Triumph 675 Forums banner

09+ cylinder head on 06 engine?

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Toothless675 
#1 ·
Do you guys know if it's possible. Since I haven't seen anything about it before, my guess is that's because it won't work. As I probably incorrectly recall, the changes to the top end that mate with other systems were limited to the cam profile and exhaust port shape, so that would supposedly work right? I'd be adding the appropriate exhaust and tuning it. I'm bored in class and got thinking so I thought I'd there it out here

#2 ·
To the best of my knowledge, it should work. I even think one of my older engines had a 2010 head on a 2007 block, but i can't remember.

The head gaskets are the same, as well as cams (not profile, but size), pistons, rods, valves, cam chain, etc. The big difference is the port shape and exhaust area.

You'll have to use the newer cam tensioner, cause the mount is different on the newer head. Obviously, the exhaust are different too.

#4 ·
Yes it will work. You'll need a manual cam chain tensioner for the new head though. The 2009+ Daytona has a hydraulic tensioner and the old bike does not. There is not provision in the old block for oil supply for the hydraulic tensioner so as I said before you will need a manual one.

Also you'll need a custom dyno tune since the new head flows completely different from the previous one and the old ECU isn't compatible with the new maps. Of course you could copy the fuel and ignition tables over but that doesn't get you any of the throttle smoothing and other half dozen behind the scenes maps that make it all work well so a custom tune is the best option.

Also you'll need the 09+ cams but that probably goes without saying.

Throttle bodies, injectors and everything else in the intake tract are the same. In fact the intake cam is the same as well. All the changes were to the exhaust side.

#7 ·
What type of gains, can be had from performing the head swap?

#9 ·
Thanks for responding. I was hoping I'd hear something from you on this.
Not doing this for sure. I was just wondering if this would be an option when I eventually want to get more out of the engine. I've heard the ports are better than the gen 1 and there are more exhaust options for the gen 2 exhaust ports. Just another potential direction to go with the modding

#10 ·
It's really not an option I would consider unless you are racing and need every last bit of power. If you need a new motor then picking up a used 09+ is another good option. If you have an older Daytona and are just looking for power then cam timing and a dyno would be a good place to start. After that then port the heads and more dyno work. There are a lot of options out there.

#12 ·
True but with dyno tuning exhaust and the head you're still talking well over $1,000 for 5hp. You can get a lot more then 5hp with head work and a dyno tune on the old bike for less then $1,000. Obviously the most expensive part is the exhaust. For someone that already has a full system on the old bike it doesn't make sense to upgrade to a the new head.

#13 ·
I agree, except I'm still running the stock exhaust so I still have some extra poundage to lose and power to gain from the exhaust. I've been directing my limited funds to controls related things so far. The exhaust options are a lot of it. Being the picky person I am, if/when I get to the point of getting a new exhaust, I'd rather get the one I want while I'm at it, as well as take care of the porting at the same time and hopefully get it all taken care of at once.
But being a little more realistic, it'll probably get put off for a couple seasons and by then I'll hopefully be consistently making money and will end up just buying a second bike and it'll most likely be an 09.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.