Yamaha Crossplane Triple - Page 8 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports

News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports any and all 675 ride experiences and news

Old 10-09-12, 07:41   #71
TRMN8TR

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I just read through all this, and had to add...proof that the term "Crossplane" is just a marketing term Yamaha is using:

Quote:
When asked what is the “crossplane concept”, Senior Executive Motorcycle Business Operations, Kunihiko Miwa responded, “It is the philosophy where “crossplane” means the kind of torque character that gives riders the exact torque they want when they need it”.
So in Yamaha's eyes, a 120* triple can still be a crossplane engine because it delivers the torque we want, when we need it. It has nothing to do with "crank lobes" or "crank journals" or whatever you might call them in this 3 cylinder engine. Do you think the average rider has a clue what you guys are arguing about? Nope. They'll just hear "crossplane" and think "Wow, thats what the R1 has too and I hear its sweet! I better get me one of these crossplane R6/Rwhatever triples!"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-12, 09:34   #72
h077504

it is possible the crank pins will be one pair at 180 degrees and the other one at 0 degrees?
the firing degrees and the order wil be piston 1, 360 then 2, 180 then piston 3, 180 and Piston 1 again. cus total firing degrees must be 720.
i think 2 pistons 180 out and one 120 doesn't make sense.
firing order of piston 1, 180 then 2, 120 then piston 3, 60 and Piston 1 again can't let piston done all 4 stroke.
for the 180-180-180 crank I'm thinking that would require one counter balancer to balance the piston at 0.

Old 10-18-12, 20:38   #73
Blinker

You guys should get out more. Or at least around!

http://ashonbikes.com/content/yamaha...-plane-concept

Be sure to click the forum link at the bottom of the article.

I'm thinking this very likely IS the next R6 motor.

Old 10-18-12, 22:58   #74
pyroking339

As I understood it when it came out, the crossplane R1 crank design was intended to smooth the inertia of the moving parts in the engine and smooth the angular velocity of the crank, over the cycle. The resulting more constant angular velocity of the crank makes the force powering the wheel smoother and more constant. The smoother force output has smaller peaks of force that the tire has to manage. The peaks are the point where the tire begins to slip when on the edge of the tire's traction, so lower, smoother peaks means more traction when putting down power.

Applied to a triple, this is definitely marketing. Making a triple with anything other than a 120 crank would be a lot heavier to balance among other things. Maybe they came up with something awesome that none of us are great enough to think of, but probably not. They're jealous of our style.

aand I just realized all of that was covered in the linked articles

Last edited by pyroking339; 10-18-12 at 23:10. Reason: derp

Old 10-29-12, 09:52   #75
s9pa

Default Ruined ride .... :angry:

First MV and now the Japanese !!! The Triple is getting less and less exclusive

-------------
| 08 D675 |
-------------

Old 11-01-12, 11:01   #76
Bimoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by s9pa View Post
First MV and now the Japanese !!! The Triple is getting less and less exclusive
You'd think... but MV made a triple from 1966-1974, Kawasaki from 1969-1980, Suzuki from 1971-1977, and Yamaha 1976-1981.

So... MV and the Japanese were doing it long before Hinckley Triumph was.

If you wait long enough, everything comes back into fashion...

Old 11-03-12, 00:51   #77
sirhosis of deliver

Just been reading this topic on the R1 forum. Many there dont seem to think its such a good idea. Scared of change anyone?

Old 11-03-12, 01:10   #78
MacBandit

Yeah and everyone hated the crossplane R1 when it came out too. At least it's a true crossplane.

Old 11-03-12, 01:20   #79
sirhosis of deliver

I just dont understand it though. People complain over there that the R1 is too heavy and bulky, yet wont embrace technology that will help to reduce engine weight and size.

Others see it as a step backwards because they dont think a triple can make enough peak HP ( which is so important apparently) to rival the front runners of the superbike class. Maybe not as a 1000cc bike but with a capacity of 1100/1125cc or there abouts I cant understand why it wouldnt be a viable option?

Old 11-03-12, 01:23   #80
MacBandit

It's not really going to help with weight and power should be about the same as the R1. Remember the R1 lost peak power when they went to crossplane. I think people are worried they are going backwards again. The weight issue is the stupid exhaust systems all brands have to carry now to be compliant. They're all heavier then they use to be just some are better liars with their specs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement