Triumph 675 Forums banner

Dainese vs A Star

5K views 38 replies 15 participants last post by  Rink675 
#1 ·
I never really looked into the Dainese racing gear until today, I have always had my eyes set on the Alpinestars gear but after seeing video reviews and seeing what is available on the website I am starting to lean towards Dainese.

One thing I really like about the Dainese 1pc suits is the W zip up system and the titanium shoulder and knee protectors as well as some other things too but I am a shorter guy at 5'5" but I have always had a more stocky build especially in the shoulders and one of the reviews I watched was saying that the W system helps with broader shoulders and not pulling the suit up and making the crotch area tight like I have with the suit I currently own.

The suit I am looking at is this one: http://www.dainese.com/us_en/motorbike/t-aero-evo-p.html?gender=2&cat=9

I think for the price it really offers a lot, it's not the lightweight kangaroo material but it's 10X better then what I have now (cortec latigo)

I also really like the gloves and boots more then the A* gear as well but around here there isn't any place that sells that high end race gear to try on and compare for myself.

If you were in the market for new gear which company would you be looking at and why?

See less See more
#2 ·
RS Taichi will be my next brand of suit most likely and jacket. For gloves I stick with Held. I like RS, just because their gear is held to a very high standard out of Japan, their sizing is typically weird, so hopefully I can find a good suit that fits me, but right now my Alpine is still in great condition and have no reason to replace it.

My Alpinestar suit I got from TJ for a awesome price, but other than that I always think Alpinestar at their normal price is way to high for what you are getting compared to others until you get into their higher end stuff, and I think most of their gloves are total shit from my experience. Dainese makes great stuff, but all the bigger names do. Rev'it, Alpinestar, Teknic, Cortech, Held, Heroic, etc.

Just find one that fits you properly is what is important. Looks should be last on the list.

#3 ·
RS Taichi will be my next brand of suit most likely and jacket. For gloves I stick with Held. I like RS, just because their gear is held to a very high standard out of Japan, their sizing is typically weird, so hopefully I can find a good suit that fits me, but right now my Alpine is still in great condition and have no reason to replace it.

My Alpinestar suit I got from TJ for a awesome price, but other than that I always think Alpinestar at their normal price is way to high for what you are getting compared to others until you get into their higher end stuff, and I think most of their gloves are total shit from my experience. Dainese makes great stuff, but all the bigger names do. Rev'it, Alpinestar, Teknic, Cortech, Held, Heroic, etc.

Just find one that fits you properly is what is important. Looks should be last on the list.
Oh it's not looks, it's a benefit but not a priority. I was just hoping that someone similar in size to me can say what brands they found to fit better and others to not. I really wish there was a local store here but guess I will have to wait until I get out to CA and then I can go to the actual Dainese store and try the stuff on.

#7 ·

just a FYI, RS Taichi jackets are not made of the same japanese cowhide as their high end suits, nor are they made in Japan, but rather, they're made of brazilian cowhide from their factory in China. I, too, wanted a RS jacket to match my suit, but once I heard what it was made of, and from where, I passed

#8 ·
.. they're made of brazilian cowhide from their factory in China. I, too, wanted a RS jacket to match my suit, but once I heard what it was made of, and from where, I passed
lol... and 99% of all motorcycle leather gear comes from other very politically-desirable countries like Pakistan and Vietnam. Only the very highest, top-shelf gear is actually made in Italy or Japan.

#4 ·
Go to sportbiketrackgear web page and check out their RS T AICHI videos
Look up gloves such as EVO & WRX
Jackets such as T- Raps , GMX Motion , J826
Suits I do not have an example as I do not own one
Premium quality gear , awesome features , fair prices in comparison to how well the gear is put together :bowdown: if you decide to purchase the guys from sportbiketrackgear are top notch and will take good care of you :bowdown: in my humble opinion RS TaICHI is just as good but a tad cheaper

#5 ·
Dont know what RS Taichi gear you are looking at but it is typically not "cheaper" they are actually very weird about pricing and allowing stores to sell their stuff at a certain price. They are top notch gear, but it comes at a price which I am all for if the product is top notch.

#6 ·
You could go to Ducati Minneapolis to try on Dianese, SSB to try RS Taichi and Motoprimo for A*'s.
If you describe yourself as stocky RS Taichi may not be the way to go.
You may have to wait a while as inventories are pretty low.
CRA holds its new rider seminar in March at Motoprimo. They usually have loads of suits in at that time and offer a solid discount at the meeting. I would expect they have A*'s and Technic.

#9 ·
Oh crap I didn't even think to check a Ducati shop lol....thanks for the tip! I am actually leaving here in a month or so and wont be living in MN anymore. I am still upset that just two weeks ago Fontana had a trackday and the riding season here stopped months ago. I should have stayed in CA lol

lol... and 99% of all motorcycle leather gear comes from other very politically-desirable countries like Pakistan and Vietnam. Only the very highest, top-shelf gear is actually made in Italy or Japan.
Yea this is another reason why I wanted to buy Dainese, I would rather purchase from a company that makes something in their own country rather then out source jobs to lesser countries so they can profit more. Just the economics side coming out of me I guess....

#12 ·
I am a big dainese fan. I currently own a dainese Laguna seca suit that I bought used off Craigslist. The guy had crashed on it once but was still perfectly fine Just scratches. I crashed on it twice already and got an inch and a half tear on my right shoulder on the second crash (90+ mph) is where the shoulder protector is located so I keep riding in it since the rest of the suit is still in one piece. The next suit I get is definitely going to be a dainese. Gloves I stick with held for their rep. My held loves have also outlasted 3 crashes

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 ·
Cool thanks Moe. I will probably get a new jacket next year after the season, my Icon Overlord is still in great shape. Though it needs a bath really bad lol

I just love the RS style, and of course their top suits are amazing. I forget who it was that wrecked in one doing 100+ and slid on his back down a straightaway and the suit was hardly even worn.

#19 ·
Cool thanks Moe. I will probably get a new jacket next year after the season, my Icon Overlord is still in great shape. Though it needs a bath really bad lol

I just love the RS style, and of course their top suits are amazing. I forget who it was that wrecked in one doing 100+ and slid on his back down a straightaway and the suit was hardly even worn.
Stu,
You're body shape would have zero issues with RST. I, on the other hand, have to bust my ass to keep the weight down and if I gain too much I quickly get "out of fit" for my RST.

Danny Eslick crashed at the Daytona race @ 190 mph. The jacket is on display at Motoliberty Dallas. It looks in good shape still! :thumbup:

#24 ·
Ah gotcha, kinda weird it's only one side?

I've seen and heard this question asked before.
I even asked it myself..
I've used A Star, and Dainese.
I had a one piece dainese that felt solid (material wise) .... Thing was that on top shoulders felt great but on bottom legs felt saggy...
If that suit would have fit ok, i would have kept it, but I sold it for lack of fit.

I went onto an A Stars 2 piece. Jacket sized accordingly, and pants sized accordingly as well. The material of the A-Stars felt a bit thinner...

I stayed with A-stars because I like the fit, and because of their progressive, sporty designs.. Dainese designs don't inspire much in me.

As for gloves I currently use A-stars and Knoxx HAndroid gloves.. The A stars fit me like a glove ,,,,, DUH!!. As for boots I have always used SIDI, weather they were low end or top tier... I just like the way they look...

I'm sure you will find what you are looking for,,... good luck
Thanks for the insight, were the legs loose to where you thought the suit wouldn't hold up in a crash since it wasn't tighter on your legs or just comfort level?

#23 ·
Both good

I've seen and heard this question asked before.
I even asked it myself..
I've used A Star, and Dainese.
I had a one piece dainese that felt solid (material wise) .... Thing was that on top shoulders felt great but on bottom legs felt saggy...
If that suit would have fit ok, i would have kept it, but I sold it for lack of fit.

I went onto an A Stars 2 piece. Jacket sized accordingly, and pants sized accordingly as well. The material of the A-Stars felt a bit thinner...

I stayed with A-stars because I like the fit, and because of their progressive, sporty designs.. Dainese designs don't inspire much in me.

As for gloves I currently use A-stars and Knoxx HAndroid gloves.. The A stars fit me like a glove ,,,,, DUH!!. As for boots I have always used SIDI, weather they were low end or top tier... I just like the way they look...

I'm sure you will find what you are looking for,,... good luck

#30 ·
All my gear is Dainese less my gloves, those are Held Titans. I have a few pairs of the Dainese gloves, but I don't wear them on the track anymore. They are super nice, but I don't feel they give the level of protection I want, so I switched to the Held.

My suit is the Aero Evo P, and I love it. It fits my body type very well, but I'm taller than you by 5" so I can't say if it will fit you well. My boots are the Torque RS and I love them too. They are very light, but offer great protection. If you have a wide foot, they might not fit well. I hear the SIDI boots are better for wide feet. Hell, even my back protector is the Dainese Wave Con.

While we are on the subject of gear, my helmet is the NEXX full carbon. I have yet to find a better track helmet. The view angle is huge, and it's so light on the noodle.

All my gear is crash proven, and it held up fantastically. I hope you find something that fits you well.

#31 ·
I wear the dainese torque pro outs too. I haven't noticed any discomfort either at the track, long road rides, or just commuting. They're super easy to put on to boot.

I have a pair of sidi vortice air too. Although they do take forever to put on once you're locked into them you basically have two Abrams tanks on your feet. I low sided twice in mine one on the track Tarmac and the only damage done to the boot was a little scratch. Definitely try these on as they do run a bit large like someone else said. I fit perfectly into a 43 dainese but my 43 sidi are way too big for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#32 ·
Awesome, I still haven't gotten a chance to stop by the Ducati dealer and try on any of the suits yet. My weight loss program went down the drain for the last 2 weeks on my vacation and now I am paying for it lol.

Oh well, still have some time before race season starts anyway!

#34 ·
Yeah I tried on some Dainese gloves at the local Duc shop, don't remember what model they were but they felt much better then the GP pro gloves I tried on at another shop.

I really want the Tech air system but the D-Air costs like 4500.00 to get into the U.S. so now I am leaning back towards A*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.