Triumph 675 Forums banner

Clocks and rain

3K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  01xj 
#1 ·
I'm a relatively new Triumph owner. I bought my STR back in September and have since put 1500 or so miles on.

Previous to this, I was an all weather rider. I commuted on my FZ6 nearly every day for 6 months. Rain or shine, she took everything I threw at her.

Without having a flyscreen the clocks seem relatively susceptible to rain. I know they will have some type of seal to them though. Are there any precautions I need to take to ride and park in the rain? We have uncovered m/c parking at work, so it will sit in the rain all day. Is this kosher?

#8 ·
Just for your info that plastic cover you see on the back of the instruments has nothing to do with the instruments themselves it's just a decorative cover. It comes off just by pulling on it. The instruments themselves are seals and you can take a hose to them. The back side has some vent holes that are covered internally to prevent water intrusion.

Mine fog occasionally however but never from rain. Only when I ride from very cold wet to very warm conditions. I'll pull them apart one of these days and see if the factory didn't get the seal wrong or something.

Here's something to think about. This bike was made in England to withstand the weather conditions they have in England. Do you think you see more rain and fog then they do?

#9 ·
Around a couple of month's ago, i went on a ride and it started to pour torrentially. I carried on riding as there were no decent places to pull over for shelter. The iPhone i had in my jacket pocket broke because of the water....but i did't have a glitch with the clocks. And i don't have the flyscreen or visor.....i think they'll be o.k.

#11 ·

Attachments

#15 ·
Day one was from Windsor, ON to Colebrook, NH. 1200km that day in 14hrs. Day 2 was 600km from Colebrook to St. John. New Brunswick, where we got rained on the whole day, Day 3 was St. John to Craigmore, Cape Breton Isle. Total one way, 2235.8km.
Return trip was day 1 from Craigmore, Cape Breton Isle to Drummondville, QC, which was 1300km in 16hrs. Day 2 of the return trip was Drummondville, QC to home. Total of 4976.5km.
What a trip, I'll post pics in a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.