Triumph 675 Forums banner

Mallala trackdays

36K views 516 replies 20 participants last post by  Anon 
#1 ·
I thought it would be a good idea to post here all about Mallala instead of starting a new thread on every trackday.....
The next one track day is on 26/27 this month and the other one 10/11 next month.
Anyone is going to be there??

#369 ·
Pretty decent off, Pacific is the second fastest corner on the circuit so needless to say... not a great spot to high side (is there a good place to high side?).

Staying overnight in hospital now, will be having an operation tomorrow morning to wire my hand.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Attachments

#370 ·
Pretty decent off, Pacific is the second fastest corner on the circuit so needless to say... not a great spot to high side (is there a good place to high side?).

Staying overnight in hospital now, will be having an operation tomorrow morning to wire my hand.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Ahhhh shit mate that's no good - all the best for a speedy recovery. Bit hard to tell but the bike doesn't seem too bad - but it can be replaced!

#376 ·
Thanks for the support and kind words guys. Had surgery last night, seemed to go well. Got discharged from hospital this morning. Won't know much more till I have more X-rays in a week. Expecting to make a full recovery though. Will have the wires in for 4 weeks, then they'll remove them and I'll start physio.

#377 ·
If you can handle a little pain you'll be fine. I'm a sook and didn't do enough physio at home and the end result is less movement in my thumb. It didn't help that the missus broke the knuckle above the day after I got the plaster off!!!

Glad to hear you're out of hospital. Hope you had some pretty nurses to help kill the time.

Every coming back to Vic or is the Desal gig over?

#382 ·
There's not much left really... quickshifter or fork cartridges I guess. Marchesini wheels... I need a front wheel anyway.

Haha, nah I'll only be spending what needs to be spent to get it going again. I need to buy tyres for both bikes plus I need to take the cylinder head off the ER6, get it welded up plus ideally some cams and throttle body boring while I have it apart. If I do that I'll also need a powercommander for the Kwaka, so yeah... hadn't really planned on spending a heap of coin on the GSXR all of a sudden.

No major rush as I won't be riding for 6-8 weeks anyway. OB is going to bring the bike round to my place tomorrow morning. I'll remove the fairings and have a bit of a look at what she'll need then start scouring ebay for cheap parts.

#383 ·
He'll bring around what's left after he rapes it for parts that fell off somewhere between the crash scene and your front door...

Helpful bloke OB is...

#384 ·
'Hey! I resemble that comment!'

Well, all I know is that the Ohlins shock must have fallen off in the crash...certainly wasn't there when I loaded up the bike. The rear wheel was missing, too. That was a shame, because I know for a fact that model rear wheel will fit my race bike, and I could have made Rorz an offer on the wheel had it survived the crash.

As it stands I've had to fit 'another' GSXR750 rear wheel that I purchased in a separate transaction. I gave it a quick coat of paint just this afternoon...you know, just to freshen it up...

O.B

#386 ·
Better watch that protrusion while you swing those spanners....

#388 · (Edited)
For any that missed it there's a "Clem day" this Saturday at Mallala.
(comparatively cheap track day)

Weather outlook has the usual dose of "I'm not quite sure" so should end up being a good day.
AND
The Drifters are on afterwards, not before, so half a chance of the track being in reasonable nick (as far as La la goes anyway)

#389 ·
Yep, saw that one...but saving for racing instead.

For all sorts of reasons, I honestly believe that racing is safer than track days. Just lately there seem to be too many egos and too many people who don't know what they're doing at track days. (present company excluded, y'understand!)

You gonna be out there on Saturday then, David?

O.B

#411 ·
The thought has crossed my mind, however I fear rashing the Ape.
I assume Brackets would be my only option with the Ape (at least to have a chance of not being stone motherless last all the time) ?
Yep, Brackets would be your best bet.

Go on, give it a go. You'll love it! And you only need to go as fast as you want. But it's a different atmosphere and somehow more 'meaningful' than a track day.

I guess the biggest benefit is this - you will be riding with racers, so you'll learn good techniques and lines simply by observing the people you're on track with.

By comparison, at track days you're sharing space with everyone from the occasional racer to the worst kind of dangerous numpty available - it's hard to learn from others when the standard is so patchy.

Brackets, David. You know you want to do it!

O.B

#392 ·
Normally I'd be full of enthusiasm with equal measures of 'maybe depending on the weather'. For this track day championship round it's a bit of a bugger with family commitments this weekend and a birthday bash the next weekend. That leaves a Champions day at the end of the year that if going by last year, will be hopelessly oversubscribed. :(

Hey, I don't know what I'm doing! But at least I try to keep my lack of talent and out of other rider's way as much as possible. :)

#393 ·
Normally I'd be full of enthusiasm with equal measures of 'maybe depending on the weather'. For this track day championship round it's a bit of a bugger with family commitments this weekend and a birthday bash the next weekend. That leaves a Champions day at the end of the year that if going by last year, will be hopelessly oversubscribed. :(

Hey, I don't know what I'm doing! But at least I try to keep my lack of talent and out of other rider's way as much as possible. :)
I'll always try to be sure to keep my own lack of talent out there to help make up the numbers then!

O.B

#394 ·
Just thought I should stop lurking and say hi.:)
Can't make this track day (reocurring theme this year) but have probably said gday at Mallala in previous sessions.
I'm the biggest woman on the smallest bike (p5 100cc) usually- but just picked up a Street Triple R to replace my sadly departed SV which did get the occasional fang on the track. I'm sure the new bike will cut a few laps eventually...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#395 ·
Trailer's loaded so looks like I am committed.

Anyone wanting to share a shed give us a ring (or PM if you don't have my number).

See Cafe Racers' looking for another volunteer for the day - track day voucher on offer.

#396 ·
As always, a hoot.

Finally listened to all the good advice I have been receiving and got my suspension properly set up at the track today by Race Bike Services (at least I think that's what they are called).

Why didn't I do this sooner !!!
I had stagnated, with my best lap times staying pretty much the same for my last 2 or 3 track days.
I didn't time the first session after the suspension setup, but over the remaining 3 sessions:
- My average lap time improved by 1.7 sec/lap
- Smashed my previous best lap by 1.5 Seconds
- My "theoretical best" lap (pick of best sectors across all laps as measured by GPS) improved by 2.6 seconds and is now 2.5 seconds better than my best lap suggesting I have some improvement in me just through becoming more consistent.

Best thing is, I once again feel like I have much faster laps in me - just got to put it all together.
Prior today I felt like I had plateaued and track days were starting to become a bit "same same", but I am now fully motivated again.

Funny thing is I didn't think there was anything wrong with my suspension set up. Just goes to show once again, "we don't know what we don't know".

So if you haven't done it yet I suggest you read the above again.

#397 ·
As always, a hoot.

Finally listened to all the good advice I have been receiving and got my suspension properly set up at the track today by Race Bike Services (at least I think that's what they are called).

Why didn't I do this sooner !!!
I had stagnated, with my best lap times staying pretty much the same for my last 2 or 3 track days.
I didn't time the first session after the suspension setup, but over the remaining 3 sessions:
- My average lap time improved by 1.7 sec/lap
- Smashed my previous best lap by 1.5 Seconds
- My "theoretical best" lap (pick of best sectors across all laps as measured by GPS) improved by 2.6 seconds and is now 2.5 seconds better than my best lap suggesting I have some improvement in me just through becoming more consistent.

Best thing is, I once again feel like I have much faster laps in me - just got to put it all together.
Prior today I felt like I had plateaued and track days were starting to become a bit "same same", but I am now fully motivated again.

Funny thing is I didn't think there was anything wrong with my suspension set up. Just goes to show once again, "we don't know what we don't know".

So if you haven't done it yet I suggest you read the above again.
What times are you running mate.

Just waiting for a Daytona I like to pop up on bike point then ill be there. will be track/road bike.

#400 ·
Glad you finally bit the bullet David, suspension setup is massively important! Feels like you don't have to push as hard to run the same or faster laps, good stuff eh?

I was actually going to come out and volunteer as a marshall/whatever while the hand heals but they managed to get enough volunteers by the time I called. My cousin went out on the R6, said he had a good day.

#407 ·
Anyone want to buy some used track tyres?

I have 2 x Pirelli Diablo slick rears in 180/55R17 SC2 compound (perfect for 600)

$100 each

also have a front Metzeler Racetec 120/70R17 K2 compound

$80

Yo Rorz - Hows your hand going?

Started working on green machine yet?
Hand is getting a lot better actually. Still a little while off being able to ride again but I'm happy with the way it progressing. Haven't made a start fixing the GSXR yet, all in good time. :smile:

#414 ·
Yes it's a 2-day. Saturday is prac/qual/race and Sunday is racing.
Sup regs here:
http://www.motorcyclingsa.org.au/do...cerClubChampionSuppRegsandEntryFormC12151.pdf

$240 for 3 races of 6 laps where I would get lapped on Limited's lap 4.... No thanks!
Bring on historic champs at Mac Park... Super fun there :) (anyone else going to that?)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
From what I understand there will still be a ride day on the Saturday. I think the intention is to just have a couple races in the afternoon in place of the racers track sessions (ride day sessions will go on as normal) so that people that have just come out to the ride day can check out a few races on the Saturday and see how it all goes down with the hope that some of them might decide to give it a crack. That was what was discussed the other day anyway.

What bike are you running and what kind of laps are you putting in? I can't think of any bike combination that will result in only being able to do 3 races. You should also be eligible for Brackets which means you'll get 2 x practice sessions, 2 x qualifying, 3 x Bracket races and 3 x Limited races. Trust me, that's plenty of racing... you'll be shattered at the end of the weekend.

Even if you do get lapped in a Limited race... who cares? The guys at the pointy end of Limited are absolutely flying (sub 1:17 which is a freaking decent time on a sportbike) so there's no shame in being rounded up by a $15k+ GP bike or a little twin that has wheels worth more than your whole bike. :smile: They're also good riders so you'll find they pass you super clean. You'll be so entrenched in a battle with someone going your own pace you won't even notice them!!

Have you considered popping down to one of the race club meetings? Pretty casual affair, brief meeting about racing then a few beers while talking about bikes. I'm sure if you come down we can allay some of your concerns, everybody is pretty friendly and keen to get new faces out racing regardless of whether you're setting lap records or a mobile chicane. :laugh: Everybody has to start somewhere.

#412 ·
Yep, I will be racing the December meet.

David, bracket racing is good fun, the grid is well spaced so you only race the people in your row.

Four riders and you'll get to know there technique/strengths/weak areas throughout the day which makes for some pretty fun racing.

You've got the flash Aprilia right? I had considered bracket racing my 748, but int the end it was better to just buy the sv650.

Cheap, fun and easy to ride. After the weekend just gone, racing amongst other limited class bikes I can't think of anything more fun.

Unless you want to win an open class race, a 650 twin is a great bike for the two race tracks in this state.

#413 ·
Brackets is the only race you can do without race prepping the bike anyway (raceglass w/bellypan, lockwiring etc). From memory you can do 3 bracket races with your mirrors, numberplate etc removed, lights taped, water in cooling system. I think you'll also need case savers, side stand removed as well.

After those 3 races you can no longer enter under 'P' plates and will need full prep. That said it could easily take you 18 months or longer to get those three races under your belt.

I think you'd go well in Brackets, you certainly won't come last with those lap times. Depending on the field you might be battling for an outright win in Bracket 2. I can understand the aprehension of putting the Ape down, I'd hate to think what it'd cost to fix if you did a proper job on it. Maybe a $2-3k Limited shitter would be a better option?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.