Triumph 675 Forums banner

Daytona 675 Headlights morimoto retrofit

17K views 86 replies 23 participants last post by  Daytonadick675UK 
#1 ·
Hi, all im new to this forum but not to retrofitting. I been building headlights for over 3 years now. I just picked up a nice daytona 675 black/gold. Before I even put 20 miles on it, i ripped the headlights apart and went to work. Original lights were one low beam and one high beam projector with silver bezel. So i decided to tare the lights apart and paint everything metalic gold and add morimoto mini projectors so now i will have 2 low beam and 2 high beam. The harness was custom made. I was going to use morimoto ballasts but they were to thick for where i wanted to put them so i used some cheap ass ebay ballasts.

Brackets

painting

test fitting

ballast placement

fitting everything for a nice clean look

Results

Output, i feel really good about the output considering i made the brackets 'eyeballing' and it came out perfect :)

See less See more
#60 ·
Well I was up till 4AM, but I got them installed! The light output and cutoff looks sick! An this was using the green HIDs for my car (30,000k). I ordered a 5,000k, 55W kit from DDM Tuning.

I'm going to have a few things for sale, including HID bulbs for the OEM setup, and my previous retrofit which was 2 low beam projectors from my WRX with 2 HID H7 bulbs, and 1 set of 35w DDM Tuning ballasts. Also have the 2 OEM projectors (high/low or H9/H7) themselves.

I also have those brackets and one spacer (as a template) for the mini H1 projectors. I got them for $50 shipped, ideally I'd like to get the same.

Feel free to PM me people if you want anything. I can ship it all Monday.

#62 ·
HIDs will give out more light to some extent, once you go into the higher light levels it is actually going to start turning blue and not giving out that much light compared to the more white colored.

Also once HIDs are fully warmed up and powered on they actually use less power.

#65 ·
they're*

way to regurgitate something you read online somewhere...

care to explain how something that lacks in light output, is more blinding at the same time?

:facepalm:
From the site
Well, this coloration is the result of the light projectors; the lenses: it's transparency, it's curvature, the tiny grooves etched into it; the projector assembly, the shield, and the reflector bowl. All these components work together to produce a signature of light unique to that particular optic's design. On the Audi and BMW projectors, the lens curvature at the edge bends the white light producing a "prism effect". White light is broken down to it's fundemental colors. Since blue lights is high energy, it is absorbed last and thus travels farther. So with this prism effect, you'll notice that BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom edges, but are always daylight white on the road and in the beam pattern. This phenomenon can be demonstrated when you watch an oncoming BMW hit a pot hole or speed bump in the road and the car's nose pitches up and down. The headlights will flicker and "throw colors off", but returns to a solid white beam pattern directly on the road.​
Trying to emulate this color-flickering effect with a solid-state blue or purple bulb is only detrimental to lighting performance, it doesn't fool anyone, but most importantly it endangers other motorists around you. Blue light has what we call a very high diffuse density, which causes it to radiate outwards as opposed to forwards. What results is a wide glow of light outside the beam pattern that is blinding to motorists you share the road with. A blue HID bulb will produce color bleed around the headlight, around the objects it lights up, outside of the beam pattern, and around the cut off line. This is effect is known as "glare", and these illegal and improperly installed HID kits are the reason why HIDs get a bad wrap. As common evidence of glare, observe a traffic light at night in a dimly lit area. There is red light and green light. Red is opposite blue and green is next to blue, thus we can substitute green for blue. If you observe the aura, or glow, of light around a red light and compare it to that of a green light, you'll notice that the green light produces much more glare than red. Blue is even worse. Purple, the worst.​

Here are some examples...

Above you are looking at two 8000K HID low beam and fog light kits installed on a GS300 (gs300). One of the foglights retains the orignal halogen bulb for comparison purposes.

What I'm trying to illustrate here is the glow of blue light (or glare) that radiates off 8000K bulbs. This glow breaks out of the beam pattern and blinds oncoming motorists. Also note how small the actual brightness gain is when you go from factory halogen to 8000K HID. Is it even worth your while?
Blue light also shifts the color hue of everything on the road to blue scale, which fatigues your eyes more than a standard halogen bulb, and it's brightness isn't that much of a marked improvement over a xenon-filled halogen bulb. As evidence of this blue eye fatigue, anyone in the Armed Forces, or anyone who is an astonomer/stargazer, knows to read maps and charts at night using a red light. This is because red light (on the opposite end of the visible light spectrum from blue) doesn't burn into your eyes and affect your night vision like blue light does. As an experiment, momentarily shine a red LED in one of your eyes and a blue LED in the other. Close both eyes and notice how the blue LED burns into your cornea a lot more than the red does. This is because blue light is higher energy and thus causes more strain and wear on the light receptors in your eyes than red light. Kind of like blasting your car stereo at 100db for half an hour straight would fatigue your ears.​
Color in light is caused by the absence of other primary colors; therefore a blue bulb is a bulb that lacks red and green hues. This also means that a white light is the presence of all primary colors of light. White light is more intense than any single color by itself. Why do you think those novelty black lights are so dim compared to regular incandescent bulbs? In fact a 5800K bulb is 800 lumens dimmer than a 4100K bulb made by the same manufacturer. It is also useful to know that 6000K is the highest marketed color temperature produced by the top lighting manufacturers in the world. Most bulbs marketed at 6000K are actually producing color slightly lower than 6000K. The reason 6000K is the plateau isn't because they physically can't make an 8000K bulb. It is because anything above 6000K is not effective as a lighting instrument. So don't believe those ebay auctions boasting "Revolutionary 12000K HID bulbs from Germany". That is just BS marketing gimmick at work.​

#66 ·
I found that explanation at

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

The last two paragraphs do a good job explaining it... Blue light is more fatiguing on your eyes than red light. The bluer the lights, the less overall light output becausarid the lack of the other colors in the spectrum.

You can get to a high enough color temp where youll eventually have a backlight. It's not very illuminating, but it does cause a lot of glare and strain on the eyes.

#67 ·
well to begin with, i don't have blue HIDs...

also, i'd like to see those comparisons done with actual HID projectors.

i'm well aware that the bulbs in my car put out much less light than say a 5,000k bulb. this is one of the reasons i chose to make them as efficient as possible by doing a proper retrofit.

you answering for home-skillet above doesn't help teach him to do a little research on his own.

#70 ·
well to begin with, i don't have blue HIDs...

also, i'd like to see those comparisons done with actual HID projectors.

i'm well aware that the bulbs in my car put out much less light than say a 5,000k bulb. this is one of the reasons i chose to make them as efficient as possible by doing a proper retrofit.

you answering for home-skillet above doesn't help teach him to do a little research on his own.
Huh? Who's answering for who? I didn't answer it for anyone except for my own curiosity.

I didn't say you had blue HID's. I have no idea what kind of headlights you have.

You brought up an interesting question that I knew was true but didn't know exactly why, so I researched it, found the answer, and then credited the site and summarized it on my own.

What's the problem?

#73 ·
This is exactly what I want to do to my headlights. I was actually looking at the Morimoto's on theretrifitsource before finding this post.
CMC, are you using the Mini H1 5.0's? If so I may have to purchase a bracket set from you. Just gotta experiment and wire things myself...

#74 ·
Just snagged the brackets and spacer from islandboyeee. Motorcycle dual HID kit w/ 55w ballasts and H1 5k bulbs from DDMtuning, and the H1 projector kit (mini gatling gun) from retrofitsource.

There is some custom wiring I'm looking forward to doing, and a few extra bits I'll have to figure out with hardware and this thread as a guide.

I'll get pics up as soon as I have things together to document my version of the mod.

#83 ·
I bought a set from the guy who made them. I've run mine for about 4k miles with no issues at all.

#84 ·
Finally posting these up!!! I finished my mini D2S 2.0 retrofit this summer, and decided to change from 35W to 55W 5,000k bulbs. Both are from DDM Tuning. Below is the comparison. While not very scientific, it obviously shows how much brighter and farther the 55W kit carries, but also how much it washes out the color. I feel much more confident riding at night now, and am very happy with the whole setup.

35W 5,000K

55W 5,000k

35W 5,000K

55W 5,000k

#86 ·
theres some ass around my area that has HIDs in a older grand cherokee and i feel like swerving at him everytime i see him. i have HIDs in my grand am, but i bought some fleabay projectors so i wasnt blinking the crap outta people, or at least not nearly as much.

this mod looks very cool and worth it, but just not in the cards for me right now, but hopefully down the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.