Triumph 675 Forums banner

Leaving a parking spot

5K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  phiglit 
#1 ·
So when I get sammiched between cars/motorcycle after parking, I leave and can't make a tight enough turn to stay in my lane as I leave my spot. Im not sure if it's my hand positioning, but when I have the tires pointing to the right I can only twist the throttle maybe 2% unless I put the back of my hand facing forward then gripping the throttle, which is hard because of gloves/brake lever getting in the way. Do you guys get what I'm saying? Maybe I'll try to make a video. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Basically I'm struggling to leave dedicated motorcycle parkings (when a bike is parked to my right) or in between cars when needing to make an immediate right. I don't wanna lean super hard to leave either, unless you guys do it all the time and come out fine (not low siding)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#3 ·
I am going to guess this is your first sportbike?

If so take the weight off your wrist, use your core muscles and legs. Have you taken any type of basic riding class? If not do so they will teach you the basics to slow riding, going slow takes way more skill on a sportbike than going fast.

#5 ·
My first bike was a zx6r, then a 650r, and now my new (to me) d675. I've taken the MSF course a while ago, and would like to go back. The issue is because the handle bars are so aggressively positioned, I cannot give it any gas when it's fully locked to the right when I'm leaving my parking spot from a dead stop, I just have no room to twist my wrist. I can't clutch out of there because I'm in San Francisco and a lot of spots I park are at slanted meaning its like a little hill, thus making clutching impossible to get out of a parking spot. I'm getting a little better at u-turns though. I think this makes much more sense. Picture below is how steep most of the parking is. At least them seem steep to me lol.

Attachments

#8 ·
Just adjust the angle of the clip-ons, as I've described here many times. :thumbup:

#9 ·
I feel your pain... The same happens to me. I solved it like smoke says, you just adjust the clip on angle and also grab the throttle close the the end of the grip. My building's parking also has some tight manouvering spots that need throttle at full lock...
Hope this helps...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#10 ·
flip your OEM clip ons or get some heli bars. Still wont solve the problem though.

#11 ·
I didn't get the whole post but I think it's something to do with getting out of tight spots.

- You DON'T have to be sitting in the seat to maneuver the bike out of a tight parking spot. Get off the bike, stand it up right, put up the sidestand and simply walk the bike out. When going forward your hands should be on handlebars covering the brake. When attempting to move bike backwards, have the left hand on left bar and right hand should be on back seat pushing.

- If you can't make a tight turn...you can always simply lift up the back of the bike and move it a few inches at a time

- You can turn a bike around without moving an inch. You simply pivot it around on the side stand (you need to lean the bike a bit so at least rear tire is off the ground)

#13 ·
If it's a really tight spot and if i dont have enough room to ride forward and lean the bike to turn right, I just walk the bike out like Red October suggested to you already. It's not worth it for me to damage somebody'car or the bike.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 ·
^^ hmm thanks I never though about just pushing it out lol, but most of the time it's in a high traffic area so I don't have room/time to do so. I push it into my garage space every night though. I think I can do make it out of tight spots now with a little practice this morning.

#15 ·
I think some parking lot practice is in order. Practice makes perfect. I personally don't think you should ever to get off your bike to maneuver it around. Plan on how you will exit the parking spot before you park it.

Also sometimes this helps. Kickstand Pivit
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDARCnMgaXM"]Kickstand Pivot HID - YouTube[/nomedia]

#16 ·
I think some parking lot practice is in order. Practice makes perfect. I personally don't think you should ever to get off your bike to maneuver it around. Plan on how you will exit the parking spot before you park it.

Also sometimes this helps. Kickstand Pivit
Kickstand Pivot HID - YouTube
Love the pivot, use it in my garage/driveway all the time! Learn it, use it wisely!

#17 ·
WTF Pivot!!! This is new to me and seems legit. Our kickstands will hold up?
This seems much easier then shuffling back and forth in my 1 car garage.

#20 ·
I always park nose up-hill if I possibly can. Even if it is parking nose into the curb. Since the kickstand pivots to the rear, if for some reason the bike pops out of gear it won't fold up the side stand and flop over.

Ask me how I got into that habit. Go ahead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.