Triumph 675 Forums banner

Flat tire! Oh noes!

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Nastybutler 
#1 ·
My brand new bike, just got to 500 miles on it, and I found her in the parking lot with a flat tire. Turns out, I picked up a nail on the way to a concert. Looks like I'll be getting a new tire with my first service.

#4 ·
LOL

if its in the centre of tyre get it plugged with a mushroom plug & vucanising glue by a good motorcycle tyre shop & it'll be fine, just had one in mine & fixed for $50, done 1500 klms on it since & all good
It seems now that every tire shop i have gone to they say not to use pugs anymore and that the correct way to fix the hole is to patch it from the inside.

I have always used plugs on my car/SUV, but never had a flat on a bike. I haven't brushed up on the current literature to fully understand this change. I can see the logic as a motorcycle tire is a different composition than a car/truck/suv tire, but I really don't know if patching a tire is better than plugging a tire. If so, why?

Can anyone comment on this?

Cheers,

Joe

TO the OP,

Which Tire was it, front or back? Don't know if you are a tire guy and wanted to upgrade, but now would be the chance! :thumbup:

#5 ·
Patching or plugging a motorcycle tire is a crap-shoot. I've done both, had both work and both fail. After my experiences, if I'm only going to ride around town at less than 50 mph, I'd be fine with fixing the tire. If I know I'm going to be pushing it on the twisty stuff, new tire.
One of the failures (on rear tire) was on the Interstate going about 60-ish mph. I pretty much lost the ability to steer the bike, I had to let it coast and gradually guide it to the shoulder of the road. If I'd been on a tight turn, I'd been in serious trouble.

#8 ·
I have had both good and bad results from using plugs. I use the gooey rope style that you can buy almost anywhere, I also use it with the sealant also sold along side the plug kits. If the hole has a relatively small diameter and you get the plug in deep enough and use the cement you should be fine. I had a rear tire with 2 plugs and never had any issues. I did plug a tire where the hole was made from a larger diameter screw, it worked for about a mouth and then started to leak, so I just replaced the tire.
It is not ideal to ride on a plugged tire, and I would not do very aggressive riding, if you do, plugged it keep checking the air pressure and if it starts loosing pressure, then replace it.

#9 ·
I had the same thing happen to me, I had my tire plugged for now but am planning on getting new tires this spring, but haven't had an issue yet with the tire leaking. I'd say its just a temporary fix.

#12 ·
This topic has been argued at least once a week since this forum began and we're no closer to a resolution on the topic. Thus far mosly the Neverpluggers have chimed in, but there's a hearty clan of Plugaways in the area too that should get to the party at some point.

Bottom line is this: If you are uncomfortable riding on a plugged or patched tire then you need to buy a new one. The last thing you need to have running through your head while riding is a worry that your patched or plugged tire is not going to hold.

I've done thousands of miles, city and mountain (no track), on plugged tires (rear only) with no problems. Do it right and it will last the life of the tire.

#14 ·
...Do it right and it will last the life of the tire.
Respectfully speaking - you can not guarantee this and it's potentially dangerous advice. Failure is not always due to the installation of the patch or plug. Motorcycle tires flex a lot more than car tires, which are what tire repair kits are truly designed for.
I've spoken with a few folks that have had a plug come out, and almost every case involved either higher speeds or lots of side-to-side transitions. Either scenario is not the time to lose control. When the rear tire rapidly loses air, it's extremely hard to steer the bike, not something you need to deal with when traveling at speed around a tight curve. Been there myself - I know how it feels.

#13 ·
Here ill be constructive. If you want to be a cheap rider like most 18 yr old fools then buy a little plastic patch. If you want a for sure safe way of riding get a new tire.

Also this did not need a new thread. There is a search function for a reason. Now you have two choices which one you go with is up to you.

#19 ·
Apologies. Didn't read the guidelines on what topics deserve threads or not. Delete this if deemed unworthy.

Is there also a list of local trolls? ;)
Don't worry about it. I too have been scorned by the triumph675 police for not obeying the not-so-transparent ground rules. :boxing_smiley: (maybe somebody can make a list?)

Back to the topic, the same happened to my brother. He went to pick up his GSX-R 600 and ran over a nail. He only noticed it when he came home (pushing a motorcycle with a flat tire is damn hard). Tried to inject the tire with some kind of hardening foam.. Didn't do shit. He's getting a new tire.

Cheers

#23 ·
I'm afraid so :goodgrief: Something quick so we could drive to a nearby dealer, but it didn't do anything. A new rear tire was the plan all along, but we thought maybe we could save some money and get there by ourself.
If you really wanted to save money, you'd have removed the rear wheel and just taken that to the shop. Saves on your labor cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.