 'racing position' you can have on a proper race bike and take my technique to a better level. I'm not comfortable getting low on the bike while hanging. I feel like the bars are too high and my chin is gonna touch the bars (while I probably have loads of space left :)) I'm pretty tall too about 1.97 and can rest my chin on the bar while tucked in.
Right now, I'm just too far back on the seat, not enough over the front wheel etc.

zolder 2012

I don't mind not having fairings or in general, not having a daytona. I don't want to allocate funds (yet) for a dedicated track bike and my street triple is my daily commuter, put 32K kilomters on it in 11 months.

So, will clipons do all that for me and would it be worth it for track days and developing track technique in general?

thanks for any input, including input on riding position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 AQ-1394-397.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	33874   Click image for larger version

Name:	8747_808467.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	33875   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor_2.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	33876  

Last edited by zyhano; 08-29-13 at 15:19.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-12, 21:37   #2
carnage.inc

I've got a set of apex adjustable riser clipons i'll sell you. I believe they adjust three inches up. The clipons should give you a similar position no matter what clipons you put on. The rear subframe sits at a little different angle though.

Old 11-06-12, 01:49   #3
Csorin

Lookin good man! Embrace the dirt bars:). I was having the same conflict as you after my first track day. Was blaming my stupid tall, wide handlebars for my body position shortcomings. Well, it's all in your head. You can get low and stretch out on these bikes.

The thing that helped the most at the last ridesmart event was the instruction to reposition your inside hand. While setting up for the turn and getting into position, grab that inside bar like you would a screwdriver. In other words, rotate your palm so that your wrist is relaxed and not kinked. This will vastly improve comfort when you lean off.

Another thing you can do is push your outside shoulder forward. This will keep your shoulders in line while you get LOW. Jam your face into where a set of bar end mirrors would be and get ready to rock.

When the position clicked in the last couple of sessions I found a new level of performance from myself and the bike.

Try that screwdriver hold. The throttle control you get in right hand turns is sublime.

I'll try to post some pics once I purchase them.

Old 11-06-12, 09:28   #4
tm850r

To answer the question, clipons and rearsets would be rather close to the ergos of the daytona. The seat is different but its not worth the money to change out the rear subframe and deal with relocating stuff.

I agree with the others as well that you can push the Striple just about as far as the Daytona without changing a thing. Watch some of the videos from the Street Triple Cup or whatever it was a couple years ago. Those guys were really killing it on the Striples with minimal work done. Still dirt bars and just a set of rearsets for the ergos. They play with the performance a little with exhaust and tune but I dont see them touching the motor much for a single make racing league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zWqO...feature=relmfu

That gives you a good idea of what they have on board. Sorry for the German but you should be able to tell whats going on by the video. Plus there are plenty of related videos of people tearing up the track on a Striple.

Tony - 2010 Street Triple R

Old 11-06-12, 15:45   #5
zyhano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csorin View Post
Lookin good man! ...

Another thing you can do is push your outside shoulder forward. This will keep your shoulders in line while you get LOW...

Try that screwdriver hold. The throttle control you get in right hand turns is sublime...
thanks for the feedback, good to know I'm not the only one with the handlebar issue :)
shoulders, will work on that, on the todo list
screwdriver hold, ok, will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm850r View Post
To answer the question, clipons and rearsets would be rather close to the ergos of the daytona. The seat is different but its not worth the money to change out the rear subframe and deal with relocating stuff.

I agree with the others as well that you can push the Striple just about as far as the Daytona without changing a thing....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zWqO...feature=relmfu

That gives you a good idea of what they have on board. Sorry for the German but you should be able to tell whats going on by the video. Plus there are plenty of related videos of people tearing up the track on a Striple.
thanks for the answer. I believe I can do a lot more on the striple, but I do have problems with the high position of the bars.
As you can see on the video, those guys suffer from the same problems in body positioning on the striple that might be related to the handlebars:
wide outer arm way above the tank, strained wrists from awkward position with handlebar too high, pretty upright position on the corners, far back on the seat and offloading the front tyre.

Old 11-07-12, 10:55   #6
FRide5385

The one thing clip ons and rear sets will not offer you is the seating position. One of the real challenges to getting low on the bike on a striple is that you cannot push your but back in the seat. As you move your but back away from the tank, it becomes much more natural to lay your torso flat over the tank. There is a reason sport bikes have the bench style seat, despite it being less comfortable and offering less support. I have clip one and woodcraft rearsets on my striple, and I find getting good BP on my friend's daytona much easier for this very reason.

Old 11-07-12, 14:18   #7
Sp00ky

I don't have any problems getting low on my streety.

I'm using Apex adjustable clipons turned upside down and SVRacing rearsets currently, it all works very well for me.

The clipons are actually lower than a Daytona.

S.

Old 11-07-12, 14:31   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRide5385 View Post
The one thing clip ons and rear sets will not offer you is the seating position. One of the real challenges to getting low on the bike on a striple is that you cannot push your but back in the seat. As you move your but back away from the tank, it becomes much more natural to lay your torso flat over the tank. There is a reason sport bikes have the bench style seat, despite it being less comfortable and offering less support. I have clip one and woodcraft rearsets on my striple, and I find getting good BP on my friend's daytona much easier for this very reason.
I'd agree a lot with this. I've had the chance this summer/fall to ride the D675 several times in the same trip with my Striple - mentally comparing the riding position differences and the subsequent effect on my riding. Getting low/forward on the Striple just does not come very easy without really feeling awkward, to me. Those guys that can drag a knee while riding the Striple (with handlebars) are bad-ass.

Old 11-12-12, 15:12   #9
zyhano

thanks for all the answers guys. im gonna put some clipons on at the end of the winter so i can enjoy them in the new season

Sent from my Motorcycle idevice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement