Triumph 675 Forums banner

New owner needs suspension adjustment advice..

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Videoguy 
#1 ·
Hi Guys and gals-- I am going to ask a few questions that many of you will laugh at but I have never done any of my own work. But this seems very simple. Background--my new to me 2010 came with the suspension set a maximum firm for riding at Daytona raceway.

On a normal road(street) when I hit one of the in need of repair sections the bike would send a jolt up my spine. To soften the ride I did 5 clicks on the rear shock(Ohlins) and the same on the front forks at the bottom adjuster. With this adjustment it felt much better but needs a little bit more to lessen the harshness.

Next step is the spring preload. The shock has a large black knob so all I need to do is mark the starting point with a sharpie and turn left one complete turn. Up to the top of the front fork. The hex nut (17mm?) needs 2 complete turns and the shock needs one.

My question is this--Is all this correct??????

PS- can I turn the hex nut 2 full turns left and not create any problems with the front forks. Like the hex nut coming off at 70mph:rofl2:

#7 · (Edited)
i have a 2012 STR and weight 175lbs. i setup mine following these settings i found here on the forum and then tweaked from there. i'm running it a little softer on compression on front and i'm running 2 lines of preload on the front forks.

remember that when it's colder temps the suspension will be stiffer.

edit: also, when you adjust the front fork preload, either take the weight off the forks or adjust side to side gradually.

reposted:

Front Fork
Rebound Dampening (top screw by triple)
2 clicks out from full in position
Compression Dampening (bottom screw by axle)
4 clicks out from full in position
Preload, 3 lines visible

Rear Shock
Rebound Dampening (bottom screw on shock)
5 clicks out from full in position
Compression Dampening (top screw on shock)
8 clicks out from full in position
Preload 1.5 inches from top threading to top of collar

#10 ·
It seems the previous owner replaced the rear shock with an Ohlins unit, and most likely had it valved and sprung for his weight and most likely for track use. If it were me, I'd try to contact the original owner and find out how he had it setup and start from there. Any settings you give him could be way off, especially if you do not have Ohlins on your bike. At a minimum, I'd get basic setup info from the Ohlins site, start from the middle and adjust from there, but as I said that is guessing. Also go here for an explanation of basic setup.

http://www.sportrider.com/suspension_settings/suspension_setup/146_0402_suspension_setup_guide/viewall.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.