Triumph 675 Forums banner

Not Steering Straight

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Geof3 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have a 06 Daytona which i just picked up and have been working on. It seems that it doesnt track straight. In other words the clip on's are pointing slightly off centre when im rolling straight. It doesnt seem to be crabbing at all. The clip on's do not appear to be bent or anything.

After comparing with my road bike (and convincing myself im not going crazy) it certaintly seems to be a geniuine problem. Im pretty fussy so ignoring it aint an option :)

Before i get all crazing assuming twisted forks or frames - just thought i'd post to see if anyone had any ideas of whats going on?

Cheers
Jp

#4 ·
Visually ive spent a fair bit on time hunting around the forks looking for damage / misalingment, but theres it nothing apparent - well not to me anyways.

I have to abmit i havent spend a lot of time looking round the rear wheel as it didnt feel like it was crabbing down the road - but i might have a closer inspection so thanks for the suggestion.

Leeham thanks for the tip - will be watching that vid a soon as i get home.

#3 ·
Perhaps it has been dropped/twisted instead? Dave Moss has a few vids on how the simplest drop can cause this and how to fix it:

Worked for my bike after the track day tyre changer "expert" dropped it off the stands without a front wheel on it and it fell on its right fork and twisted it. Clip-ons were off centre for years until I found this vid, and fixed it a few months ago with no issues.

#5 ·
Hi All,

I have a 06 Daytona which i just picked up and have been working on. It seems that it doesnt track straight. In other words the clip on's are pointing slightly off centre when im rolling straight. It doesnt seem to be crabbing at all. The clip on's do not appear to be bent or anything.

After comparing with my road bike (and convincing myself im not going crazy) it certaintly seems to be a geniuine problem. Im pretty fussy so ignoring it aint an option :)

Before i get all crazing assuming twisted forks or frames - just thought i'd post to see if anyone had any ideas of whats going on?

Cheers
Jp
Stupid suggestion: If clipons are turned slightly...stupid question: can't you just loosen the clipons and point them straight?

Are the triples aligned? There's a trick to check for it using straight bars that you can use to check upper/lower alignment. An alternative is here, the glass method.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_need_to_realign_my_forks_and_front_wheel

If the bike has been dropped, then it may be simply a matter of untwisting the forks. Mine had kind of the same problem: the upper triple was turned slightly to the left when the wheel was straight. Bike tracked straight.

Jack it up (either by the frame or using the pin stand), loosen the upper and lower triple, let everything rotate back into place. Don't even need to remove the front wheel for this (obviously don't use the fork stand...), just make sure you measure the height of the forks over the upper triple so you can set them back correctly when you tighten it down.

#9 ·
Dang, I love this forum... Always learning something new. I think that Dave Moss video should be a sticky... Since I bought my bike it always felt like the right clip on was a little closer to me than the left. It didn't seem to really effect the bike so I figured it was just me. I never knew one could correct a misaligned handlebar by loosening the lower clamp. So, low and behold I go out to give it a shot and sure enough fixed it right up. Took it for a spin and the bike just felt better, and much more balanced in my hands and body. It never ceases to amaze me how much little tweaks can change how a bike feels. Very cool!:cool2: great thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.