New Kawasaki Ninja 300 and Ninja 636 Announced - Page 4 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Daytona 675 & Street Triple 675 Global Forums > News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports

News, Announcements, Tests and ride reports any and all 675 ride experiences and news

Old 09-28-12, 12:00   #31
OKStriple

I guess I'm missing something because I thought the success of the Ninja 250 was as a beginner bike for 14-16 year olds who can be legally licensed to ride a 250 or smaller in the US, but can't ride a bigger displacement till after 16.

Isn't that the core market for the 250cc bikes and wouldn't a 300cc bike be completely cut out of that? I'm not saying the 300cc wouldn't be a better bike, I just don't understand the target market. I suppose there are those older than 16 as new riders that would go for the slightly larger 300cc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-12, 12:16   #32
Neanderthal

I'm guessing the target audience is the person that wants the Ninja250 with just a tad more powa. Not a bad idea at all, I bet they sell tons of them. About the only thing I didn't care for with my old Ninja was that it was sort of ugly (compared to modern sport bikes). I had moved on by the time the updated 250R came out. I would have been all over the 300 if it were available then. I had a lot of good rides and times on the 250, things just didn't happen quite as fast, lol.

Old 09-28-12, 14:11   #33
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

Not just 14-16 year olds, but any noob wanting to start with a sportbike instead of a cruiser like the Rebel 250. I started on a Ninja 500EX. My wife was thinking of getting a Ninja 250 (since they don't make the 500EX anymore), but was turned off by the lack of FI and high highway RPM's. She was riding my FZ6R, but doesn't like how heavy it is (she dropped it backing out of the driveway and couldn't pick it back up; that led to a fear of dropping it when no one was around to help her). This 300 may hit her in the sweet spot. More power, FI, looks great, and very light.

Trinity's Build Thread

Old 09-28-12, 19:28   #34
tnr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastybutler View Post
This 300 may hit her in the sweet spot.
That sounds unpleasant.

tnr

Old 09-28-12, 19:54   #35
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
That sounds unpleasant.

tnr
I feel bad for the women you've slept with...

Trinity's Build Thread

Old 09-29-12, 17:32   #36
tnr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastybutler View Post
I feel bad for the women you've slept with...
Hahaha. OHHHH, THAT kind of 'hit her', lol. I was thinking more like, a baseball bat. Yes, yes, we're apparently 16 years old.

tnr

Old 09-30-12, 11:50   #37
chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalExplorer38 View Post
I agree! All the rider aids do is teach new riders to rely on the technology. What happens if that rider moves up to a bigger bike without all the aids? All of a sudden, their poor techniques learned from an overly forgiving bike can turn into a dangerous situation. It's more or less learning to ride again. I'd rather not see slipper clutches, TC, or ABS on beginner bikes ...

That said though, the new Kawi lineup looks awesome. It's about time the 250 is FI, and the new 300 and 636 are nice touches. I like where Kawasaki is going!
So Newbs should just get into accidents rather than be saved by the technology aids that are available. Why wouldn't you want to get something "safer" for your first ride? If they get a bigger bike they may be able to get abs on that, if not at least they will have experience on a bike, which will help then avoid a lot of mistakes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 10-01-12, 10:31   #38
TRMN8TR

I think his point is that a lot of these rider aids allow you to develop bad habits that you don't realize you are even doing. It's better to just do it right, than to have the motorcycle allow you to do it wrong but fix the mistake.

Old 10-01-12, 10:46   #39
MetalExplorer38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8TR View Post
I think his point is that a lot of these rider aids allow you to develop bad habits that you don't realize you are even doing. It's better to just do it right, than to have the motorcycle allow you to do it wrong but fix the mistake.
Exactly. Overall, all the rider aids manufacturers are putting into their bikes are pretty impressive. However, I'd rather know that I'm capable, as a rider, to handle proper technique on any bike. I'd also rather see a rider get these techniques down with a smaller, more forgiving bike.

On topic, though, I stopped my my local dealer to take a look at the 300. Very nice bike. Well made, fit and finish is quite good, and feels like a good, comfy bike. I didn't see any of the other new models therem, yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement