Triumph 675 Forums banner

GoPro Hero3

11K views 96 replies 36 participants last post by  !!675R!! 
#1 · (Edited)
Looks like everyone needs to add something else to their Christmas list, GoPro has done it again, they just came out with a newer, thinner, lighter, better quality camera

It will come in 3 models

White (which is base) - 199
Silver (that will have alittle better quality than the white) - 299
Black (which will be the Pro edition that will offer movie quality) - 399

Release Date: Oct 22

http://gopro.com/hd-hero3-cameras

Here is CNet overview

http://m.cnet.com/news/tiny-gopro-hero-3-black-edition-captures-4k-video/57533878

So unless the Hero2 goes down under 150 I would wait til Hero3

#45 ·
Picked up a Hero 3 black edition earlier this week. My friend and I went out for a ride earlier today and shot some videos. This is my first GoPro so I can't compare it to the previous versions but the video quality is pretty stunning at 1080p and 60 fps.

We had a slight hiccup trying to view it, probably just user error, I transferred the videos to a usb flash drive and attempted to play it through my 360 on my tv. The sound however wasn't synced with the video correctly, the sound played like normal however the video was choppy. We ended up just watching the clips on my HD monitor. Anyone have an explanation for the problem running it off a flash drive?

#57 ·
Correct, it is the Kittiwake. We did stingray city today, and one of the little bastards bit me. I've got 3 more days of diving left before I gotta go home. Man, I don't want to leave. You guys have a beautiful island here. So far, my favorite of the Caribbean.

I'll throw up another picture. Just because I like spamming them out.

#59 ·
Lol, the stingrays are a good excuse for showing up to your gf/wife with a big hickie, I've had a few from them, they can be quite friendly when you have a piece of squid in your hand.......glad you're havin a good time on our little slice of paradise! If you see a black or a caspian blue Daytona running around don't be afraid to stop us, would be cool to meet a fellow 675 rider. Enjoy your trip mon!

#62 ·
From a few of the videos I have seen comparing the hero3 black vs. hero3 silver vs. hero2, they said that the silver and hero2 are very close spec wise. Can anyone expand on that? Im thinking about getting the black or silver, but if I get a sick deal on the hero2 black friday/cyber monday...

#64 ·
Just took the Hero 3 black edition to the track. Unfortunately the videos I took are not worth sharing. I used the suction cup mount to capture the video and the videos are far too shaky to warrant anyone else watching them. Lesson learned so next time I will know which mount to use. Even though the video itself is shaky the picture quality when connected to my television through a micro hdmi is pretty amazing.

#65 ·
Where did you mount the suction cup? On the flat part front of tank?

The missus just gave me a Hero3 Silver for my birthday and I got some mounts so keen to try out this weekend. She picked the Silver cos it's a "nicer color than the white" and the black wasn't out when she bought it. She now knows that they're all the same color but just have different internals ... Bless her :nod:

I saw this techmount mount that fits on the top of front shock stems but needs 53mm and I've only got 50mm on the Ohlins.

http://www.techmounts.com/products/?page_function=detail&product_id=92

Anyone else found something similar?

Cheers

#70 · (Edited)
ordered a hero3 black today. $319... Gave the below a shot I hope they honor it.

http://mikesbikes.com/
use promo code "welcome11" to get $50 bucks off. You could also try promo code "bargainbasket" instead to get $80 off but i am not sure if they will honor it. Free 3 day shipping.

*Edit* I used the code "bargainbasket" and will update this post if they approve and ship the product.

#73 ·
So sports authority has a 20% off coupon in the circulation which can be used with the gopro I ended up getting one when I finally found a store that had a few in stock. So $399-$80-5% cash back. They will be pulling all there gopro's shortly because they realized what people were doing. I reserved another one and will hopefully pick it up tomorrow. Most stores have the silver in stock, but the blacks are hard to find.

#82 ·
Not even an hour out of a tank? What size tank are you using. If I'm staying <60ft (20M), I usually have about 1000psi at the end of a dive (start with 3000, usually).

I'm going to the Galapagos Islands in 2015, so I'm looking at something a bit better than the GoPro. Either to try and find a used housing for a DSLR, or go with a Canon G-series.

#83 ·
Most of my dives are deeper than 20m these days, and in Queensland, you have to arrive back on the boat with 50 bar (725 psi) remaining. I have gone over an hour on some nice easy wall dives at Bunaken Island in Indonesia, even though some of those went to 30m and worked up from there, because you basically just stand there and float along. My problem is that I'm big (235lbs) and out of shape... need to do something about that (both for diving and riding). I use whatever tank the dive place gives me... usually 10.5L.

A compromise camera outfit that can be had on a budget is a Panasonic Lumix TS4 and a waterproof housing for it. I got my girlfriend a TS4 prior to our trip to the Raja Ampats last year, it gets better battery life and takes better photos than my Olympus Tough 8010, and it's waterproof to 12m on its own (i.e. stick it in your pocket when snorkeling). It has a flash, which is important, but of course it's not as good as an offset strobe.

#87 ·
I'm still new at diving (27 total, 18 of which were on my trip to Grand Cayman), but most of our dives were deeper on the first (30m-40m) and then the second was 20m+. Typically, they say to aim to be at 500-700psi when you get out of the water. 10.5L is about the same as 80's for us.

I'm looking for more than a typical point & shoot camera to take down if we're going to Galapagos (and even here in Puget Sound). So, I was looking at the "bridge" cameras like the Canon G series as well as the rebel series DSLR's if I can find a cheap enough used housing.

#89 ·
the battery drains a lot faster too if you have wifi enabled. I have the Hero3 black edition, with a battery pack, and it still drains fast. I recently went to PolePosition and used the camera for the first time... it did not disappoint. 1080p at 60 FPS, who could say no to that? I dropped it too during that day... lol. I didn't have it on the whole time recording, but I would say the battery life lasted about 2 hours of pure recording with the battery pack attached. I also had wifi on for a while, so that factors into it as well.

#91 · (Edited)
but I would say the battery life lasted about 2 hours of pure recording with the battery pack attached.
so take the battery pack off and divide the time by half and you're also around the hour+ mark...

gizmodo also was only able to get 88 minutes out of their battery life...
i ordered 2 spares... i hope a firmware fixes the issue and takes it to hero2 levels...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.