Triumph 675 Forums banner

Disabling Exup valve with TuneECU??

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Disrupt 
#1 ·
I'm new to all of this. I finally got the cable and software installed.

I noticed there's a map in there called "Exhaust Valve" and it's based on engine RPM and percentage that the valve is opened at those RPMs.

I was going to set them all to 100%, but my buddy said that won't work, and that you have to open up the servo motor and force it to be open.

Is there a reason I can't just change the map to just have it always opened? Seems like that would work, no?

#2 ·
If you look to the left of TuneECU, where the different maps are, you should see a tab called devices, to keep your EXUP valve open, you would just uncheck the device in there and it would remain open at all times verses just adjusting the valve map. Any of the other devices listed there can be disabled and the ones that open at specific rpm would remain open at all times once disabled. Also for future reference, try using the "Search" feature of the forums as most questions one can think of have in fact already been asked by many times before and probably have better explanations then myself.

#3 · (Edited)
you also need to disable it by removing the cable that opens and closes the valve and the actual motor. There is a very nice walk-through here with pics and it shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour to do. Good for weight reduction and getting rid of something that will eventually fail.

You can also change the rpm that the valve opens to something under idle, so that it remains open at all times if you dont want to disable it. They are known to lock up which is why most people will ditch them using the method above. All it is is removing the motor and cable and disabling it in tuneecu.

#4 ·
you also need to disable it by removing the cable that opens and closes the valve and the actual motor. There is a very nice walk-through here with pics and it shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour to do. But you must do this a long with disabling it on tuneecu.

You can also change the rpm that the valve opens to something under idle, so that it remains open at all times. They are known to lock up which is why most people will ditch them using the method above. All it is is removing the motor and cable.
This is not correct. All that is needed is to disable it in tune ecu and load the map. The EXUP will remain fully open at all times. no need to mess with it physically unless you feel like removing it for weight saving, appearance, whatever,

#7 ·
Thanks for all the advice guys! So what are the advantages of having it open at all times? I tried disabling it and it just seemed a little bit louder, but that's all.

Sorry, I'll try to search the forums more, my computer is down and having to use my phone makes it a pain in the butt to search! haha.

haha, sorry man, I couldn't think of anybody I know that had a 675 or other triumphs. I'm finally starting to do some mods to this bike, gettin tired of plain ol' stock.

#8 ·
I'm just tired of the CEL coming on. 5,000 miles on a brand new 2011 and the CEL keeps coming on. EXUP is already stuck. I guess I need to buy a cable and get the software . I am just worried of doing it wrong. Argh.

#9 ·
You can think of it as a preventative maintenance. getting rid of it will prevent it from staying in the closed position which can cause the bike to run shitty, it will throw a code when it gets stuck. It will make it louder at idle since it stays slightly closed to reduce amount of noise. Only other benefit is weight reduction which you wont notice really.

#10 ·
I don't really plan on taking it off until I get a full system, that way I can just do away with the whole thing. I'll just disable it for now. Thanks for your help.

I've already got 14K on this bike and haven't had any problems with it, guess I'm a lucky one? Or Triumph got smart with the 2012's??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.