Triumph 675 Forums banner

Larry Pegram's S1000RR for Sale

4K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Nyuscdjs 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Located about ten miles from my house, but it might as well be on the moon considering the gap between my discretionary funds and the cost of the bike and the even greater gap between my riding skills and the skills needed to take full advantage of this machine. :laugh:

#6 ·
Saw the add in the latest RRW publication... there's 2 available at 40k each. Ouch.

Nuno!

#8 ·
#14 ·
Haha on the WERA ad one, it says it's for beginners to experts. I know traction control and abs help, but not that much lol. The S1000RR is by far one of the hardest bike's to learn to go fast on (other than straight's lol). Straight away's are still hard because I feel like I'm holding on for dear life hahaha.

The one cool thing about buying it would be the fact you can go and get it setup by his crew and have a private track session with them. Sick looking beemer fer sure though!

#16 ·
I see the one on WERA is a 2011 vs. the one's on ebay that are 2012's. I still have a hard time believing it is Larry Pegram's AMA bike...that still has stock keyed ignition, turn signal controls, kill switch, etc. I'm pretty sure they do away with all that, no?

#21 ·
Not saying that it isn't his bike, I haven't seen the bike in person. But just a quick look at the pictures makes me have my doubts that is actually an AMA Superbike. Stock controls, ignition etc are the first dead giveaways. I've NEVER seen that on an AMA bike.

Might it actually have been owned/ridden by Larry Pegram? Sure. But it certainly doesn't look like his AMA ridden bike. It looks like a replica. Just sayin...

Either way, it's still an awesome bike and the seller should have no problem getting rid of it, Larry Pegram bike or not.

#22 ·
Here is my question.....what titles has any BMW S1000RR won? I don't understand why everyone drools all over this stupid bike, so it has straight line power and rules the dyno numbers. I would take a 2012 CBR1000RR, 2012 ZX10R or the 2012 Ducati 1199 Pinnagale S over that BMW any day!

The only races I have seen a BMW win are at the club level and that's about it......

#24 ·
Here is my question.....what titles has any BMW S1000RR won? I don't understand why everyone drools all over this stupid bike, so it has straight line power and rules the dyno numbers. I would take a 2012 CBR1000RR, 2012 ZX10R or the 2012 Ducati 1199 Pinnagale S over that BMW any day!

The only races I have seen a BMW win are at the club level and that's about it......
World Superstock 2010 and 2012. It's also the three years in a row South African Superbike Champion through Greg Gildenhuis. 2011 Australian Superbike Champion. 2011 Dutch Superbike Champion. I'm sure there are even more, just can't be arsed to drive the point home any further.

#23 ·
I love the bike from an engineering standpoint. I think it's a beautiful bike to look at in person. It might not be a championship winning bike, but for jumping in head first BMW certainly made a splash with their first shot at a superbike. I'm sure it will only get better.

#28 ·
Consider that a Yosh or graves bike would probably cost double that, I don't think it's all that bad of a deal. And, yes when you don't have the money to build a motor, the s1000rr is probably the best 1000 out of the box right now, which matters most to club racers and track day riders. No one would argue that the R1 is a great bike, but Graves dumps a ton of money into it and gets it going good at that level. How many r1's do you see winning club races? Not a lot if any.

P.s. Although I do own a bmw car and bike right now, I am far from a BMW fan boy. I have no brand loyalty or anything and honestly would probably get a zx10r if I were in the market myself...

#29 ·
Problem with AMA is that BMW isn't putting much money into US teams like Yamaha, Suz, Kaw or Honda. In 2013 it's rumored that BMW won't be backing ANY American teams, hence Larry's move to another manufacturer....to be announced. Given that Larry has poured his soul into this team on approx half the budget of the other top 10 teams, I think we need to give him the proper respect this 40 year old career racer has earned, right?

While I will never run a 1:23 at NJMP like Larry, I would be blessed to have the chance to ride that $75,000 race bike for the asking price. If I were only going to track the bike, I would take this over the HP4 given the high spec equipment, the engine work, and the suspension work that a highly competitive AMA race team built.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.