Whats your Opinion on speed cameras (I'm an american) - Triumph675.Net Forums
Home Forum Browse Members Calendar Register Today!  

Not A Member Yet? Register today and become part of the community.
Go Back   Triumph675.Net Forums > Regional forums > United Kingdom

United Kingdom UK Forum, rides, get togethers and events

Old 04-29-12, 21:41   #1
DriftingMustang

Default Whats your Opinion on speed cameras (I'm an american)

Ok, So I was wondering what is the European and UK opinion on traffic cameras and your opinion of the lack of them in the US.

Ive been doing some research and here in the US, speed camera's are extremly rare, Ive never seen one in my life on this continent (diffrent story when i go to other countries how ever). In the US Its hard to even implement them because it often loses in legislation. when it does pass they often run into legal issues. I know some of our supreme court rulings surprise and sometimes confuse foriegners (at least according to the people ive met and news articles Ive read), but alot of people here (me included) will not trade freedom for safety. of course the general consensus on issues from region to region, Example, many Californians feels guns are evil and dangerous while Texans wonder how can live without one (or ten lol).

Personaly I think it's wrong. I acknowledge most people break laws when big brother isnt watching and thats how it should be. The goverment is to keep order not control. just my 2 cents.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-12, 15:43   #2
Hostyle

As I said in another thread, I believe Holland (The Netherlands) has the most speed cameras per square mile. The initial thought behind them is speed regulation to improve safety. Nowadays, they're more and more used as mobile cash cows...

In Holland, when you're caught, you're caught. You can protest against the ticket, but you'll have to pay first. Not many people get out of paying. Tickets aren'y issued on persons, but on cars. You as an owner are responsible for paying.

Do I agree with speed camera's? Yes, under certain circumstances. When they're placed at known black spots in order to lower average speeds, they're fine. I don't see them as 'big brother is watching'. Go past them at normal speeds, then blast off in to the distance. Undercover police cars... they're a nice bunch ;)

Old 04-30-12, 16:06   #3
DriftingMustang

In the US its easy to get out of a red light or speed camera ticket (assuming speed camera exist in your area) nearly a 100% of the tickets payed were never legaly binding in the first place. They are honestly paid because people find it more inconvienient to go to court since it doesnt add points to your license. here its innocent till proven guilty, and and you have to be served the ticket by a person (not through the mail) for it to be valid. the camera operator has to show up to court to testify. personaly ive gotten out of a ticket a cop personaly caught me for, pulled me over, and wrote me up.

Old 04-30-12, 17:37   #4
bballman01

Send a message via AIM to bballman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostyle View Post
Do I agree with speed camera's? Yes, under certain circumstances. When they're placed at known black spots in order to lower average speeds, they're fine. I don't see them as 'big brother is watching'. Go past them at normal speeds, then blast off in to the distance. Undercover police cars... they're a nice bunch ;)
Agreed
When they're used for genuine reason i dont think anyone has a problem with them, but more often then not they're not nessesary and put in places which aren't dangerous but have a high enough traffic flow to catch people out.
Im sure a fair number if accident have even been caused by people staring at their speedo and not the traffic in front.

Old 04-30-12, 19:41   #5
NZ675

In New Zealand, the most common type of speed camera is a radar-triggered camera mounted in an unmarked van by the roadside so they can be moved about. They're Ka band activated and my radar detector will pick them up at about 400 metres range so it's no big deal. They're the only ones I have any familiarity with.

You'd be wrong to think of them as a "safety aid" though. I'm pretty sure that few if any studies throughout the world have been able to prove a correlation between speed cameras and a reduction in accidents. They're pretty much a straight revenue-collecting device.

I know Americans defend their freedom vigorously, even when safety issues are concerned. The choice to wear helmets or not would be one example. I can understand this, but wonder in the case of a head injury when not wearing a helmet whether the injured party should lose the right to priority treatment etc. I would have thought that there have to be consequences arising from freedom of choice.

Old 04-30-12, 21:25   #6
DriftingMustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ675 View Post
In New Zealand, the most common type of speed camera is a radar-triggered camera mounted in an unmarked van by the roadside so they can be moved about. They're Ka band activated and my radar detector will pick them up at about 400 metres range so it's no big deal. They're the only ones I have any familiarity with.

You'd be wrong to think of them as a "safety aid" though. I'm pretty sure that few if any studies throughout the world have been able to prove a correlation between speed cameras and a reduction in accidents. They're pretty much a straight revenue-collecting device.

I know Americans defend their freedom vigorously, even when safety issues are concerned. The choice to wear helmets or not would be one example. I can understand this, but wonder in the case of a head injury when not wearing a helmet whether the injured party should lose the right to priority treatment etc. I would have thought that there have to be consequences arising from freedom of choice.
Thats the main argument for installing helmet laws actualy. well, actualy sorta. its the cost thats an argument. responders arent gonna make sure you have insurance before treating you. im my expierience they ask once you r stable and concious. you could die while they were sorting that out. if you have insurance your good financialy, if not, your financialy boned, you wont get further (or much more anyways) treatment and your cost trickles to others. we dont have national health care, (as im sure you know) so it drives up the costs for those responsible enough to have insurance. that is where our health care system debate comes in.

Old 05-27-12, 05:08   #7
Lenny675

Default Cameras

Speed cameras are fine in villages, outside schools, parks and shops. I much prefer them to the speed bumps, traffic calming and chicanes installed in the areas I live. These do nothing but damage to suspension and bums alike.

Cameras have no place in the countryside and on open roads.

Old 05-27-12, 08:17   #8
DuaneDibbley

No problem with them being used to pick up clowns doing 50+ kph over the legal limit and in areas where too many people smear themselves over the road side.

Not cool with them being used as gratuitously as they are in this country for the sole reason of raising money. Some are set to go off with only 3kph over the limit!

And of course radar detectors are illegal.

Old 05-29-12, 12:13   #9
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny675 View Post
Speed cameras are fine in villages, outside schools, parks and shops. I much prefer them to the speed bumps, traffic calming and chicanes installed in the areas I live. These do nothing but damage to suspension and bums alike.

Cameras have no place in the countryside and on open roads.
I agree 100% with that (as long as you are excluding villages from the countryside). I do find that most seem to be reasonably placed, and are marked. The ones that were on open roads seem to have been removed. I still don't see the point in the camera's on the M6 though, except to encourage people to use the T6!

Old 05-29-12, 16:49   #10
Smoke

Speeding is a virtual offense, as it harms no one in itself and is therefore victimless, and should by any logic not be punished. Virtual offenses are just a step away from Thoughtcrimes

If you find wearing proper gear's too hot, you're just not fast enough !

Dual Desert Eagle EBB ? MER IL ET FOU !
Viendez nolifer avec nous sur le salon #Airsoft sur IRC !
Et jouer avec Ploubalairsoft entre le 22 et le 35

Sponsored Links
Advertisement