Triumph 675 Forums banner

Heat Exchanger to Oil Cooler

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  homer 
#1 ·
As many of you know the heat exchanger on a race engine is a weak spot and more than likely will fail at some point. The heat exchanger is just under £300 new. A crashed bike after a failure could cost much much more.
We've ran a few different fixes from various places and all have good and bad points but all have been lacking in something. So we asked our friends at H2O to produce a quality fix and here's the first one.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Grille Font Audio equipment

Automotive lighting Gas Rectangle Circuit component Plastic

Grille Hood Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Automotive design

Gas Auto part Circle Automotive exterior Electric blue

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#12 ·
It's best to stay vigilant! That's why I sleep with the old girl every night. The GF got upset at first, but I told her: "we only have room for 3 motorcycles, two people, and one dog in this bed. Are you really going to make me buy a new bike?"

She has been ok with it since. Jebus knows I'm not getting another dog....

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#14 · (Edited)
oil cooler

Hi Si,

surely looks like a quality piece.
Mine is rather samekind, but made by some R&D guys at BSS paddoc ,during sat-sun night ,I suppose.
It uses KTM fabricated radia and oilhoses are a lot of longer, surrounding the engine.

The other good point I`ve found out in addition to increased reliability of lubrication, is notably decreased engine temperature. Extra radia&oilcapacity achieve 5to10 degrees lower enginetemp according my experience.

timo

#16 ·
I've been looking for something like this for quite some time.

Where do you connect the oil feed and return lines? Do you have to use a sandwich adapter? Or is there an extra provision for an oil feed in the block near the filter? If that's the case, where does the return go?

Have you been monitoring oil temps with this setup? What sort of temperatures did you have before the cooler was installed, compared to the temperatures after was installed?

Moreover, do you have any idea what sort of temperature drop there is across the heat exchanger?

Thanks!

#17 ·
I've been looking for something like this for quite some time.

Where do you connect the oil feed and return lines? Do you have to use a sandwich adapter? Or is there an extra provision for an oil feed in the block near the filter? If that's the case, where does the return go?

Have you been monitoring oil temps with this setup? What sort of temperatures did you have before the cooler was installed, compared to the temperatures after was installed?

Moreover, do you have any idea what sort of temperature drop there is across the heat exchanger?

Thanks!
The heat exchanger is removed and replaced by the round silver manifold in the picture. Everything to do the job is in the picture except blanks for the two water hoses that are no longer needed when the heat exchanger is removed.
As Zupe said you can see a big difference in water temp when using one of these. Not had a seperate temp gauge on the bikes but on the stock clocks its 2 bars less than it was!

#18 ·
Thanks for the extra info! I see how it connects now. I didn't see the adapter in this picture when I wrote my first post because I was on my phone.

Now that I'm thinking about it, that adapter is probably the best overall solution for an oil cooler on our bikes because it replaces the factory heat exchanger. If an external cooler is plumbed in anywhere else, either using a sandwich adapter or one of the fittings in the block, it will work OK, but the factory heat exchanger will still be there working against it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.